If you LOVE French fries as much as I do, you will love these crispy baked French fries. Dip them in this curry dipping sauce for a fun side dish or appetizer! These fries are baked, not fried so they are much healthier!
Grab a fry, or ten and enjoy this crispy gluten free appetizer recipe anytime!
Okay, I have a confession to make. I am a French fry addict. This is hard because it can be so hard to find safe French Fries. How many times have you gone to a restaurant, only to find out their fryer is shared. A shared fryer means gluten foods are fried in the same fryer with gluten free food. That is super bad if you are sensitive to gluten like me.
What is a poor French fry loving person to do? Make your own oven fries! It is so easy to get crispy, delicious perfect French fries baked in your oven.
French fries are not just for a side dish anymore. French fried potatoes make incredible appetizers. Just serve some up for your next party. I bet the whole bowl of French fries gets eaten first!
How to make crispy French fries
Let’s be honest, if a French fry isn’t crispy, it is gross. When I make this French fry recipe, I take it seriously. Oven French fries can get crispy. The secret is to soak your cut potatoes in cold water for 20 minutes. This helps the potatoes retain their color, but it also helps remove some of the potato starch as well.
Russet potatoes are the best for fries
The best potato for making French fries are russet potatoes. These potatoes tend to be drier, making them absorb less oil and come out crispier. Other potatoes will work, but try to stick with the waxier dry potato varieties.
There are three extra things that make this French fry recipe amazing.
- One of the secrets for this recipe is to squeeze fresh lime juice on the fries. The lime flavor blends in and really works with the curry sauce.
- Fresh cilantro. There is something about curry and cilantro that just work together. Try it and see for yourself :-).
- The simple curry dipping sauce. No need to smother your fries in ketchup!! This curry dipping sauce is even better!
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things you need to make this recipe:
- A cookie sheet that can not only hold a lot of cut fries so that they don’t touch each other but also one that will fit in your oven!
- Parchment paper to line your cookie sheet.
How to make Crispy Baked French Fries:
After soaking the potatoes, pat them dry with a paper town. Put back in the bowl and toss with olive oil.
Place a piece of parchment paper down on a cookie sheet. Next, lay out the fries so that they do not touch one another.
To make the curry dipping sauce:
Add the mayo, curry powder, salt and lime juice to a small bowl.
Here is the curry dipping sauce all mixed up. It is not only a great dipping sauce, but you can use it on burgers and sandwiches too!
More Delicious Gluten Free Potato Recipes to Try:
- Mashed Potato Pie with Bacon Roses
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Nachos
- Spiralized Sweet Potato Fries
- 3-4 large russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup mayonaise
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- additional lime for garnish
- optional fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash the russet potatoes and cut into French fries.
- Put the cut raw fries into a large bowl of ice water. Soak for 20 minutes.
- Carefully pour out water and pat fries down with a paper towel to dry. (Dry the bowl too.)
- Add fries back to the bowl. Add oil and mix well.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Line up the fries so that none are touching each other. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the fries brown.
- While the fries are baking, add all dip ingredients to the bowl and mix.
- When the fries come out of the oven, drizzle with lime juice and chopped cilantro (optional).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 301 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 4mg Sodium: 184mg Carbohydrates: 44g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 2g Protein: 6g
More Yummy Appetizers to Try!