Gluten free apple cake is incredibly creamy and the recipe is completely fool proof, anyone can make it…yet it has the taste of a fancy bakery cake!
Learning how to eat gluten free so you can enjoy gluten free dessert recipes like apple cake is easy!
The Best Apple Cake Recipe
When my husband saw this moist apple cake recipe in an article in the Wall Street Journal, he cut out the page from the newspaper and taped the recipe to my computer. Hmmm, wheat-free and Celiac friendly, this is a big hint that he definitely wants me to make this.
The author had adapted a recipe by Aleksandra Crapanzano from “The Arrows Cookbook” by Clark and Frasier and Mark Gaier. (After tasting this cake, I plan to buy this cookbook. This cake is moist and creamy, but has a slight crispiness to the top and edges that makes it hard to resist.)
You know I am always up for a challenge, so I set out to make a gluten free version of this simple apple cake.”
How to Convert This Recipe to Gluten Free
Converting recipes to gluten free can be a challenge. Each gluten free flour blend behaves differently when combined with certain ingredients. It is truly like a chemistry experiment!
Luckily, I found this apple cake recipe really easy to convert to gluten-free. I used this gluten free flour blend for this recipe. This brand of gluten free flour by Bob’s Red Mill worked out perfectly. I have also made this recipe with Authentic Foods MultiBlend Gluten Free Flour mix.
This easy wheat-free apple dessert will definitely become one of your favorites.”
This recipe has been one of the most popular dessert recipes on my blog, and once you make it, you will easily understand why. I have updated it slightly to include a few new apple recipes up on the blog.
Steps to Making a Fool Proof Gluten Free Apple Cake
The gluten free cake batter for this cake is very creamy, and that is before adding the cream on top before it goes into the oven.
You will find that this recipe for gluten free moist apple cake is completely foolproof.”
What kind of pan do you bake an apple cake in?
You have several cake pan options when you make this cake. I used a regular single layer cake pan, but you can also use a sheet cake pan (for a rectangular shaped cake), or a springform pan. (If you use a springform pan, you definitely want a pan underneath in case it leaks!)
Pour the cake batter into the cake pan you choose, add the sliced apples in a pretty pattern, then top with cream. I will note next time I make this recipe, I will make it in a greased springform pan.
Although the cake didn’t spill over the top of my pan, there were a few moments I was really worried. (And I HATE cleaning my oven!!)
Gluten Free Apple Cake Recipe TIP: Make sure to put a pan under the springform pan. One reader noted that the cake batter can leak out of the springform pan.
The Best Apples to Use in this Apple Cake Recipe:
I love to use a more tart apple for this gluten free apple cake recipe. Here are my favorite apple varieties:
- Granny Smith
These are by far the most flavorful apples for baking and all of my apple cake recipes with fresh apples use one of these apple varieties.
How Many Apples Make a Cup?
If you are using medium sized apples, one apple with the peel removed, de-cored, and chopped should equal 1 cup of apple. If you are using a small apple, the small apple should equal 1/2 cup of chopped apple.
Ingredients You Need To Make This Gluten Free Apple Cake Recipe:
- Gluten free flour blend (make sure your mix includes Xanthan gum, otherwise add 1 teaspoon)
- heavy cream
- baking powder and salt
- vanilla (either vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste)
More Delicious Gluten Free Cakes with Fruit:
- Gluten Free Caramel Apple Cake
- Gluten Free Orange Almond Flour Cake
- Gluten Free Raspberry Vanilla Bundt Cake
- Gluten Free Strawberry Lemon Bakewell
Tools I Used to Make This Fresh Apple Cake Recipe:
- Cake pan: This cake pan is deep enough to make this delicious apple cake the perfect size for guests.
- Apple slicer: An easy cheat. I use this and it cores and slices my apples. To make the apple slices a little thinner in this recipe, I halved the slices again.
How to Make Gluten Free Apple Cake:
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend, (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 1 1/2 cup cups sugar, reserve 1/4 cup to sprinkle on top of the cake before baking
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium apples, peels removed and sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 10 inch cake pan with coconut oil.
- Line the bottom of the cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add sugar and butter and mix 3-5 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Sift together the flours, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the bowl, mixing on low, alternating between milk and flours.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Add the sliced apples on top.
- Pour the cream on top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup sugar on top of the cake.
- Place the springform pan on a baking sheet, or wrap the bottom in tin foil just in case there is a leak in your springform pan! Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
There are affiliate links in my posts. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This doesn't change the cost you pay for an item, it just means a tiny commission comes to Fearless Dining to help offset the costs of running this blog.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 314 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 77mg Sodium: 178mg Carbohydrates: 45g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 29g Protein: 4g
More Yummy Gluten Free Recipes to Try!
Click here to see all of the gluten free cakes on this blog.