If you love lemon flavor and sugar cookies, wait until you try my new Gluten Free Lemon Cookies recipe! It is a delicious blend of sweet lemon flavors! These lemon sugar cookies are easy to make as drop-style cookies or as slice and bake cookies!
These delicious gluten free lemon cookies almost melt in your mouth. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They are the perfect sugar cookie to enjoy when you are in the mood for cookies.
My family has been enjoying all of the new cookie recipes I have been working on. They are my trusted taste testers and have made it through three versions of these lemon cookies. The first version used only lemon extract, the second only lemon juice, and the third, the winner, uses a combination of both!
I hope you love these cookies as much as we do. There is a dairy-free version too for my readers who need to be dairy-free as well!
If you love lemon-flavored desserts, check out all of my delicious Gluten Free Lemon Recipes!!
Why you will love these gluten free lemon cookies:
What isn't to love about sugar cookies? Add in some lemon flavor and these cookies are absolutely amazing! These cookies are perfect for snacking, a bake sale, or any time you are craving cookies. They store in the freezer so you can have a cookie fix whenever you like!
Make them in about 20 minutes. If you are a cookie fanatic like me, you will want to check out all of my gluten free cookie recipes!
- Gluten free flour blend - I tested this recipe using Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend and King Arthur's Measure for Measure Gluten Free Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Xanthan gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- Lemon extract - I use this for that extra lemon flavor. Too much lemon juice can add too much moisture and change the texture. This is why I use a combination of both extract and juice.
- Butter - To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
Recipe step by step directions
Step 1: Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend.
Step 2: In a smaller bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix.
Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix into a big cookie dough ball. Wrap this cookie dough in plastic and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
Step 4: Make the lemon sugar by adding the sugar and lemon zest to a bowl.
Step 5: Roll cookie dough balls with your hands and then roll them into the lemon sugar.
Step 6: Place the sugar coated cookie dough balls on a baking sheet.
*Note, if you want to make slice and bake cookies instead, make a log out of the cookie dough ball. Roll the log into the lemon sugar and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30-45 minutes and slice and bake.
Step 7: Take a glass and smush down all of the cookies.
Step 8: Bake at 350º F for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
Yes, you can skip the fresh lemon juice if you like. The cookies will be a lot sweeter.
You can use cookie cutters if you like. Make sure the dough is cold.
I allow the cookies to cool completely, then put them into a zipper style freezer bag. Press the air out before freezing.
These cookies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
More gluten free cookies to try:
- Gluten Free Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies (aka Sprinkle Cookies!)
- Classic Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten Free Butter Cookies
Gluten Free Lemon Cookies
- 1 ½ cups gluten free flour blend * see note
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter melted or very softened
- 2 eggs size large
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
For Sugar Coating
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend. In a smaller bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix into a big cookie dough ball. Wrap this cookie dough in plastic and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
- Make the lemon sugar by adding the sugar and lemon zest to a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator. Roll cookie dough balls with your hands and then roll them into the lemon sugar.
- Place the sugar coated cookie dough balls on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Take a glass and smush down all of the cookies. Bake at 350º F for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan dairy-free butter.
- These yummy cookies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer. To freeze, put the cooled cookies into a freezer-safe zip lock style bag.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)
These cookies are so light and flavorful! No one knew they were gluten free except me!
I am really glad everyone loved these cookies. I am a huge sucker for lemon desserts :-).