If you love hot cocoa as I do, wait until you try these Gluten Free Hot Chocolate Donuts! They make a delicious winter treat! These mini donuts are soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, just like the donuts you had before going gluten free!
Even better? These little donuts are ready in about 20 minutes!
We are getting a lot of holiday baking done early this year...I have been testing out fun recipes each week, and my kids tell me which recipes are worth making for the blog!
Sometimes recipe development is tough work! It took three tries to get these donuts to turn out with that rich hot chocolate flavor! Luckily my kids are still eager tasters.
These cookies are both perfect for dipping in hot cocoa! They love these Gluten Free Chocolate Mint Madeleines dipped too! These cookies are both perfect for dipping in hot cocoa!
What makes these donuts great:
These delicious donuts are like a comforting mug of hot cocoa but in solid form. I am a hot cocoa lover and by including hot cocoa powder in the donut batter, these little gluten free hot chocolate donuts have the same flavors!
Dip them into melted chocolate and top with mini marshmallows! If you are a donut fanatic like we are, you will want to check out all of my Gluten Free Donut Recipes!!
What you need to make these:
- Gluten free flour blend - I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF, Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend, and Authentic Foods Multi Blend in this recipe. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Almond flour - I highly suggest using almond flour and not almond meal. Almond meal is more coarse and will make your donuts grainy.
- Hot cocoa powder - there are several brands that are gluten free. I suggest Hershey's or Swiss Miss for this recipe.
- Butter - if you are making these dairy-free, you can use vegan butter.
- Cocoa powder - most brands are gluten free. I like Anthony's, Rodelle, and Ghirardelli brands best.
Step by step recipe directions:
Step 1: Add all of the dry ingredients to a bowl. I used a lot of almond flour in my donut recipe. I like that the protein helps balance out the sugars in these donuts.
Gluten Free Tip: If your gluten free flour blend doesn't include xanthan gum, make sure you add 1 teaspoon!
Step 2: Add the wet ingredients and mix to blend it all into a semi-thick batter.
Step 3: Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix.
Step 4: Add the donut batter to a BabyCakes Donut Maker. (*Note I have an older model of BabyCakes Donut Maker. The newer ones make 4 donuts at a time.)
Donut maker vs donut pan
If you don't have a donut maker, you can easily bake these donuts in a donut pan. I like to use this donut maker because it makes the outsides of the donuts slightly crispy and delicious.
Step 5: Allow the gluten free donuts to cool. Once cool, dip each donut in melted dark chocolate. Add your favorite sprinkles and the little marshmallows for decoration!
Expert tips and recipe FAQ:
You can make these donuts gluten free but it will take a little work. First, use non-dairy milk that doesn't contain nuts like rice or coconut milk. Next, omit the almond flour and add an additional ½ cup gluten free flour blend.
You may need to add a little more liquid, try to make sure the batter consistency is similar to my photo below.
I used these dark chocolate melting wafers to dip my donuts in but you can also melt chocolate chips, or shake things up and use white chocolate!
These donuts will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Which sprinkles are gluten free?
There are many brands of gluten free sprinkles out there, but some, including a very popular brand, use shared equipment. If you are Celiac, or very sensitive to gluten, try one of these gluten free sprinkles brands:
- Rainbow Sprinkles by Unpretentious Baker.
- Funfetti star-shaped sprinkles by Supernatural.
- Classic bright sprinkles by Sweetopia.
- Love ripe bananas? This Gluten Free Banana Donuts recipe is full of yummy banana flavor!
- These special Gluten Free Gingerbread Donuts are perfect for the holidays, or year-round!
- You are going to LOVE this Gluten Free Jelly Donuts recipe (these are fried and filled with jelly!)
- No grain, no refined sugar...no problem with this Paleo Apple Cinnamon Donuts recipe.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Hot Chocolate Donuts
- Preheat the BabyCakes Donut Maker. (If using an oven, preheat to 350º F.)
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Add eggs, melted butter, and almond milk to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add a dollop of donut batter to each section in the donut maker. (If baking in a donut pan, add batter to each donut section.)
- Cook in the donut maker for 3-5 minutes until done. (Bake in oven for 20 minutes.)
- Melt dark chocolate in a bowl and microwave for 45 seconds to melt. Dip each donut into the melted chocolate.
- Optional, add sprinkles.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF, Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend, and Authentic Foods Multi Blend in this recipe. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- Make sure to use a sweetened hot cocoa powder with this recipe.
- I highly suggest using almond flour and not almond meal. Almond meal is more coarse and will make your donuts grainy.
- Other dairy-free kinds of milk will work but I do not recommend canned coconut milk.
- To make these donuts dairy-free, use vegan butter.
- These donuts will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)
(*This post was updated from an older 12/2018 post with more pictures and better step by step instructions.)