If you love that flavor of egg rolls, wait until you try this quick and easy gluten free egg roll in a bowl recipe. This egg roll bowl recipe is full of fresh delicious vegetables and your choice of ground turkey, beef, pork, or vegan meat. It is full of egg roll flavors, without the carbs from deep frying.
If you love egg rolls, but balk at all of the work involved from rolling to frying, let me introduce you to my family's new favorite dinner recipe. This low carb egg roll in a bowl recipe is hearty, and full of delicious vegetables.
This no-guilt dinner is so easy to make. Although cabbage and carrots are standard, you can add in any vegetables you have on hand!! You can make this recipe with any ground meat or even leftover rotisserie chicken!
If you are looking for a great family dinner, I have tons of delicious gluten free dinner recipes to try!
If you are wondering what to serve with this egg roll in a bowl, there are lots of things you can serve with this dinner, my kids love it over rice best.
Why this recipe is great:
You are going to love this recipe for two reasons. First, there is so much flexibility in what ingredients you use. You can vary the meat and add in veggies. Second, you make this a vegan egg roll in a bowl, or one with meat or seafood.
I also love this recipe uses common, easy to find gluten free Asian sauces so there is no need to go to any specialty stores to shop for ingredients! If you are wondering what other Asian sauces are gluten free, I go over them in my Gluten Free Beef and Broccoli recipe.
- Meat, vegan meat substitute, or seafood - I LOVE making this vegan with Impossible Burger, but you can use ground turkey, beef, or pork. I also like to use shrimp! Pick the protein you have on-hand!
- Gluten free soy sauce - You can also use tamari or coconut aminos! I prefer low sodium.
- Cabbage - I typically use green cabbage but purple cabbage also works well. The secret is to slice it very thinly.
- Sugar - This recipe includes a tablespoon of sugar. You can use honey or maple syrup if you prefer a non-refined sugar alternative.
- Veggies - Use any you have on-hand :-). I used cremini mushrooms in mine, you can also try shiitake!
Recipe step by step directions:
Are you ready to make this easy egg roll in a bowl recipe? Grab a big cutting board and your ingredients. I recommend a big cutting board because cabbage goes everywhere when you slice it thinly.
Step 1: Add the light cooking oil to the pan with garlic, onion (or leeks as I used), and ground meat. Note this photo is of Impossible Meat, a vegan meat substitute. You an use any ground meat or even shrimp!
Cook over medium heat until the meat is mostly browned.
Step 2: Add the rest of the vegetables and cabbage and cook until the vegetables are softened.
Step 3: In a bowl or big measuring cup, add the marinade ingredients and whisk to blend.
Step 4: Pour the sauce over the cooking vegetables. Mix to coat the vegetables. Cover and cook for another 5-8 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
Serve hot by itself, or over quinoa or rice. I like to garnish this with jalapeños for some spice! You can also drizzle some sriracha over the top.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You could use a little hoisin sauce, maybe a tablespoon, but it really isn't necessary. Using this sauce will make the egg roll in a bowl taste more like a stir fry.
You can use bagged coleslaw (without the dressing!) if you want to save time by not chopping up the cabbage and vegetables.
If you don't serve this egg roll recipe over rice, it is considered keto.
You could freeze this recipe, but it is not going to thaw out well because the cabbage will turn to mush.
This should keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container in your refrigerator.
More delicious gluten free Asian recipes:
- Gluten Free Ground Pork Fried Rice
- Easy Gluten Free Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken Pho
- Kid-Approved Gluten Free Beef & Broccoli
Gluten Free Egg Roll In A Bowl
- 1 pound ground beef * see note
- 3 cups green cabbage sliced thinly
- ⅓ cup onion or leek, sliced thinly
- ⅓ cup carrots shredded or thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup bell pepper sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon light cooking oil * see note
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste
For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup gluten free soy sauce * see note
- 3 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- crushed red peppers * optional
- Cut the cabbage and any vegetables you like thinly. Shred the carrot with a grater.
- In an extra large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the ground meat, garlic, and onion. Cook until the meat is mostly browned.
- Add the cabbage and veggies and cook about 5 minutes until the vegetables are beginning to soften.
- In a small bowl, add the sauce ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables and mix well. Cover and cook 5-8 additional minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Serve hot over rice, or by itself. If you like some spice, add sriraracha and jalapeños.
- Use any ground meat you enjoy. Ground turkey, ground chicken, or vegan meat like Impossible Burger. You can also use shrimp!
- Be sure to use a light cooking oil that is good for cooking. Do not use olive oil as it will get rancid cooking.
- If you can't find gluten free soy sauce, use tamari or coconut aminos. I prefer low sodium, but you can use any you like.
- Add in any vegetables you like. I often add broccoli and zucchini as well.
- This recipe does not freeze well because it turns to mush when it is thawed.
- This delicious egg roll in a bowl will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)