This Matcha green tea chia pudding with coconut makes a wonderful breakfast or snack. Just dump the ingredients into a container and put the container in your refrigerator overnight. Wake up to a creamy matcha chia pudding breakfast!
Breakfast doesn’t get any easier than this!
Welcome to one of the most popular recipes on my site right now! I just wanted to say hello and invite you to look around my blog, check out some recipes, and let me know what you think :-). (*This recipe was updated from an older May 2015 post.)
Have you tried chia pudding yet? Chia pudding is a newer concept, but it has been rising in popularity for the past couple of years!”
What is special about this matcha green tea chia pudding?
- This matcha chia pudding is both paleo and vegan, and perfect for anyone with food allergies.
- Chia pudding is high in protein, making it a great breakfast option.
- The matcha green tea in this simple chia pudding recipe gives you a nice little caffeine boost!
If you haven’t tried chia pudding, you are missing a wonderful healthy treat. Chia pudding makes a delicious healthy breakfast or a protein-packed snack!
Is Chia Pudding slimy?
I was a little scared of chia pudding at first. It was almost comical…I am sure you can imagine my original thoughts along the lines of eeewww and slimy. This chia pudding recipe will change your mind about those tiny little chia seeds.
You can read about my hesitations and how I became a convert after trying a coconut chia pudding in my post, Cherry Coconut Chia Pudding.
Is Matcha Green Tea Gluten Free?
I have been experimenting more and more with matcha green tea powder in my cooking and baking recipes.
Green tea is full of antioxidants, and it even has a small caffeine boost :-).
Many matcha blends are not gluten free. It is important to read the ingredients carefully when buying matcha green tea powder. (NOTE: DO NOT BUY TRADER JOE’s new matcha green tea powder in the canister!! It is full of gluten.)
Here is a short video to show you how easy this vegan matcha green tea chia pudding is to make:
If you prefer to make your own sweetened matcha, it is very easy to make. Just take unsweetened matcha powder and add an extra teaspoon of sugar or a packet of stevia to your baking. You will love it in this matcha chia pudding!
You can also use coconut sugar, but it will change the vibrant green coloring. (3 teaspoons matcha to 1 teaspoon sugar is my favorite ratio. You can mix up a bigger batch and keep it sealed in a container to use as needed.)
What Can I Do With Chia Seeds?
If you haven’t tried chia seeds, there is nothing like a first time. Chia seeds are full of protein, healthy omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants, and minerals.
- Chia makes an excellent egg replacement in recipes. Just mix 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water. Let it sit for 10 minutes and you have a delicious chia egg!
- I love to add chia seeds to my baking. This delicious Gluten Free Oatmeal Bars recipe is a great way to introduce chia seeds to your diet.
Click here to see all of the pudding recipes on this blog.
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Tools To Make This Recipe:
- Glass Container with Sealed Lids: I use these containers all of the time. They are perfect to make chia pudding and overnight oats because they seal up air tight.
- Chia seeds: I prefer organic, but I am that organic freak type of person.
How to make matcha green tea chia pudding:
Easy gluten free matcha green tea coconut chia pudding.
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder
- 1 1/3 cups coconut milk you can also use almond or soy milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon sugar
In a large glass container, add all ingredients.
Put on lid, shake well, and store in refrigerator overnight.
Stir after the first hour, or before you go to bed.
Stir again before serving.
This recipe is also delicious when you garnish it with sliced almonds and more coconut.
Here is a fun recipe for Green Tea Coconut Cookie Bars
Looking for more matcha recipes? Give this gluten free matcha banana bread a try.
More Breakfast Ideas to Tempt Your Tummy!