Comforting Instant Pot Gluten Free Chicken Stew is simple to make and tastes delightful. Homemade chicken veggie stew is so creamy, just like an old-fashioned chicken pot pie. A perfect dish to enjoy on a cold night or for an easy lunch.
Hearty potatoes, green beans, carrots, and onions served over a bed of fluffy Jasmine rice and topped with flat-leaf fresh parsley. Seasoned with thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper, it can win over any crowd too. If you love chicken dinners as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my delicious gluten free chicken recipes.
(*This post is sponsored by Perdue Farms. All delicious opinions are my own.)
It’s just natural that when the cooler weather hits, soups and stews take center stage for many of our meals. I know that most households are the same way. The Fearless Dining home loves soups for many reasons. They have tons of flavor, are easy to make, and you can make a lot of it with minimal effort...leftovers anyone?
Have you tried Perdue Farms chicken lately? They aren't just chicken anymore! Over the last 10 years, Perdue Farms has transitioned from conventional chicken & turkey production to becoming the #1 supplier in the U.S. for Organic Chicken as well as a leader in premium Beef, Pork, Lamb, Pasture Raised, Grass-fed, Heritage Breed, Antibiotic Free (No Antibiotics Ever), Non-GMO, Ever, Certified Humane, GAP & more.
You can feel good serving Perdue meats to your family!"
You can now order Perdue Farms meats delivered directly to your home! Save 10% off on your first order and get free shipping on orders over $119 AND FREE Harvestland diced chicken! Take the guesswork out of grocery shopping by shipping Perdue Farms' most popular organic chicken products straight to your door. Order here today!
For every bundle purchased, Perdue will:
- Donate to Arbor Day Foundation, which is working to replant damaged areas of our nation’s forests.
- You’ll receive a reusable and recyclable grocery bag with every purchase.
- You will get a pollinator seed packet is also included in every box. These are so fun to plant and they help feed the bees and butterflies!
Are you ready to make this family-friendly gluten free dinner recipe?
The first step to making this gluten free chicken stew is to chop up your onion. Add oil to the Instant Pot and press the Sauté button. Add the onion and allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add your chopped vegetables and seasonings.
Lastly, add the chicken and broth to the Instant Pot. Close and lock the lid and press the Poultry button. When the Instant Pot beeps that it is finished, you can do a quick release.
How do I prevent lumps in the stew?
Put some hot broth into a small dish and add potato starch. Mix until the potato starch is melted in and then pour it into the stew. Mix the stew. The potato starch will be able to thicken the stew with no lumps!
Remove the chicken breasts and put them onto a cutting board. Use a fork and knife to shred the chicken and put it back into the stew.
Can I make chicken stew with frozen chicken?
Yes, that’s the great thing about using your Instant Pot to make recipes. You can use fresh uncooked chicken or frozen chicken for your recipes. Frozen chicken is going to take a little bit longer to cook than chicken that has been thawed.
Basically, if you decide at the last minute, you want to cook something and only have a chicken that’s frozen; you can skip thawing it out. How great is that?!
Is chicken stew healthy?
Yes, this Instant Pot chicken stew is very healthy. It’s packed with nutrient-rich foods and just happens to taste amazing too. Here is a breakdown of the nutrients for you:
- Potatoes - You’ll find that in many cases, potatoes get a bad rap because they happen to have a higher carb count, but they actually have valuable nutrients too. You will get vitamin C, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, manganese, and more when you munch on some potatoes.
- String beans - Don’t turn away from butternut squash because it is full of folate, protein, vitamin E, thiamin, niacin, manganese, vitamin B6, and more.
- Carrots - Ever heard of beta-carotene? It’s wonderful for you, and it’s found in carrots along with biotin, potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin B6.
- Onions - Surprisingly, onions have vitamin C, fiber, calcium, folic acid, iron, and protein. They don’t just add flavor to your food.
- Flat-Leaf Parsley - While it’s just used as a garnish in this recipe, it’s actually a great source of nutrients too. Calcium, potassium, vitamin A, iron, magnesium, vitamin C and a few others.
If you love using your Instant Pot, try this easy gluten free Instant Pot Taco Pasta recipe too!
How long does stew last?
Always allow the stew to cool down, then place it in a sealed container and refrigerate it. It will last up to 3-4 days if you have stored it correctly. It makes great leftovers and is perfect if you plan your meals out in advance.
Can I freeze chicken stew?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze chicken stew. I prefer to store soups and stews in freezer bags because they take up a lot less space. Fill the freezer bag ⅔ full of soup and remove any excess air. Then lay the bag flat until it’s frozen solid.
This way, you can rearrange the bags, so you have more room after they have frozen. Make sure to label the containers with the name and date, so you know exactly what’s in each bag.
To reheat the soup, place the bags in the fridge night before. If you find yourself short on time, you can also run the bags of soup under cool water, but you need to make sure there aren’t holes in the bag, so it doesn’t leak out.
Warm it up in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stovetop. Once it’s hot, it’s ready to serve.
Can you make this chicken stew stovetop?
You can easily make this recipe stovetop. Brown the chicken and vegetables with oil in a soup pot. Add broth and seasonings and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook 30 minutes. In the end, add the thickener.
If you love Instant Pot Chicken And Vegetable Stew you should try some of my other gluten free soup recipes:
- Roasted Acorn Squash Soup With Homemade Croutons
- Quick And Easy Instant Pot Homemade Chicken Soup
- Homemade Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Grandma’s Chicken Soup From Scratch
Instant Pot Gluten Free Chicken Stew
- 2 raw chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups carrots chopped
- 2 cups potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or light oil
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons potato starch
- Add the oil and onion to your Instant Pot and press the sauté button to pre-cook the onions a bit.
- Add in the vegetables, spices, broth, and raw chicken to the Instant Pot.
- Close and lock the lid and press the poultry button.
- Allow the Instant Pot to depressurize naturally, or do a quick release if you want to eat the stew quicker.
- In a small bowl, add 1/3 cup of the liquid from the Instant Pot. Add the potato starch and mix well. Pour back into the stew to thicken the juices.
- Enjoy over rice or alone. Top with flat-leaf parsley.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)