If you love molasses, these soft Gluten Free Molasses Cookies are for you. I used classic backstrap molasses to give this old-fashioned molasses cookie recipe a huge amount of flavor!
Grab a few simple ingredients, I think you are going to like this version of my grandmother’s simple molasses cookie recipe! Keep reading because I included a short video to show you every step to making these cookies!
I often think about family recipes, and how to make them gluten free. I am almost obsessive as I get older because I want to make sure these recipes are preserved for my kids.
Do you like molasses?
What is Molasses Anyway?
One fond memory is around these molasses cookies. These soft cookies almost melt in my mouth. It is funny because when I was a kid, I didn’t like molasses at first. Molasses had such a strong flavor, and it just looked like tar to me when I was growing up.
Fast forward to my teen years, my grandmother had these molasses cookies in a big cookie jar. I was desperate for a sugar fix and dipped my hand into the big jar. I am thankful I tried these cookies again because I have loved molasses cookies ever since.
Molasses is actually that sticky goo that forms when you boil down cane sugar. Blackstrap molasses is full of minerals and there are several health benefits in it. (Don’t tell the kids!) Blackstrap molasses is full of calcium, iron, magnesium, vitamin B6, and selenium.
I would say molasses is an acquired taste…but my kids seem to like it as long as the recipe is pretty sweet to balance it out.
If you love molasses, check out these recipes with molasses:
- Gluten Free Pfeffernusse Cookies
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Coffee Cake
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Biscotti (decorated like Christmas trees!)
Have you tried molasses? I would love to hear how you use it in recipes.
These old-fashioned molasses cookies are really easy to make. Here is the video I promised you :-).
Shopping List for these gluten free molasses cookies:
- Gluten Free Flour blend like Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Blend or Authentic Foods Multiblend.
- Blackstrap molasses
- You probably already have on-hand the sugar, butter, baking soda, and spices!
Steps to Make this gluten free molasses cookie recipe:
Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend. *Don’t forget, if your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum, add 1 teaspoon!)
Add the wet ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend.
Your wet ingredients will look like this when whisked. I love the deep brown color!
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Your cookie dough will be a little stiff like this picture.
Use a cookie scoop to drop cookie dough balls onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
Use a fork to press cross marks on the cookies. this will help flatten them a bit before baking.
Optional: Sprinkle coarse sugar over each cookie. Bake at 350F degrees for 8-10 minutes.
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things You Need To Make This Gluten Free Molasses Cookie Recipe:
- One of my two favorite gluten free flour blends, either Bob’s or Authentic Foods.
- I once laughed at the cookie scoop idea…but it really does ensure your cookies are uniform and pretty.
How to make gluten free molasses cookies:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a smaller bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop the cookie batter into balls on a cookie sheet.
- Use a fork to press the cookies down. (You can see this in the video!) Optional sprinkle course sugar on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until done. Remove onto a cooling rack.
OXO Good Grips Medium Cookie Scoop
Authentic Foods Multi Blend Flour - 3 Pounds
Wilton Recipe Right 3 Piece Cookie Pan Set
There are affiliate links in my posts. This doesn't change the cost you pay for an item, it just means a tiny commission comes to Fearless Dining to help offset the costs of running this blog. Thank you for your support!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 123 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 24mg Sodium: 87mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 9g Protein: 1g
More Delicious Gluten Free Recipes to Try:
(*Note, this recipe was updated from a 3/2017 post on my old blog, Grandmas.)