This easy gluten free Russian tea cookie recipe is a delicious cookie to make to enjoy with a cup of hot tea. Russian tea cookies melt in your mouth and are a fun cookie to make!
If you love cookies as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my delicious gluten free cookie recipes.
Click for Table of Contents:
I hope these super easy gluten free Russian tea cookies will help add some cheer to your day. Whether it is a holiday or any day...cookies definitely make the days sweeter!
This cookie recipe is perfect for a cold rainy day because they are really fun to make with your kids. Rolling the dough into balls is only a part of this kid-friendly gluten free snack; eating them will definitely be the best part :-).
To see my very favorite gluten free cookies, check out my Gluten Free Holiday Cookie roundup.
Today has been a great excuse for me and the kids to make these cookies. These cookies are great all year round, but their cute snowy white looks make them the perfect cookie for a cookie exchange or holiday party too!
If you are looking for more Christmas style cookies, check out my best gluten free Christmas Cookies recipes.
Can you freeze these cookies?
Yes, you can easily freeze these cookies. We like to make a double batch and freeze the extras. Then all we have to do is defrost them and roll them in the powdered sugar.
Nothing goes better with hot tea or coffee than these Russian tea cookies. Their sweet buttery melt in your mouth goodness is so good. These cookies are also known as Mexican Wedding Cookies...just in case you were looking and thought they look familiar.
This easy gluten free Russian tea cookie recipe is super easy to make, so follow along!
Slowly cream the butter with the powdered sugar in a mixer.
Gluten Free Flours
I have tested two gluten free flour blends in this recipe. I liked King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. This doesn't mean other blends won't work, I just haven't tested any others. Try to avoid flour blends that are high in starch.
As always, if your blend does not contain Xanthan Gum, you will need to add 1 teaspoon.
Can you make cookies without a standing mixer?
You can easily make these cookies in a bowl. Put all of your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk to blend them. In a smaller bowl, add the wet ingredients. Mix the two together and then scoop onto cookie sheet!
Chop up the raw pecans into small pieces.
Can you use different nuts?
Although pecans are more traditionally used in this easy tea cookies recipe, you can also use walnuts or different nuts.
You can also make a nut free crinkle cookie like these gluten free honey crinkle cookies.
Add the rest of the ingredients. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and roll the cookie dough to make balls.
Your dough will be firm enough to roll into balls. Bake at 350º F for 8-10 minutes. When you remove them from the oven, allow them to cool briefly and then roll in powdered sugar!
- These delicious Gluten Free Cranberry Shortbread Bars can be made with any fruit!
- If you love melt in your mouth cookies, these Gluten Free Austrian Vanillekipferl Cookies are another delicious cookie to make.
- Edible Gluten Free Cookie Dough (because sometimes the dough is the best part!)
- If you love a sandwich-style cookie, these Gluten Free Nutella Linzer Cookies are fun to make.
- Crinkle cookies are a lot of fun to make. Give this easy Gluten Free Chocolate Mint Crinkle Cookies recipe a try.
- These Gluten Free Ginger Cookies have a delicious pop of ginger flavor.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Russian Tea Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dash salt
- ¼ cup raw pecans chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a mixing bowl, add butter, vanilla and sugar. Beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated.
- Slowly add flour on low speed and mix until blended. Add pecans and mix on low.
- Roll dough into 1 ½ inch balls.
- Place dough balls onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove GENTLY with a thin spatula onto a cooling rack. These cookies are very crumbly when hot.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes. Roll in powdered sugar.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF, Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend, and Authentic Foods Multi Blend in this recipe. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn't contain Xanthan Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- These cookies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)
(*Note, this post is updated from an older January 2017 post.)