This creamy gluten free apple cake is completely fool proof, anyone can make it…yet it has the taste of a fancy bakery cake!
When my husband saw this apple cake recipe in the Wall Street Journal, he cut out the page from the newspaper and taped the recipe to my computer. Hmmm, wheat free and Celiac friendly, this is a big hint that he definitely wants me to make this. (And if you love caramel and apples together, give this gluten free caramel apple cake recipe or this gluten free French apple cake recipe a try!)
Mr. Fearless Dining is the master of subtlety.
The author had adapted a recipe by Aleksandra Crapanzano from “The Arrows Cookbook” by Clark and Frasier and Mark Gaier. (After tasting this cake, I plan to buy this cookbook. This cake is moist and creamy, but has a slightly crispiness to the top and edges that makes it hard to resist.)
You know I am always up for a challenge, so I set out to make a gluten free version of this cake. I found this cake really easy to convert to gluten free. I used my very favorite gluten free flour blend for this recipe. This one brand of gluten free flour by Bob’s Red Mill worked out perfectly. This easy wheat free apple dessert will definitely become one of your favorites.
This recipe has been one of the most popular dessert recipes on my blog, and once you make it, you will easily understand why. I have updated it slightly to include a few new apple recipes up on the blog.
I hope you love this quick and easy gluten free apple cake recipe as much as Mr. Fearless Dining did!
The gluten free cake batter for this cake is very creamy, and that is before adding the cream on top before it goes into the oven.
You will find that this recipe for gluten free apple cake is pretty fool proof.
Pour the cake batter into the cake pan, add the sliced apples in a pretty pattern, then top with cream. I will note next time I make this recipe, I will make it in a greased spring form pan. Although the cake didn’t rise over the top of my pan, there were a few moments I was really worried. (And I HATE cleaning my oven!!)
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Tools I Used to Make This:
- Cake pan: This cake pan is deep enough to make this delicious apple cake the perfect size for guests.
- Apple slicer: An easy cheat. I use this and it cores and slices my apples. To make the apple slices a little thinner in this recipe, I halved the slices again.
How to make gluten free apple cake:
Easy creamy gluten free apple cake recipe.
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 1 1/2 cup cups sugar reserve 1/4 cup to sprinkle on top of the cake before baking
- 8 tablespoons butter softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium apples peels removed and sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 10 inch cake pan with coconut oil.
- Line the bottom of the cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add sugar and butter and mix 3-5 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Sift together the flours, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the bowl, mixing on low, alternating between milk and flours.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Add the sliced apples on top.
- Pour the cream on top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup sugar on top of the cake.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
More Yummy Gluten Free Recipes to Try!
Click here to see all of the gluten free cakes on this blog.
Round out the meal. Here are some suggestions :-).