This Matcha green tea chia pudding with coconut makes a wonderful breakfast or snack. Just dump the ingredients into a container and put the container in your refrigerator overnight. Wake up to a creamy matcha chia pudding breakfast!
Breakfast doesn't get any easier than this! If you love matcha, check out all of my gluten free breakfast recipes!
I just wanted to say hello and invite you to look around my blog, check out some recipes, and let me know what you think :-). This is one of the first recipes I created for my blog...way back when and it has been wildly popular!
Have you tried chia pudding yet? Chia pudding is a newer concept, but it has been rising in popularity for the past couple of years!"
What is special about this pudding?
- This matcha chia pudding is both paleo and vegan, and perfect for anyone with food allergies.
- Chia pudding is high in protein, making it a great breakfast option.
- The matcha green tea in this simple chia pudding recipe gives you a nice little caffeine boost!
- You literally can toss the ingredients into a container before you go to bed and wake to a ready-made breakfast!
If you haven't tried matcha pudding, you are missing a wonderful healthy treat. Chia pudding makes a delicious healthy breakfast or a protein-packed snack!
Is chia pudding slimy?
I was a little scared of chia pudding at first. It was almost comical...I am sure you can imagine my original thoughts along the lines of eeewww and slimy. This chia pudding recipe will change your mind about those tiny little chia seeds.
Mr. Fearless Dining loves this Vanilla Chia Pudding with Dates and Pecans.
Is matcha green tea gluten free?
I have been experimenting more and more with matcha green tea powder in my cooking and baking recipes.
Green tea is full of antioxidants, and it even has a small caffeine boost :-).
Many matcha blends are not gluten free. It is important to read the ingredients carefully when buying matcha green tea powder.
How to sweeten matcha:
If you prefer to make your own sweetened matcha for this recipe, it is very easy to make. Just take unsweetened matcha powder and add an extra teaspoon of sugar or a packet of stevia to your baking. (It totally will depend on how sweet you like things...I don't like it super sweet so I use a LOT less than a packet of stevia.) You will love it in this matcha chia pudding!
You can also use coconut sugar to sweeten your matcha or honey, but these both will change the vibrant green coloring. (3 teaspoons matcha to 1 teaspoon sugar is my favorite ratio. You can mix up a bigger batch and keep it sealed in a container to use as needed.)
What else can I do with chia seeds?
If you haven't tried chia seeds, there is nothing like the first time. Chia seeds are full of protein, healthy omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants, and minerals.
- Chia makes an excellent egg replacement in recipes. Just mix 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water. Let it sit for 10 minutes and you have a delicious chia egg!
- I love to add chia seeds to my baking. This delicious Gluten Free Oatmeal Bars recipe is a great way to introduce chia seeds to your diet.
- Add chia seeds to overnight oats for a bigger protein punch! This apple crisp overnight oats recipe is delicious with chia seeds!
Click here to see all of the pudding recipes on the Fearless Dining blog.
What does this pudding taste like?
Matcha pudding tastes like a cold thick creamier version of a matcha latte. You control the sweetness in this recipe so you can even make this matcha pudding more dessert-like!
Here is a fun recipe for Green Tea Coconut Cookie Bars. Mr. Fearless Dining loves these gluten free cookie bars!
- Glass Container with Sealed Lids: I use these containers all of the time. They are perfect to make chia pudding and overnight oats because they seal up airtight.
- Chia seeds: I prefer organic, but I am that organic freak type of person.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Matcha Green Tea Chia Pudding
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder
- 1 1/3 cups coconut milk you can also use almond or soy milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon sugar or less if you don't like it sweet!
- In a large glass container, add all ingredients.
- Put on lid, shake well, and store in refrigerator overnight.
- Stir after the first hour, or before you go to bed.
- Stir again before serving.
- This recipe is also delicious when you garnish it with sliced almonds and more coconut.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)