Juicy chunks of apple, a thick crumb topping, and gooey caramel. These Gluten Free Apple Crumbles Bars are going to be hard to resist!! Top with vanilla ice cream and hot caramel, this gluten free dessert is so easy to make!!
If you love apples as much as we do, don't forget to check out all of my mouthwatering gluten free apple recipes!
Click for Table of Contents:
My love for apples in my gluten free desserts has no end...how can I not create more delicious apple recipes? Apples are sweet, tart, and so full of flavor! Just check out this gluten free creamy apple cake recipe. It tastes like it came from a bakery!
I have been trying to stock up more on my Costco runs lately. Costco is taking great precautions and I feel safe shopping there. This week I bought two giant containers of apples.
My plan is to go on a mini apple baking spree :-). Besides these gluten free apple crumb bars, I also want to bake another gluten free apple galette.
Nobody in the house will ever complain if I am making dessert :-)."
My mantra for this simple apple crumb bars recipe is more juicy apple chunks = more apple flavor. This recipe uses 5 apples and bakes up beautifully.
🍎 What apples are best for baking?
There are so many apples that will make your desserts incredible! My favorites include Fuji, Granny Smith, Jonagold, and Macintosh.
There are over 2500 varieties of apples, including heirloom apples, so have fun experimenting to find your favorite baking apple!
- Gluten free flour blend
- Cinnamon and nutmeg
- Brown sugar
Pour your diced apples into a bowl and add the brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix well to coat all of the apples.
I have tested two gluten free flour blends in this recipe. I liked King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. This doesn't mean other blends won't work, I just haven't tested any others. Try to avoid flour blends that are high in starch.
In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients. Whisk to blend them. Add the cold butter and use a pastry blender to cut in the cold butter so that you have a crumby mixture.
If you don't have a pastry blender, you can use two knives carefully to cut the butter in.
Add in the egg and water and mix. Your crust dough will look like this photo above. You will know you added enough moisture if you use your hands and squeeze the dough. It should hold its shape.
Dump 2/3 of the crust mixture into a parchment paper-lined 8x8 baking tin. Use a spoon or your hand to press the crust down firmly so that it is flat.
Pour the diced apple mixture over the crust. Spread the apples out evenly over the crust.
Add the remaining 1/3 of the crumble mixture and add it on top of the apple layer. You are now ready to bake!
Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.
📋 Common Questions:
When the top is slightly golden and the apples are softer, your apple crumble bars are finished baking.
These gluten free apple crumble bars will keep up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
You can easily freeze these bars. To thaw them out, you can defrost them on the counter, or in the oven on low 300 degrees F.
You can easily make these crumb bars dairy-free by using a vegan butter.
You can easily make this recipe up to 2 days ahead then bake before you are ready to serve it.
Feel free to change things up! You can add in chopped nuts, raisins, another fruit like blueberries, and even add certified gluten free oats to the crumb topping!
More gluten free apple recipes for you to try:
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Apple Crumble Bars
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- dash salt
- 1 egg
- 5 medium sized apples
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons water
- Peel apples and dice into small pieces. Place the diced apples in a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg over the apples.
- In a large bowl, combine the gluten free flour, baking powder, sugar, and dash salt. Whisk to blend.
- Cut the cold butter into chunks and add to the dry ingredients.
- Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour. There is a photo in the post to show you what this crust mixture will look like.
- In a small bowl, scramble the egg with the water. Add to the crust mixture.
- Take a greased 8x8 baking pan and pour 2/3 of the crust mixture into the pan. Use your fingers or a large spoon to press the mixture flat to cover the bottom.
- Pour the apple mixture over the bottom crust.
- Add the remaining crust mixture to the top and spread out lightly to keep the crumbled shape.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes until done.
- Top with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)