This easy gluten free Russian tea cookie recipe is a delicious cookie to make to enjoy with a cup of hot tea. Russian tea cookies melt in your mouth and are a fun cookie to make!
If you love cookies as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my delicious gluten free cookie recipes.
I hope these super easy gluten free Russian tea cookies will help add some cheer to your day. Whether it is a holiday or any day…cookies definitely make the days sweeter!
You will love that these cookies use simple ingredients, just about everything should be easy to find in your pantry!”
This cookie recipe is perfect for a cold rainy day because they are really fun to make with your kids. Rolling the dough into balls is only a part of this kid-friendly gluten free snack; eating them will definitely be the best part :-).
To see my very favorite gluten free cookies, check out my Gluten Free Holiday Cookie roundup.
Today has been a great excuse for me and the kids to make these cookies. These cookies are great all year round, but their cute snowy white looks make them the perfect cookie for a cookie exchange or holiday party too!
If you are looking for more Christmas style cookies, check out my best gluten free Christmas Cookies recipes.
It has been so cold here in the Bay Area. This year it has been colder and rainier than usual. Have you been freezing too? I almost feel guilty complaining because we desperately need the rain. Unfortunately, cold rainy weather isn’t ideal when you are trying to stay healthy!
Can you freeze these cookies?
Yes, you can easily freeze these cookies. We like to make a double batch and freeze the extras. Then all we have to do is defrost them and roll them in the powdered sugar.
Nothing goes better with hot tea or coffee than these Russian tea cookies. Their sweet buttery melt in your mouth goodness is so good. These cookies are also known as Mexican Wedding Cookies…just in case you were looking and thought they look familiar.
This easy gluten free Russian tea cookie recipe is super easy to make, so follow along!
How to make this gluten free Russian tea cookie recipe:
Slowly cream the butter with the powdered sugar in a mixer.
I have tested two gluten free flour blends in this recipe. I liked King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure and Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. This doesn’t mean other blends won’t work, I just haven’t tested any others. Try to avoid flour blends that are high in starch.
As always, if your blend does not contain Xanthan Gum, you will need to add 1 teaspoon.
Can you make these cookies without a standing mixer?
You can easily make these cookies in a bowl. Put all of your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk to blend them. In a smaller bowl, add the wet ingredients. Mix the two together and then scoop onto cookie sheet!
Chop up the raw pecans into small pieces.
Can you use different nuts in this cookie recipe?
Although pecans are more traditionally used in this easy tea cookies recipe, you can also use walnuts or different nuts.
Add the rest of the ingredients. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and roll the cookie dough to make balls.
Your dough will be firm enough to roll into balls. Bake at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. When you remove them from the oven, allow them to cool briefly and then roll in powdered sugar!
More delicious gluten free cookie recipes to try:
- These delicious Gluten Free Cranberry Shortbread Bars can be made with any fruit!
- If you love melt in your mouth cookies, these Gluten Free Austrian Vanillekipferl Cookies are another delicious cookie to make.
- Edible Gluten Free Cookie Dough (because sometimes the dough is the best part!)
- If you love a sandwich-style cookie, these Gluten Free Nutella Linzer Cookies are fun to make.
- Crinkle cookies are a lot of fun to make. Give this easy Gluten Free Chocolate Mint Crinkle Cookies recipe a try.
- These Gluten Free Ginger Cookies have a delicious pop of ginger flavor.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dash salt
- 1/4 cup raw pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, add butter, vanilla and sugar. Beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated.
- Slowly add flour on low speed and mix until blended. Add pecans and mix on low.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Place dough balls onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove GENTLY with a thin spatula onto a cooling rack. These cookies are very crumbly when hot.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes. Roll in powdered sugar.
If your gluten free flour blend doesn't contain Xanthan Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
There are affiliate links in my posts. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 68mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
(*Note, this post is updated from an older January 2017 post.)