If you love hot cocoa, these Gluten Free Hot Chocolate Donuts make a delicious winter treat!
Moist on the inside and crispy on the outside, these hot cocoa donuts are a kid-favorite! Dip them into hot cocoa for a massive chocolate burst of flavor!
We are getting a lot of holiday baking done early this year….I have been testing out fun recipes each week, and my kids tell me which recipes are worth making for the blog!
They are loving these gluten free hot cocoa donuts!
Sometimes recipe development is tough work! It took three tries to get these donuts to turn out with that rich hot chocolate flavor! (I talk about these bloopers below!) Luckily my kids are still eager tasters. They love these Gluten Free Holiday Sugar Cookies and these Gluten Free Chocolate Mint Madeleines recipes. (These cookies are both perfect for dipping in hot cocoa!)
Is it cooling off where you live yet? Our weather is getting colder and colder and my kids love coming home from school to a hot mug of hot chocolate. It is something they really look forward to. It not only warms them up, but it gives them a little energy to start their homework!
Hot cocoa isn’t just for drinking!”
If you have read my blog for a bit, you know I am a huge donut fanatic. (Check out all of the donut recipes on my blog.) I knew it was time to create a gluten free donut version using my kids’ favorite hot cocoa!
For this recipe, you can use any prepared hot chocolate mix…just make sure it is sweetened. An unsweetened hot chocolate mix will make these donuts taste bitter!
These gluten free hot chocolate donuts are perfect for dipping into hot cocoa!
More Fun ideas for Hot Chocolate:
- Use it instead of cocoa powder in your baking.
- Spike it with some Kahlua or Bailey’s Irish Cream! Adults need a treat too!
- Top it with ice cream and hot fudge for a full-on dessert!
- Add a packet to your morning coffee to make a delicious mocha!
Are you ready to see how easy these Gluten Free Hot Cocoa Donuts are to make?
I really wanted to make my donuts with marshmallows, but they melted while cooking. I ended up with holes in my donuts from the marshmallows melting down. I couldn’t get the mini marshmallows to cook inside the donuts in a way that would make donuts that didn’t look like Swiss cheese!
And worse, melted marshmallows do not easy to clean off the donut maker!! Trust me, I learned the hard way that it is best to use these yummy marshmallows as a garnish :-).
Add all of the dry ingredients to a bowl. I used a lot of almond flour in my donut recipe. I like that the protein helps balance out the sugars in these donuts.
Tip: If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t include xanthan gum, make sure you add 1 teaspoon!
Add the wet ingredients and mix to blend it all into a semi thick batter.
Add the donut batter to a BabyCakes Donut Maker. (*If you don’t have a donut maker, you can easily bake these donuts in a donut pan.) I like to use this donut maker because it makes the outsides of the donuts slightly crispy and delicious.
Allow the gluten free donuts to cool. Dip each in melted dark chocolate. Add your favorite sprinkles and the little marshmallows for decoration!
More Gluten Free Donut Recipes To Try:
- Gluten Free Banana Donuts
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Donuts
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Donuts by Gluten-Free Palate. (These will melt in your mouth!)
- Paleo Apple Cinnamon Donuts
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- A BabyCakes Donut Maker. I love how it makes the outsides of the donut crispy like it was fried!
- A donut pan in case you prefer to bake these donuts in the oven.
- My favorite gluten free flour blend.
How to make Gluten Free Hot Chocolate Donuts:
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- dash of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup hot cocoa powder, (Any sweetened brand!)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate
- Preheat the BabyCakes Donut Maker. (If using an oven, preheat to 350 degrees.)
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Add eggs, melted butter, and almond milk to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add a dollop of donut batter to each section in the donut maker. (If baking in a donut pan, add batter to each donut section.)
- Cook in the donut maker for 3-5 minutes until done. (Bake in oven for 20 minutes.)
- Melt dark chocolate in a bowl and microwave for 45 seconds to melt. Dip each donut into the melted chocolate.
- Optional, add sprinkles.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 137 Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 24mg Sodium: 54mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 6g Protein: 2g
More Yummy Donut Recipes To Try!