Fall is going to be here soon, so it's time to break out my gluten free pumpkin spice scones recipe. You can't eat these beauties without getting a smile on your face because they scream FALL! They are soft, flavorful, and really easy to make.
This is one of the best scone recipes because it's perfectly sweetened and has a thick icing on top. Pumpkin, spices and the texture is impressive. If you love scones as much as we do, be sure to check out all of my delicious gluten free scones recipes on the blog. There are both sweet and savory scones!
Imagine on a crisp fall morning, rubbing the sleep out of your eyes and biting into a perfectly fall-flavored breakfast! That is what you get when you make these gluten free pumpkin spice scones. No one in the Fearless Dining home can resist that spicy goodness they are filled with.
Not only are these pumpkin scones good for breakfast, but they are fantastic if you are having brunch, a baby shower, or just want a snack."
What to serve with scones?
These gluten free scones are perfect just the way they are, and you don't have to serve them with anything. You can always give them a little dollop of whipped cream, drizzle some melted chocolate chips on top, or serve with some protein like sausage or bacon. Don't forget to have a cup of hot coffee or tea too.
Are you ready to try making these gluten free pumpkin spice scones?
- Gluten free flour blend (if your blend doesn't include Xanthan Gum, you need that too.)
- Baking powder
- Vanilla bean
- Almond milk
- Pumpkin spice
Add your dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend. Add the cold butter cut into chunks to the dry ingredients.
Use a pastry blender to cut the cold butter chunks into the gluten free flour mixture.
In a small bowl, add the wet ingredients and whisk to blend. Pour into the dry ingredients.
I like to mix my gluten free scone dough by hand. You can use a spoon too.
Move the scone dough to a piece of wax paper and roll to 1 1/2 to 2 inches thickness. Use a scone cutter to cut out scone shapes. You can also cut the dough circle into pie wedges if you don't have a biscuit cutter.
Place the scones onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake at 350F degrees for 20-22 minutes until done.
What is a scone?
A scone is a baked good that is well known in British baking. Scones usually have a subtly sweet flavor and can be sweet or savory. They come in all sorts of shapes and designs. You will also find them shaped like small pieces of pie in many coffee shops and restaurants.
What is the difference between a scone and a biscuit?
The number one difference between a scone and a biscuit is that scones have eggs in them and in most cases, biscuits don't. Additionally, biscuits don't normally have fruit in them while they do have savor ingredients sometimes.
Why do my scones go flat?
Sometimes scones go flat if you have overmixed them. Make sure just to mix the batter until it's just combined instead of mixing too long. Overmixing causes air bubbles to form than when the scones are baked the bubbles pop and causes a dense, flat scone.
Also, make sure to always use super cold butter. I know it's tempting to melt the butter before mixing, but if you do the results will not be great because you won't get those yummy flaky layers. They will be hard and dense if you do.
What can I substitute for the egg?
If you have an egg allergy or simply don't tolerate them, you can replace the egg in these gluten free pumpkin spice scones. Just keep in mind, if you don't use an egg, that the texture may be slightly different. I tend to use Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer.
More delicious gluten free scones recipes to try:
- Gluten Free Date Scones With Coconut And Pecans
- Easy Dairy Free Gluten Free Strawberry Scones
- Fresh Herb Gluten Free Cheese Scones
- Easy Gluten Free Maple Bacon Scones
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Scones
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup non-dairy or regular milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 stick cold butter
- For Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 2-3 tablespoons water add gradually
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Add cold butter chunks and use a pastry blender to cut in the cold butter. When you are done the flour will look like it has little cold butter pebbles.
- In a small bowl, add the wet ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix the dough.
- Place the scone dough on a piece of wax paper and roll to 1-2 inch thickness (depending on how thick you like your scones).
- Use a biscuit cutter to cut out scones.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 22 minutes until done.
- Allow to cool and mix the icing.
- Drizzle over the scones and allow the icing to harden.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)