These tangy gluten free lettuce wraps are a fun appetizer. If you love P.F. Chang's Gluten Free Lettuce Wraps, you will want to try this easy lettuce wrap recipe. Asian flavored grilled pork with a zesty dipping sauce, you will be hooked after just one bite!
Click for Table of Contents:
These gluten free lettuce wraps are made with ground pork, but you can also use ground turkey or chicken to make them low-fat! Add in my tangy lettuce wrap sauce, and you have a perfect game day appetizer!
Just drizzle some of the savory lettuce wrap sauce on top and they are ready to eat! If you have been missing Asian lettuce wraps, I have you covered with this tasty new recipe!
Why this recipe is great:
These gluten free Asian lettuce wraps are full of flavor, low carb, low sugar, and you can make them in about 20 minutes. Speedy recipes are important when you are entertaining! If you love those P.F. Chang's Asian Wraps, this gluten free version will keep you safe from gluten, while still giving you all of the flavor!
What you need to make this recipe:
- Butter leaf lettuce - this is my favorite because the leaves curve in a way to hug the filling
- Ground chicken, ground pork, ground beef, or turkey also work great
- Veggies you have on-hand. I used shiitake, zucchini, leek, and carrots
- Olive oil
- Scallions - sliced for garnishing the lettuce wraps
- Tamari - see below for gluten free options
- Hoisin - see below for gluten free options
- Sake - this is a Japanese wine that is nice and dry. Feel free to substitute rice wine.
- Red chili paste - see below for gluten free options
- Sesame oil - this is normally gluten free but always read the label.
Recipe Step by Step Directions:
Step 1: Brown your ground meat in a skillet on medium heat. The beauty of this recipe is you can use ground beef, chicken, turkey, or pork!
As the meat is browning, add in the ground vegetables. I used zucchini, shiitake, leeks, and carrots, but you can use what you have on-hand.
Step 2: Mix up the marinde and add the marinade to the meat and cooking vegetables and turn the heat down to simmer.
Step 3: Mix up your gluten free Asian sauce.
Step 3: Wash and break up the butter lettuce leaves. Butter lettuce is the best for lettuce wraps because it hugs the filling. You can use other types of lettuce, like romaine or iceberg, but it may be a bit messy.
Step 4: Assemble the lettuce wraps, add chopped scallions, and drizzle with the sauce.
What Asian sauces are gluten free?
There are quite a few Asian sauces that are now available gluten free. Here are my favorites that I use in this recipe:
- Tamari (aka gluten free soy sauce)- San J, Kikkoman, and Wan Ja Shan are great choices.
- Gluten Free Hoisin Sauce - Wok Mei is my favorite, Kikkoman, and San J also make great hoisin sauces.
- Red Chili Paste - I like Thai Kitchen brand, there are many others but always remember to check the ingredients.
Appetizers are our thing and I am excited to help you with party food ideas. Check out these delicious gluten free appetizer recipes!
More gluten free Asian recipes:
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Lettuce Wraps
- 1 head butter leaf lettuce
- 1 pound ground pork ground beef or turkey also work great
- 7-8 shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 small zucchini or 1 large, sliced
- 1 leek sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 carrot grated for garnish
- 1 scallion sliced for garnish
- For Marinade:
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon hoisin
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- For Dipping Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon hoisin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- In a small bowl, add marinade ingredients. Mix and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil and add leeks. Cook on medium heat.
- Cook one minute.
- Add ground pork, zucchini, and shiitake.
- Cook until almost done and add the marinade to the meat mixture. Turn the heat down to simmer.
- Cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully wash and separate butter leaf lettuce leaves.
- Dry in a salad spinner.
- Mix up dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Lay out lettuce leaves.
- Add meat mixture, carrot and scallion.
- Drizzle with dipping sauce and enjoy!
- You can use any ground meat including turkey, chicken, pork, or beef in this recipe.
- It is okay to use vegetables you have on-hand.
- Kikkoman, San J, and Wok Mei brands all make gluten free versions of their sauces. It is important to read labels to make sure there is no wheat or hidden gluten in their products. The brands I listed will say gluten free on their label.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)