These delicata squash fritters make a tasty appetizer that is packed full of flavor. Crispy and delicious, with lots of melty cheddar cheese, this gluten free fritters recipe will please a crowd.
My gluten free fritters recipe can be made with any winter squash. If you love appetizers, don't forget to check out all of my best gluten free appetizer recipes.
Have you tried fritters? They are crispy on the outside and they melt in your mouth. They are so easy to make gluten free. You can make fritters with many vegetables, but I love to use winter squash. Winter squash is sweet and full of flavor.
The holiday entertaining season will be here before you know it and I am starting to pull together my favorite appetizer recipes.
I like to plan everything out because it makes it so much easier when I know what I am bringing. This recipe for squash fritters is so good, you won't mind that they are mostly squash!
What is Delicata Squash?
Have you tried this sweet mild winter squash? Delicata squash is a long yellow squash with green stripes. You can buy delicata squash at most grocery stores, and even at your local farmer's market.
I love to use squash in recipes because it is so easy to conceal in recipes. My kids don't really know there is something healthy hidden in these fritters! If you don't believe me, try these Gluten Free Delicata Squash Brownies.
How to roast delicata squash:
For this recipe, I used raw grated delicata squash. It is very easy to grate delicata squash. (You can also cook the squash, though it won't be as crispy throughout.)
I am going to share both my long way and a quick and easy way to cook squash. There is nothing better than delicata squash roasted so the flavors caramelize, but if you are in a hurry, I have those directions too.
- To grate, cut the squash in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds. Use a peeler to remove the outer thin skin of the squash. Cut long strips of the squash and run over a grater.
- If you prefer to use cooked squash, you can roast it in the oven with a little good quality olive oil. Depending on if I am using it for something savory or sweet, I may add a little salt.
- If you are in a hurry, don't worry! There is a quick and easy way to cook this squash. Cut the squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place the delicata squash face down on a microwave-safe plate. Add a little water to the plate and microwave for 5-7 minutes until soft.
You can't blame me for wanting to devour all of these little gluten free fritters. Their cheesy crispiness is so hard to resist. One crunchy bite and you will understand. These may make you an appetizer fiend as well!
Recipe step by step directions:
It is so easy to cook delicata squash! Are you ready to get started?
Step 1: Use a grater or food processor to grate the winter squash. Put it into a large bowl.
Step 2: Add all of the fritter ingredients into the bowl with the winter squash and mix well.
Step 3: Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet. Drop spoonfuls of the squash mixture in and use a metal spatula to press them flat. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. You will want the squash to be crispy like above before flipping them over.
Step 4: As the fritters are done cooking, move them to a paper towel lined plate so it can absorb extra oil.
Serve hot with sour cream and chives as a garnish. If you like to spice things up, add a few drops of sriracha!
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
When frying foods, it is important to use an oil that can tolerate high heat. I use mostly avocado oil for frying, but depending on the flavor of the dish, coconut oil can also work well.
Heat avocado oil, or another high heat oil to a pan and drop the dough into the hot oil. (I don't recommend olive oil for this because it can not take the high heat you will need to get the outsides of these cheese fritters nice and crispy.)
To test if the pan is hot enough to add the fritter batter, add a drop of water into the pan. If the water sizzles immediately, it is ready for you to add the fritter mixture.
You can use a dairy-free cheddar cheese to make these fritters. I have used vegan parmesan and I do not think the flavor is close enough to mimic the flavors so you would need to omit it and adjust the liquid levels.
These fritters will keep up to 3 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
To reheat these fritters, you will need to bake them at 350º F for 10-15 minutes.
What kind of squash is best to make fritters?
You can make fritters out of any squash! I used delicata squash in this recipe but you can also use:
- Butternut squash - butternut squash fritters are so full of sweet flavor!
- Acorn squash
- Zucchini (if you use zucchini to make fritters, you must use paper towels to dry the shredded zucchini otherwise they will be soggy!)
- Riced cauliflower also makes delicious fritter-like pancakes!
More winter squash recipes:
Delicata Squash Cheddar Fritters
- 1 ½ cups shredded delicata squash * see note
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup gluten free flour blend * see note
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- ½ cup avocado oil or other high heat oil
- Peel the rind off a delicata squash.
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seed.
- Use a grater to grate the squash into a bowl.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Set up a large platter with paper towels on the bottom.
- Heat oil over high heat in a pan.
- When the oil is hot (drop a drip of water in, if it sizzles, it is hot enough)
- Drop the batter into the hot oil.
- Cook 2-3 minutes then flip so the other side cooks.
- Remove the fritters from the oil and set onto the paper towels.
- Top with sour cream and scallions.
- You can use any winter squash in this recipe! I recommend also trying butternut and acorn squash.
- To make this dairy-free you can use vegan cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese. So far VioLife is one of my favorites.
- You can use any gluten free flour blend for this recipe.
- These fritters will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
- To reheat, bake the fritters in the oven at 350º F for 10-15 minutes. This will help the fritters stay crunchy when reheating them.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)
(*This post was updated from a 12/21/15 post.)