Get ready to drool because this creamy gluten free apple tart with caramel and vanilla custard is that good. Tart fresh apples collide with creamy custard and an almond tart crust to make an awesome gluten free dessert.
This tart is perfect for anyone who loves apples and caramel. If you love sweet and savory apple recipes. Check out my best gluten free apple recipes on the blog.
Click for Table of Contents:
When it comes to caramel and apples, this gluten free apple custard tart dessert recipe is pretty awesome! It is full of fresh granny smith apples, which plays off the creamy vanilla custard flavors really nicely.
This recipe is sort of due to a snafu. A miscommunication, or crossing of wires. In our house, I am the primary grocery buyer. Walking through the aisles, seeing what is in season is my thing. I can spend an hour in our market :-). I am a self-proclaimed food geek I guess.
I am a self-proclaimed food geek I guess. This week, I bought apples, and so did Mr. Fearless Dining. Our teens are big fruit eaters, but two giant bags of apples? I think I am going to make some of these gluten free apple muffins with some of the extras.
And if my kids are really helpful around the house this week, I may make these Paleo Cinnamon Apple Donuts! That should take me down to just one big bag of apples left, which will be perfect for school lunches this week.
Why you need to try this recipe:
Creamy vanilla custard, sweet tart apples, and a gooey caramel sauce make this dessert so hard to resist. If you love caramel apples, this is the tart recipe you must try. It is really easy to make, with simple ingredients.
This vanilla custard tart has an almond flour and coconut crust. It is light in flavor but holds up well to the moistness of this tart really well. You can try different gluten free crust recipes out on this tart. I suspect they will all be amazing.
What you need to make this recipe:
- Almond flour - I highly suggest using almond flour and not almond meal. Almond meal is more coarse and will make your tart crust grainy.
- Granny smith apples - I love the sweet tartness of this apple variety with the vanilla custard.
- Shredded coconut - Use unsweetened or the tart will turn out too sweet.
- Tapioca starch - You can also use arrowroot starch.
This gluten free tart is very easy to make! Just keep reading to see how to make this gluten free apple tart. Your family will definitely thank you!!
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: To make the almond flour crust, add the crust ingredients and mix well. Use a whisk to blend.
Step 2: Add in the coconut oil into the crust. Mix well.
Step 3: Spray the tart pan with coconut oil and press the tart crust down into the pan.
Step 4: Whisk the wet custard ingredients and cook over low heat until it thickens. It is going to taste so good in this apple custard tart recipe.
Step 5: Take the crust mixture and press into a tart pan. Pour the custard into the crust and lay thinly sliced apples in the custard.
Step 6: Bake at 350º F for 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Slice and drench in caramel if you like :-).
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can definitely make the gluten free tart crust nut-free. Use my popular gluten free nut-free tart crust recipe.
My favorite apples are tart apples. Think Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Honey Crisp, and Braeburn to list a few.
You can easily make this gluten free apple tart in any shape tart pan. Just make sure the bottom lifts out so you can remove the tart from the pan easily!
This tart will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
More gluten free apple recipes:
- Gluten Free Apple Galette
- Light and Fluffy Apple Muffins
- Gluten Free Apple Bundt Cake
- Gluten Free French Apple Cake
- This tart pan is perfect because the bottom comes out, making it very easy to get your tart out of the pan without sticking.
- Almond flour is the primary ingredient in the crust, which adds a great boost of protein!!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Vanilla Custard Caramel Apple Tart
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a small bowl, add the first 3 ingredients. Mix well.
- Add in the coconut oil and mix.
- Spray coconut oil in a tart pan. Pour the crust mix in the tart pan and spread out and press down to flatten all along the bottom and sides of the tart pan.
- In a saucepan, add milk, vanilla, and egg yolks. Cook on medium low heat for 8 minutes. Add tapioca starch and whisk to blend.
- Pour custard into the tart pan. Add sliced apples onto the tart. (See photo above.)
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Drizzle caramel on top.
- I love to use Anthony's or Honeyville Almond Flour brands. I highly suggest using almond flour and not almond meal. Almond meal is more coarse and will make your tart crust grainy.
- I like to use granny smith apples because they are tart and the flavor balances really well with the vanilla custard.
- This tart will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)