If you can find prickly pears, you can make this delicious prickly pear margarita recipe! Prickly pears have a sweet distinct flavor that works beautifully with tequila.
Cactus pear fruit makes the best cocktails! You will love these Prickly Pear Bourbon Cocktails at your next happy hour!
Are you ready for a fun new margarita recipe? I feel like I hit the jackpot when I found prickly pears at our local produce market!!
What are Prickly Pears?
Prickly pears or the “tuna” are the fruit of a prickly pear cactus. Their fruit can be hot pink, orange, and even green. Each has a subtle flavor difference. I wasn’t sure what color I would get until I cut open the fruit.
Tip: Make sure you buy the fruit without the thorny spines. Prickly pear fruit can be dangerous because their spines are thick and hard to remove.
This prickly pear drink is really easy to make once you uncover the delicious fruit under the thick skin! In some recipes, you want to make a prickly pear cactus syrup.
I tried to keep it simple for my first cactus pear margarita recipe! Stay tuned for more cactus pear recipes…I just made the best hot pink syrup out of my latest find!
How to get prickly pear juice:
Are you ready to juice your prickly pear fruit? I promise it isn’t as hard as you might think!
Cut the cactus pear fruit in half lengthwise. This is when you see what color fruit you have! Scoop out the pulp and add it to a strainer. Place the strainer over a container that will catch the juice.
Use a spoon to press the pulp against the mesh in the strainer. This will force all of the juice through. The strainer will trap the seeds, which you don’t want in your drink!
Now you have prickly pear juice for this cactus pear margarita recipe! The next step is to take a margarita glass and rub lime around the rim. Dip the edges of the rim in coarse sugar.
Here are some delicious appetizers to enjoy!
- Baked Turmeric Chicken Wings
- Southwestern Hot Cheese Dip
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
- Gluten Free Lettuce Wraps
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- 1/2 cup prickly pear fruit juice
- 3 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar , for the rim
- Cut prickly pear fruit in half lengthwise.
- Scoop the fruit into a strainer. Place the strainer over a container. Use a spoon to press the fruit into the mesh. This will force the juice out, without getting seeds.
- In a shaker, add ice, and all of the ingredients.
- Shake to chill. Let sit for 2 minutes while you prep the rim.
- Rub fresh lime over the rims on two glasses. Dip the rim in coarse sugar.
- Pour the cocktail into each glass. Garnish with pineapple or lime.
There are affiliate links in my posts. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 75mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 22g Protein: 1g