If you have a couple of over-ripe bananas, this flavorful gluten free matcha green tea banana bread is a delicious way to start your morning.
Good morning everyone…this morning I decided to add a little matcha kick to my banana bread. I don’t know about you, but any extra caffeine I can get in the morning is a good thing! This easy matcha banana bread recipe will satisfy your sweet tooth at breakfast time :-).
Matcha Green Tea Powder
I have been adding matcha green tea powder to various treats I bake over the past year, and I can’t believe it has taken me so long to add it to banana bread. Banana bread by itself is pretty incredible, but adding matcha powder adds a level of flavor that you will need to try.
If you have wondered how to use matcha in your baking and cooking, it is important to know that matcha comes in many grades of quality. You can find ceremonial varieties of matcha, and even culinary grade matcha. Ceremonial green tea means it is a high quality and is appropriate for the tea ceremony. Culinary grade matcha is a little less defined as it is a newer term. I have found it is ground very fine and I highly recommend using a culinary grade matcha powder because it ensures your baking is not grainy!
I was lucky enough to get a few big bags of Starbucks matcha green tea powder. You can also find matcha green tea powder via Amazon.
(*Note, not all matcha green tea powders are gluten free. Check ingredients!! Trader Joe’s matcha powder is NOT gluten free! The Starbucks matcha green tea powder I use has a little sugar. If you are using pure matcha without a sweetener added, add 2 tablespoons of sugar to your recipe.)
Give this gluten free matcha green tea banana bread recipe a try and let me know what you think.
How to Ripen Bananas
If your bananas are not quite ripe enough you can try these handy tricks:
- Place your unripened bananas on a cookie sheet and bake on 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- If you have a little time, place them in a paper bag for 24 hours.
Over-ripe bananas give this gluten free banana bread its sweetness. It’s the moist banana bread that wakes you up :-). Grab some over-ripe bananas and get ready to make this delicious banana bread recipe. If you double the recipe, you can freeze one of the gluten free banana bread loaves for another day.
I may even sneak Mr. Fearless Dining an extra slice to help him wake up too.
One of my readers, Elizabeth A, made this adorable Seussical poem to go with this bread:
I do not like green banana 🍌bread,
I do not like it,
That’s what I said.
I do like it as my toast,
I do not like it, so do not boast!
I will not like it,
Without the wheat
Green banana bread 🍞
I just won’t eat!
Ok- if you will let me be,
I’ll try your bread
And you will see…
I like it, I like green banana bread!
I love it, yes, that’s what I said!
And I will eat it on the street,
and I will eat it as a treat!
Thank you for the recipe…
It’s looked so strange,
But now I see,
I must try new things I say!
I must new things each day!
For every day, many foods are new,
And revealed yummy, so …
All joking aside, the green tea and banana flavors really combine to create something special here. Add optional walnuts or pecans for an extra bit of protein.
Here is a quick video to show you how to make this banana bread.
If you really love matcha, here are a few more delicious snacks and desserts I have made with matcha green tea:
Gluten Free Matcha Green Tea Coconut Cookie Bars (One of Mr. Fearless Dining’s very favorites.)
And an oldie but goodie, Matcha Green Tea Mochi.
Tools You Need to Make This Recipe:
- Loaf pan. I like this one because it is non-stick and works.
- Mixing bowls. These are the best and you will want that rubber bottom when you are mashing up those bananas.
- Whisks. I use these to blend my flours and wet ingredients (separately.) It sounds silly, but it is the little things that make it easier that I love.
How To Make Matcha Green Tea Banana Bread
Delicious twist on traditional banana bread. You will love this matcha green tea banana bread.
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons matcha powder (*if your matcha isn't sweetened add 3 TBSP of sugar to the recipe.)
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup sugar (you can use brown sugar but it will make the color of the bread turn out more muddy colored.)
- dash salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray coconut oil into a bread loaf pan.
- In a mixer, add all wet ingredients.
- (I just dropped the bananas in whole because they were so soft and ripe.)
- Turn on mixer to slow.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients a little at a time.
- When the dry ingredients are mixed, increase the speed to medium for 1 minute.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake 25-30 minutes until done.
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)