If you are looking for the perfect appetizer that is easy to make, these Gluten Free Corn Dog muffins are perfect. They are bite-sized mini corn dogs that are perfect for dipping. Serve them up at your next party!
I love biting into these mini gluten free corn dog muffins. The muffins are light and fluffy and you can use your favorite gluten free hot dogs or mini sausages for the middles.
Whether you are looking for healthier kid-friendly finger foods or easy party fare for the next game day, you can't go wrong with these baked corn dog muffins!
If you are looking for more appetizers, here is a link to all of my gluten free appetizer recipes. If your kids love hot dogs, they will also love this Gluten-Free Pigs in a Blanket recipe.
Why You Need To Make These:
- Kids love them!
- You get all of the corn dog flavors without the grease from frying!
- They are bite-sized and easy to eat.
- This is a great budget recipe to feed a crowd.
I primarily use this cornmeal because it is certified gluten free, so there is no risk of cross-contamination.
- Gluten Free Flour Blend - I tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure. Other blends should also work.
- Cornmeal - I typically use Bob's Red Mill GF Cornmeal pictured above.
- Baking Powder - I prefer aluminum-free.
- Shredded Cheese - This is optional, and you can also use dairy-free cheese.
- Hot dogs - I used Hebrew National Naturals Hot Dogs. Just be sure to read the label on any brand you choose to ensure they are gluten free.
- Eggs - Use size large.
- Green chiles - Optional. These are nice to add some spice.
- Butter - Use salted or unsalted.
Tips For Success:
- Be sure to use thawed, not frozen hot dogs.
- Mix the muffin batter by hand so that it doesn't get overmixed.
- Feel free to use mini sausages in place of hot dogs if you prefer more flavor.
- See below for some tasty dip ideas.
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
These mini corn dog muffins without buttermilk are so easy to make. Preheat the oven to 350º F and be sure the oven rack is in the middle position in the oven.
Step 1: Add the gluten free flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt to a large
Step 2: Use a wire whisk to blend the dry ingredients together. Add the optional shredded cheese. You can use dairy-free cheese, or omit the cheese completely if you are dairy-free.
Step 3: In a smaller bowl, add the wet ingredients. Mix them with a wire whisk and then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Step 4: Mix the wet and dry ingredients, but be very careful not to overmix the batter.
Step 5: Spray a mini muffin pan with oil. Place the raw hot dogs on a dishwasher-safe cutting board and cut each hot dog into thirds.
Step 6: Add some gluten free cornbread muffin batter to each section of the muffin pan. Add a piece of hot dog to the middle of the batter in each section.
Step 7: Bake the mini muffins for 20 minutes. Note the actual baking time will vary depending on the size of the muffin pan, and the depth of each section.
Remove them from the oven and serve them hot with one of the dip ideas below. These are great to serve to kids and they are also great to serve as game day appetizers.
- Ketchup or Mustard
- My homemade Gluten Free Ranch Dressing.
- This simple Spicy Mayo.
Yes, you can use any gluten free cornbread mix. Bob's Red Mill and Krusteaz both make great gluten free cornbread mixes.
Yes, you can easily make this recipe dairy-free. Use plant-based butter and omit the cheese.
Store any leftover gluten free cornbread muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep fresh for up to 4 days.
Yes! These cornbread muffins freeze really well. Just put the cooled cornbread muffins into a zip-style freezer bag. They will keep fresh for up to 3 months.
More Gluten Free Kid-Friendly Recipes:
- Kids will love these Gluten Free Fish Sticks. Make them in the air fryer or bake them in your oven.
- These Gluten Free Pigs in a Blanket are another kid favorite!
- My kids love this creamy Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese recipe.
- These crispy Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets are full of flavors kids love.
Bite-Size Fun: Mini Gluten Free Corn Dog Muffins
- 1 ¾ cups cornmeal See note.
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free flour blend See note.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder aluminum-free
- ½ teaspoon salt you can use more or less
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter See note
- 2 large eggs
- 6 hot dogs See note
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar Optional
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Add the cornmeal, gluten free flour, baking powder, and salt to a large mixing bowl and use a whisk to blend.
- In a smaller bowl, melt the butter and add the eggs and water. Whisk to blend.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix. Try not to overmix the batter.
- Spray oil in a mini muffin tray.
- Place the raw hot dogs on a cutting board and cut each into four pieces.
- Fill each muffin cup ¾ full and place a hot dog piece in the middle.
- Bake for 20 minutes until done. Serve hot. Note baking time can vary depending on the depth and size of your muffin tin.
- Try to use gluten free cornmeal to prevent cross-contamination. I used Arrowmills. Bob's Red Mill also makes gluten free cornmeal.
- I used King Arthur Measure for Measure, but other blends should also work. If your blend doesn't contain xanthan or guar gum, add one teaspoon.
- The cheese is optional but adds great flavor.
- If you use salted butter, reduce the amount of salt in the muffins.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze in a zip-style freezer bag.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)
Leave a Reply