If you are unsure how to use herbs in cooking, keep reading because I am all about using fresh herbs!! Here are some cool ideas that will teach you how to begin cooking with fresh herbs. I am also giving you some yummy recipe ideas to get you started.
These are the best cooking herbs and they are so easy to grow! These green leafy herbs are sure to add incredible flavors to your recipes! Check out these tips on 9 Herbs To Grow In Your Kitchen Window!
How to use herbs in cooking
Before you begin cooking with herbs, learning how to use them is important. Some herbs are used more in savory recipes, while others are more commonly used in dessert recipes (think fresh mint!) You may also find a few herbs which can be used in sweet or savory recipes!
I challenge you to try using a different herb each week!! There are all kinds of herbs that can be used in cooking and baking.
Cooking herbs I love:
Fresh herbs to use with chicken and turkey:
My favorite herbs for chicken include basil, marjoram, sage, thyme, tarragon, and rosemary. These are all common herbs in many popular poultry seasonings. These would all taste amazing and be added to chicken or turkey recipes.
Here are some of my favorite chicken and turkey recipes with herbs:
- Homemade Chicken Pho (Thai basil)
- Ground Turkey Meatloaf (Basil)
- Grandma’s Chicken Soup From Scratch (Parsley and thyme)
- Chicken Taco Soup (Cilantro)
- Roasted Herb Chicken (Rosemary, Thyme, and Sage)
- Air Fryer Turkey Breast (Rosemary, Thyme, and Sage)
- Roasted Air Fryer Cornish Game Hens (Thyme and Parsley)
Fresh herbs to use with pork:
Fresh herbs taste delicious with pork!! Try basil, cilantro, savory, thyme, and marjoram with pork chops. Sage is another common herb used most often in sausage. You can use pork roast, pork chops, pork tenderloin, or any other cut of pork.
Here are some delicious pork recipes with fresh herbs in cooking:
- Grilled Pork Chops with Olallieberry Thyme Sauce (thyme)
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork (cilantro)
- Ground Pork Chili Mac Soup (Cilantro)
Fresh herbs to use with lamb:
Thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley, garlic, fennel, or rosemary will add so much flavor to lamb. Dill is also really popular on lamb chops.
- Herb-Marinated Rack of Lamb (Rosemary and thyme)
- Roasted Leg of Lamb (Rosemary and mint)
- Herbs de Provence Lamb Chops (Bay leaf, tarragon, and marjoram)
- Herb Crusted Leg of Lamb (Parsley, mint, and rosemary)
Fresh herbs to use with fish and seafood:
When preparing fish, you may want to use dill, thyme, basil or tarragon. Fish has a very mild flavor, and herbs will complement the fish no matter how you cook it!
- Grilled Coho Salmon (Thyme)
- Easy Grilled Halibut (Basil)
- Pan-Seared Rock Fish with Fresh Herbs (Rosemary, dill, and thyme)
- Garlic Dijon Herb Salmon (Parsley, thyme, oregano, and rosemary)
Fresh herbs to use with beef:
Want a quick way to add fresh herbs to a beef dish? Mix fresh, sweet marjoram or rosemary to butter over roast beef or steak. Herbs can be used in beef marinades or even crusted onto the beef.
- Grilled Steak with Fresh Pesto Sauce (Basil)
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast (Thyme)
- Roast Beef with Herbs (Rosemary and basil)
- Wild Mushroom Beef Stew (Thyme)
Fresh herbs to use with eggs:
Eggs may not be the first thing you think of when cooking with fresh herbs, but herbs can really add some zing to your morning breakfast!! I typically cook my egg dishes in my cast iron pan, it makes clean-up so easy.
- Garden Vegetable Shakshuka (Basil)
- Turkey Chili Shakshuka (Cilantro)
- Hatch Chile Cheese Grits with Egg (Chives)
Fresh herbs to use with vegetables:
Vegetables also benefit from the flavor of herbs. No more boring vegetables with these delicious vegetable recipes with herbs:
- 4 Easy Vegetable Marinades
- Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese (Thyme)
- Creamy Southwestern Corn Chowder (Cilantro)
- Curried Sweet Potato Waffles (Chives)
- Pizza Stuffed Hasselback Potatoes (Basil)
- Fresh Herb Potato Salad (Chives and Thyme)
- This Homemade Pizza Sauce is full of fresh herb flavor! (Basil and Oregano)
Fresh herbs in baking:
When was the last time you baked with herbs? Cheese and fresh or dried herbs work beautifully in these muffin and scones recipes.
You can find fresh green herbs or dried herbs in most grocery stores. However, it is important to remember that dry herbs provide a bold flavor while fresh herbs are generally milder. You must use 3x more fresh herbs than dried herbs for flavor!
TIP: Use dried herbs with fat such as when making a flavored butter or infusing oils. When using fresh herbs, be sure to crush the herb before using it to cook with.”
Remember that a little often goes a long way regarding herbs. You’ll want to experiment with your herbs, and if you don’t know how to use herbs in cooking, go light at first so you don’t want to overwhelm the dish. As you become more comfortable using a few herbs, you can begin branching out and trying more exotic ones!
Your go-to haven for gluten-free living, where I share hundreds of delicious, family-friendly recipes, helpful gluten-free resources, and allergen-friendly options for everyone!