This delicious homemade Gluten Free Chicken and Dumplings has fluffy dumplings! The savory sauce is full of flavor, making this chicken and dumplings recipe a family favorite!
If you are looking for a delicious home-cooked meal, this gluten free chicken and dumplings is a great recipe to make next! It is full of juicy chunks of chicken, has a savory sauce, and fluffy little gluten free biscuits.
We make a lot of chicken dinners in our home. If you cook chicken often, you may also love this simple skillet chicken feta pasta recipe.
Why this gluten free chicken and dumplings recipe is great:
You will love this recipe because it is:
- Easy to make and easy to make ahead.
- You can use any vegetables you have on hand. You can also use frozen vegetables if you like. Even your pickiest eater will love this comfort food meal.
- This recipe uses leftover chicken like rotisserie or pre-cooked sliced grilled chicken pieces you can buy. It is a huge time saver!
The dumplings in this recipe are made from my popular gluten free biscuits recipe. I tested 6 different gluten free flour blends in this recipe and most make incredibly fluffy dumplings!
- Cooked chicken - I use rotisserie chicken, but you can use any leftover grilled or baked chicken in this recipe.
- Chicken broth - I used low sodium but either type is fine.
- Gluten free biscuit dough - You can use a gluten free biscuit mix, gluten free bisquick, or use my popular gluten free biscuits recipe to make your dough.
- Vegetables - I used carrots, mushrooms (not pictured), celery, and some orange bell pepper. You can use any mix of veggies you have on hand in your refrigerator!
- Spices - Dried parsley, sage (not pictured), and a bay leaf add great flavor!
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: In a pot or cast-iron Dutch oven, add the oil and cook the onions, carrots, and mushrooms for 5 minutes until the onions are softened.
HINT: Be sure to use an oil that tolerates heat. I like to use avocado or canola oil.
Step 2: Add the cooked chicken and seasonings.
Step 3: Prepare the biscuit dough. Again, you will be using my gluten free biscuit dough recipe.
Step 4: There are two ways to shape the dumplings. You can just take spoonfuls of dough and drop it into the chicken mixture, or flatten the biscuit dough on wax paper and cut it into squares.
Step 5: Pour the broth into the chicken mixture. Cover and bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
HINT: Want to make this gluten free chicken and dumplings extra creamy? Add ¼ cup of heavy cream. I didn't do this but often do when I don't need it to be dairy-free.
Step 6: Drop the dumplings into the chicken mixture. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the dumplings to cook for 15-20 minutes. DO NOT remove the lid. The steam is what helps to cook your dumplings.
This creamy gluten free chicken and dumplings will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. You can also freeze this meal in freezer-safe zip-style bags. It will keep in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
Yes, you can easily use frozen vegetables in this recipe!
The dumplings cook from the hot steam that is trapped while the lid of the pot is on.
You can make this recipe dairy-free by using vegan butter in the biscuit dumpling topping.
Gluten Free Bisquick and other gluten free biscuit mixes make great dumplings! Just follow the box directions to mix them up and drop them in the same as I describe in the recipe.
You can tell the biscuits are done cooking by inserting a toothpick into one. If the toothpick comes back clean, they are ready.
If you are looking for more meal ideas, I have tons of easy gluten free chicken dinner recipes on the blog.
More gluten free dinner ideas:
- Easy Gluten Free Chicken Stew
- Gluten Free Chicken Tetrazzini
- Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie
- Skillet Chicken Drumsticks
Easy Gluten Free Chicken and Dumplings
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken shredded
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 cups biscuit dough see note!
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 ½ cups carrots chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup onion diced
- ½ cup celery chopped
- ½ cup bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup gluten free flour blend * see note
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- In a pot or cast-iron Dutch oven, add the oil and cook the onions, carrots, and mushrooms for 5 minutes until the onions are softened.
- Add the cooked chicken and seasonings.
- Prepare the biscuit dough. Again, you will be using my gluten free biscuit dough recipe.
- There are two ways to shape the dumplings. You can just take spoonfuls of dough and drop it into the chicken mixture, or flatten the biscuit dough on wax paper and cut it into squares.
- Pour the broth into the chicken mixture. Cover and bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- HINT: Want to make this gluten free chicken and dumplings extra creamy? Add ¼ cup of heavy cream. I didn't do this but often do when I don't need it to be dairy-free.
- Drop the dumplings into the chicken mixture. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and allow the dumplings to cook for 15-20 minutes. DO NOT remove the lid. The steam is what helps to cook your dumplings.
- You can use my delicious gluten free biscuit recipe to make the biscuit dough, or use any gluten free biscuit mix or gluten free Bisquick .
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours. You can also use potato starch if you prefer since this is just for thickening.
- This chicken and dumplings will keep for up to 4 days in an air-tight container or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)