Get ready to drool because this creamy gluten free apple tart with caramel and vanilla custard is that good. Tart fresh apples collide with creamy custard and gooey caramel to make an awesome gluten free tart.
This tart is perfect for anyone who loves apples and caramel. If you love sweet and savory apple recipes. Check out my best gluten free apple recipes on the blog.
When it comes to caramel and apples, this caramel apple tart dessert recipe is pretty awesome! It is full of fresh granny smith apples, which plays off the creamy vanilla custard flavors really nicely. (And this vanilla custard fruit tart works well with other fruits too!)
If you love caramel and apples, this gluten free apple tart recipe will become one of your favorites.
This recipe is sort of due to a snafu. A miscommunication, or crossing of wires. In our house, I am the primary grocery buyer. Walking through the aisles, seeing what is in season is my thing. I can spend an hour in our market :-). I am a self-proclaimed food geek I guess.
I am a self-proclaimed food geek I guess. This week, I bought apples, and so did Mr. Fearless Dining. Our teens are big fruit eaters, but two giant bags of apples? I think I am going to make some of these gluten free apple muffins with some of the extras.
And if my kids are really helpful around the house this week, I may make these Paleo Cinnamon Apple Donuts! That should take me down to just one big bag of apples left, which will be perfect for school lunches this week.
Creamy custard is what makes this tart special. It is very easy to make the custard filling. It can also double as a pastry cream as it is thick and delicious.
This vanilla custard tart has an almond flour and coconut crust. It is light in flavor but holds up well to the moistness of this tart really well. You can try different gluten free crust recipes out on this tart. I suspect they will all be amazing.
This gluten free tart is very easy to make! Just keep reading to see how to make this gluten free apple tart. Your family will definitely thank you!!
To make the gluten free crust, add the crust ingredients and mix well. Use a whisk to blend.
Spray the tart pan with coconut oil and press the tart crust down into the pan.
Whisk the wet custard ingredients and cook over low heat until it thickens.
Take the crust mixture and press into a tart pan. Pour the custard into the crust and lay thinly sliced apples in the custard. Bake at 350 degree for 30-35 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Slice and drench in caramel if you like :-).
Can you make this tart nut-free?
You can definitely make the gluten free tart crust nut-free. Use my popular gluten free nut free tart crust recipe.
What kind of apples this recipe?
My favorite apples are tart apples. Think Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Honey Crisp, and Braeburn to list a few.
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- This tart pan is perfect because the bottom comes out, making it very easy to get your tart out of the pan without sticking.
- Almond flour is the primary ingredient in the crust, which adds a great boost of protein!!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 2 granny smith apples, sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, add the first 3 ingredients. Mix well.
- Add in the coconut oil and mix.
- Spray coconut oil in a tart pan. Pour the crust mix in the tart pan and spread out and press down to flatten all along the bottom and sides of the tart pan.
- In a saucepan, add milk, vanilla, and egg yolks. Cook on medium low heat for 8 minutes. Add tapioca starch and whisk to blend.
- Pour custard into the tart pan. Add sliced apples onto the tart. (See photo above.)
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Drizzle caramel on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 14gProtein: 6g
Please note this nutrition information is calculated by a recipe plugin and is an estimate based on the ingredients used in this recipe.