These gluten free cinnamon rolls with a peanut butter glaze are about to become your family’s favorite morning treat.
Roll them up with cinnamon and butter, bake, then drizzle peanut butter glaze all over them when they come out of the oven!
(*This post was updated from an old 12/15 post.)
Today you get this post from my husband’s point of view. Mr. Fearless Dining is quite witty, and he is a die-hard peanut butter fan.
Do you know how books give the “his” and “hers” version of a story? You have to understand, my husband has never wanted much to do with my blog, except eat what I make. Well, this gluten free cinnamon roll recipe inspired him to write a few words for you today.
These Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls with a Peanut Butter Glaze are that good!”
Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls
You see, when you are gluten free, you don’t often get treats like cinnamon rolls. They are a little time consuming to make, and getting the yeast to rise in gluten free dough can be a challenge…but the end result is SSSOOOO worth it. I say that about all of the dessert recipes my wife makes.
Hi Everyone, it is Mrs. Fearless Dining’s husband, David.
It’s Christmas morning, and your kids are up faster than Santa’s sleigh sped around the world last night. They need some kind of breakfast to fuel the present-opening frenzy. There’s the usual daily breakfast stuff (blah).
There’s always fruitcake, but do you really want to ensure a meltdown when your little ones’ crash from their sugar highs? If you’re gluten free, like my family and I are, fruitcakes have a density that requires registration with the International Atomic Monitoring Agency, and an appeal that matches an IAEA inspection, too.
There really is a better answer: peanut butter.”
Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls for Breakfast
This holiday season, Sandi (Ms. Fearless Dining and my wife) made peanut butter cinnamon rolls for our family. She’s made a lot of recipes for you, the readers of this blog, but this one, with the combination of cinnamon rolls and peanut butter more than doubling the appeal, disappeared faster than, well, let’s just say much faster than she wanted it to.
(These photos are actually of the second batch that Sandi had to make because the first was way too tempting for us. These are THE BEST gluten free cinnamon rolls EVER!)
It’s thanks to my love of peanut butter, and Sandi’s love for her peanut butter loving family, we get to enjoy these delicious, more healthy treats.
Please let Sandi know how your family enjoys these Peanut Butter Cinnamon Rolls! (She already knows how much I enjoyed them – it meant a trip to the virtual doghouse, but it was soooo worth it!)
Cinnamon rolls have universal appeal (there’s a whole chain of stores that makes just these!), and, well, peanut butter.
I needn’t say more.
Peanut butter is even more delicious and also more healthful than cinnamon rolls, and it’s just as tempting. Combine peanut butter and cinnamon rolls, and even the those with the steeliest wills will be wiping crumbs off their faces (while your wife is not looking and after she asked you to wait until the photos were done.
I’m only human, and these were sitting around for hours!).
But there is more to say: by using peanut butter in these delicious rolls, the protein content slows down the hyper-burn rate a bit. We’ve lowered the likelihood of sugar-crash-temper-tantrum driven tears falling among the shreds of wrapping paper.
And that, my friends, is a blessing on Christmas morning.
If you celebrate holidays other than Christmas, then make these peanut butter cinnamon rolls on New Year’s Eve to help you recover on New Year’s morning. (But good luck on keeping them around that long!)
Here are a few more of my favorite gluten free holiday treats:
- Gluten Free Eggnog Cupcakes with an Eggnog Frosting
- Gluten Free Hot Chocolate Donuts
- No-Bake Gluten Free Peanut Butter Pie
- Quick and Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge
How to make this gluten free cinnamon roll recipe:
Mix the peanut butter and other ingredients in your mixer. Set the dough aside someplace warm to rise.
Roll the cinnamon roll dough out flat.
Add the brown sugar and cinnamon filling. Cut the dough and bake the rolls for 20 minutes.
How to make the creamy peanut butter glaze:
(*Please note there are affiliate links in this post. Making a purchase with my affiliate link will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to me to help offset the many costs of running this blog. I truly appreciate your support!!)
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- 2 1/4 cup Gluten Free Flour Blend, (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1/4 cup Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 large eggs
- For Filling:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold butter for rolls
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- For Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Skippy Natural Honey Peanut Butter
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- In a dish, add 1/2 cup warm water, yeast, and honey.
- Let sit for 5 minutes until yeast starts to bubble.
- In a mixer, add eggs, peanut butter, melted butter, yeast mixture, and almond milk.
- Mix on low to blend.
- Add flour 1/4 cup at a time and continue mixing on low.
- Once all flour is added, turn up the speed to medium high.
- Blend one to two minutes.
- Put plastic wrap over the mixing bowl and set in a warm spot to allow the dough to rise.
- Rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut off a large piece of wax paper.
- Dust with flour.
- Drop the dough on and sprinkle a little flour on top.
- Place another piece of wax paper on top and roll to 1/2 inch thickness with a rolling pin.
- Place tiny chunks of cold butter along the dough.
- Spread the cinnamon sugar mixture on top.
- Slowly roll the dough into a log.
- With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 2 inch slices.
- Arrange into a greased 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking, add Skippy Natural Honey Peanut Butter and powdered sugar into a small bowl.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons water.
- Mix with a whisk to blend.
- Spread over the cinnamon rolls and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 337 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 41mg Sodium: 123mg Carbohydrates: 51g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 21g Protein: 8g
More Delicious Gluten Free Desserts to Try!