If you love cookies, these gluten free pfeffernusse cookies will soon become one of your favorites :-).
I am so excited for this holiday season. Cookies are my thing, as you can probably tell from all of the cookie recipes on my blog. The holidays are an excuse to make cookies more often :-).
Two years ago, I started this blog for fun; to try to help people who were gluten free. When we were originally diagnosed, there wasn’t much information out there and I wanted to make sure others could find delicious recipes to enjoy.
Over the past two years, my blog has grown so much and I am truly grateful for all of my readers.
I was at fencing class with my son when I got a text message from David. It was a photo of a box of regular pfeffernusse cookies and a note, “please make this gluten free for me soon.”
Pfeffernusse are a popular cookie in Germany, the Netherlands, and Denmark.
My husband’s family is from Germany and his grandmother used to bake pfeffernusse cookies during the holidays. Since going gluten free, he hasn’t really thought about this cookie…until he was grocery shopping with our daughter a few days ago. Seeing the box of cookies triggered his memories and I knew I had to create a gluten free version for him.
One bite of this gluten free pfeffernusse cookie and I think you will be hooked too.
It is pretty hard to resist when he asked so nicely :-).
Want to see more gluten free cookie recipes? Click here to see all cookie recipes on this site.
Mix the wet and dry ingredients.
If you want a delicious German dinner to enjoy before you eat these cookies, check out my Gluten Free Schnitzel recipe!
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- A cookie scoop makes sure all of your cookies are perfectly the same size.
- Almond flour adds a little protein to balance out the sugar.
How to make gluten free pfeffernusse cookies:
Easy gluten free pfeffernusse cookie recipe
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick of butter melted (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water
- powdered sugar for dusting after the cookies have cooled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients.
- Whisk to blend.
- In a small bowl, add all wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop dough balls onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until done.
- Remove and move to a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool.
- Drop each cookie into powdered sugar and toss to coat.
Here are More Yummy Holiday Cookie Recipes