If you love to make cookies, these tasty gluten free Czech Black and White Cookies are a lot of fun. Their fun checkerboard appearance is easy to make!
These cookies are perfect for the holidays, and gluten free cookie exchanges 🙂
If you have a hard time deciding if you want chocolate or vanilla cookies…these fun checkerboard cookies will help you get both! These gluten free cookies are the best of both worlds!
I was excited to make these cookies since my husband’s family is from the Czech Republic. He grew up eating all sorts of fun cookies! Making a gluten free version of his childhood favorites has been a goal of mine.
These cookies have a pretty tough name to pronounce linecke testo dvoubarevne (which is pronounced lih-NETS-keh TAYS-toh dvaw-oo-bah-RREV-nay). And if you make them in this cute checkerboard, add the word sachovnice to the end of the name! It is a total mouthful!
This recipe starts with one dough, then you separate it into two sections and then add the chocolate ingredients into one section of the cookie dough to make chocolate, which is so much easier.
- Gluten free flour blend. I used King Arthur’s gluten free blend, but this recipe also works very well with Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Blend and Authentic Foods Multiblend.
- Cocoa powder
If you love to make cookies, you will love these gluten free International cookie recipes:
- Gluten Free Vanille Kipferl Cookies (Austrian)
- Gluten Free Pfeffernusse Cookies (German)
- Gluten Free Russian Tea Cookies (Russia)
These gluten free checkerboard cookies are so easy to make!
The first step to making these gluten free black and white cookies is to add the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend. Add the wet ingredients to a separate bowl and mix well.
Add the wet ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well until you have a sturdy dough ball.
Split the cookie dough ball in half. Put the second half in a separate bowl.
Add cocoa powder and sugar to the second cookie dough ball. Mix well.
Refrigerate the chocolate and vanilla cookie dough balls for one hour.
Break the balls of cookie dough up and roll into thin rolls. Press the rolls of cookie dough together, alternating the vanilla and chocolate rolls.
Add as many rows as you want to make a rectangle shape. Press the layers together so the dough binds together.
Use a sharp knife to cut the roll into 1/2 inch cookies.
You can do so much with this dough combination. Try rolling out both the white and chocolate layers. Lay the chocolate layer over the vanilla layer and press together. Roll the dough to make spiral cookies!
- Gluten Free Vanille Kipferl Cookies
- Chocolate Dipped Gluten Free Roasted Chestnut Cookies
- Gluten Free Pfeffernusse Cookies
- Gluten Free Candied Ginger Cookies
I bake these cookies at 350F degrees for 8 minutes.
I use butter in this recipe so it is not dairy free. That being said, you can make this cookie recipe dairy free with ghee or a dairy free butter. I don’t think it would work with coconut oil because coconut oil melts too rapidly. The cookies may not hold their shape or pattern with coconut oil.
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Tools You Need To Make This Gluten Free Black and White Cookie recipe:
- A large cookie sheet for baking.
- I loved using a standing mixer to make this recipe because it means less work, especially with this dough as it is a bit thicker than regular cookie dough.
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- Add all of the wet ingredients to a standing mixer and mix on low, gradually increasing the speed to medium.
- *Turn off the mixer each time you add dry ingredients so they don't go flying all over your kitchen!
- Slowly add the dry ingredients 1/4 cup at a time. Mix on low speed between each 1/4 cup. Your cookie dough will be somewhat firm like the pictures above.
- Divide the dough in half and put each half into two bowls.
- Add cocoa and 1 tablespoon additional sugar to one bowl. Mix well. This is your chocolate part of the cookies.
- Now you get to use it like playdough! Get a piece of wax paper and lay on the counter. Tear off pieces of cookie dough from both piles and roll like snakes!
- Alternate vanilla and chocolate rolls, pressing together firmly (without smooshing them). Create 3-4 layers of snakes.
- Use the wax paper to gently press the layers together. If you look at my photos, you can see tiny gaps...I didn't press enough when adding each vanilla and chocolate roll.
- Wrap the roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or more.
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Remove the plastic wrap and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a sharp knife to slice cookies from the roll. (See photo above.)
- Lay each cookie flat on the cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack.
There are affiliate links in my posts. This doesn't change the cost you pay for an item, it just means a tiny commission comes to Fearless Dining to help offset the costs of running this blog.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 146 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 28mg Sodium: 64mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 6g Protein: 2g
More Delicious Gluten Free Cookie Recipes to Try: