Date scones with coconut and pecans are light and flaky, with a little nutty crunch. Perfect with a cup of coffee. You’ll want to make a double batch of this gluten free scones recipe!
These step by step directions should help you become a scone expert in no time. Learning how to eat gluten free has never been easier!
I am finally making a sweet scone recipe :-). You will love how easy this date scones recipe comes together!
I found some sweet looking dates in our grocery store and I thought these would work well with coconut and pecans.
How to Make Date Scones Gluten Free
To make the date scones a gluten free scones recipe, I used the Bob’s Red Mill’s new 1 to 1 gluten free flour blend that I picked up at my local Costco. This flour blend is a lot lighter, with more starch, so the date scones are not only flaky, but lighter in texture as well.
The dates and coconut give these scones a light sweetness to them. Even my picky child loves them!
These scones are so worth making! (I highly suggest you make a double batch, the whole family is going to devour them.)
If you do make that double batch, feel free to freeze some, because these date scones are completely freezable.
Step by Step Recipe Instructions
To make these flaky date scones:
- Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Your dough will look grainy like this before you add the wet ingredients.
- Spread the date scones dough out on parchment paper and make cuts in the dough. Once it is baked you just need to cut it again along those same lines.
This gluten free scones recipe makes date scones that are super flaky and packed with coconut and pecans.
Click here to see all of the scone recipes on this blog.
(* Please note there are affiliate links in this recipe. Making a purchase from Amazon on my affiliate link will not change the price you pay for the item. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the costs of running this blog. I am very grateful for any support you can give.)
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend, (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 1/2 cup sugar, use 1/4 if you use sweetened coconut.
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, cold
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup roasted pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl add all dry ingredients.
- Whisk to blend.
- Add butter in chunks to the flour.
- Using a pastry blender, cut butter into the dough until the flour mixture is grainy.
- Add wet ingredients and mix ins and stir to blend.
- Put a piece of parchment paper onto a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough and shape it to a round flattened circle about 2 inched tall.
- Use a sharp knife to cut slices into the dough (as shown in above photograph.)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until done.
- When scones are cooled down, use a knife along cut marks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 392 Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 54mg Sodium: 186mg Carbohydrates: 64g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 32g Protein: 7g
More Yummy Scone Recipes to Try!
Round out your breakfast with this recipe idea:
If you love the date scones, try these Gluten Free Pear and Gorgonzola Scones!