These delicata squash fritters make a tasty appetizer that is packed full of flavor.
Crispy and delicious, with lots of melty cheddar cheese, this gluten-free appetizer recipe will please a crowd.
The holiday entertaining season will be here before you know it and I am starting to pull together my favorite appetizer recipes.
I like to plan everything out because it makes it so much easier when I know what I am bringing. These crispy fritters are so good, you won’t mind that they are mostly squash!
You are going to love this delicata squash recipe!!
Time for a confession. I am an appetizer fiend.
You know the type. Appetizer fiends are the ones who could snack on appetizers all night, leaving no room for the actual dinner. (If you are an appetizer fiend like me, try these Stuffed Pepper Jack Mini Peppers or these BBQ Chicken Nachos.)
These gluten-free fritters are a delicious appetizer that people tend to eat quickly.
Have you tried fritters? They are crispy on the outside and they melt in your mouth. They are so easy to make gluten-free. You can make fritters with many vegetables, but I love to use winter squash. Winter squash are sweet and full of flavor.
Have you tried this sweet mild winter squash? Delicata squash is a long yellow squash with green stripes.
I love to use squash in recipes because it is so easy to conceal. My kids don’t really know there is something healthy hidden in these fritters! If you don’t believe me, try these Gluten Free Delicata Squash Brownies. (They are paleo too!)
How to grate or roast delicata squash:
For this recipe, I used raw grated delicata squash. It is so easy to grate delicata squash. (You can also cook the squash, though it won’t be as crispy throughout.) I am going to share my long way and a quick and easy way to cook squash.
- To grate, cut the squash in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds. Use a peeler to remove the outer thin skin of the squash. Cut long strips of the squash and run over a grater.
- If you prefer to use cooked squash, I like to roast mine in the oven with a little good quality olive oil. Depending if I am using it for something savory or sweet, I may add a little salt.
- If you are in a hurry, don’t worry! There is a quick and easy way to cook this squash. Cut the squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place the delicata squash face down on a microwave-safe plate. Add a little water to the plate and microwave for 5-7 minutes until soft.
You can’t blame me for wanting to devour all of these little fritters. Their cheesy crispiness is so hard to resist. One crunchy bite and you will understand. These may make you an appetizer fiend as well!
Maybe I shouldn’t say it. If you are a sneaky parent like me, you will love that these cheesy fritters are a fabulous way to hide veggies in your appetizer!
My kids devoured these little fritters and never knew they were eating squash :-).
How to make fritters:
Add all of the ingredients into the bowl and mix well.
Heat avocado oil, or another high heat oil to a pan and drop the dough into the hot oil. (I don’t recommend olive oil for this because it can not take the high heat you will need to get the outsides of these cheese fritters nice and crispy.)
To test if the pan is hot enough to add the fritter batter, add a drop of water into the pan. If it sizzles immediately, it is ready for you to add the fritter mixture.
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Tools You Need To Make This Recipe:
- Cast iron pan. This is my favorite thing to fry food in.
- Vegetable grater. I love this grater because it has an easy to hold the handle at the top, which makes it so much easier to use!
Crispy Delicata Squash Cheddar Fritter appetizer.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded delicata squash 1 large squash
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish with sour cream and scallion.
- 1/4 teaspoon * optional cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or other high heat oil
Peel the rind off a delicata squash.
Cut the squash in half and remove the seed.
Use a grater to grate the squash into a bowl.
Add all other ingredients.
Set up a large platter with paper towels on the bottom.
Heat oil over high heat in a pan.
When the oil is hot (drop a drip of water in, if it sizzles, it is hot enough)
Drop the batter into the hot oil.
Cook 2-3 minutes then flip so the other side cooks.
Remove the fritters from the oil and set onto the paper towels.
Top with sour cream and scallions.
More Yummy Appetizers to Try!
Check out these Gluten Free Cauliflower Cheddar Pancakes!
(*This post was updated from a 12/21/15 post.)