Gluten free cauliflower pancakes make a wonderful appetizer, side dish, or vegetarian meal. Crispy on the outsides and cheesy tender on the inside, you will love this easy riced cauliflower recipe.
Have you seen all of those fun riced cauliflower recipes on Pinterest lately?
I have always wanted to try one, but the thought of ricing a cauliflower was a bit overwhelming. Do visions of cauliflower flying around my kitchen and creating a huge mess flash before your eyes?
Not to mention, my kids are not big fans of cauliflower unless it is served raw with extra ranch dressing. These gluten free cauliflower pancakes are going to change all of that! Kids love them.
Riced Cauliflower Pancakes
Luckily, I found this riced cauliflower at Trader Joe’s this week. (I love when Trader Joe’s makes something so incredibly easy to want.) It was the shortcut I was looking for. They did all of the work and this bag of riced cauliflower costs the same as a big head of cauliflower. Win-win! (*If you can’t find pre-packaged cauliflower rice, check out this simple step by step method to create your own riced cauliflower.)
And you can even use riced cauliflower instead of rice in risotto, check out this recipe for Shiitake Risotto!
Toss the cauliflower rice into a large bowl and added the cheddar, leeks, and other ingredients.
I formed pancake shaped cauliflower patties with my hands and carefully dropped them into the hot oil. The riced cauliflower pancakes get so crispy and delicious.
Try cayenne for a spicy kick!
Click here to see all of my gluten free appetizer recipes.
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Tools To Make This Riced Cauliflower Pancakes Recipe:
- Lodge Cast Iron Skillet: This is by far my favorite pan and I do almost all of my frying in this.
- Food Chopper: I bought my cauliflower already riced, but if you can’t find it pre-chopped, this inexpensive food chopper will do the trick for you.
- Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Blend: My favorite gluten free flour, it works beautifully in this recipe without making my pancakes gummy.
How to Make Gluten Free Cauliflower Pancakes:
- 1 bag riced cauliflower, or a head of cauliflower riced
- 3/4 cup Vermont cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup almond milk, (or regular milk if you have it.)
- **Optional 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- garnish with sour cream and scallion.
- Start heating oil in a pan on medium high heat.
- Add riced cauliflower, egg, cheese, salt, flour, leek and milk to a bowl and mix well.
- Test oil temperature by dropping a drip of water into the pan. If it sizzles, it is ready.
- Form patties.
- Drop patties into the hot oil.
- Cook until golden on each side, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat and put each patty onto a plate covered in paper towels (to absorb extra oil)
- Serve with sour cream and scallions
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 121 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 9mg Sodium: 140mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 5g Protein: 7g
If you love vegetable pancakes, give these Delicata Squash Cheddar Fritters.
Looking for a meal to enjoy after these appetizers?
How about this amazing gluten free fried chicken recipe from San Francisco’s Proposition Chicken?
These flourless chocolate peanut butter brownies would make a fabulous dessert!
More Tasty Appetizers