Melted chocolate, coconut, graham crackers, peppermint, and more are layered together to make this incredible holiday recipe, Gluten-Free Peppermint 7-Layer Bars. If you want a great dessert to serve over the holidays, this peppermint magic bars recipe is it!
Of all the 7-layer bars I have made in the past month, these gluten free peppermint 7-layer bars are my favorite. I am a total sucker for candy canes! These sweet bars are perfect for the holidays, but I must confess, I make them all year long...they are that good!
If you love 7-layer bars, aka magic bars, as much as we do, I have a lot of fun flavor variations, so check out these delicious 7 Layer Bars recipes.
I have created several fun flavors of 7-layer bars lately and am excited to share this new recipe with you. I also have a lot of great Gluten Free Christmas Cookie recipes for you to try!
Why Make This Recipe:
- They are perfect for any holiday celebration, from Christmas cookie exchange parties to parties.
- You can freeze these bars, so you always have them on hand.
- I include an easy dairy-free option for gluten- and dairy-free people. See the FAQ for directions.
If you love peppermint, you will also love this Gluten Free Chocolate Mint Biscotti recipe.
For the price and quality, you can't go wrong with Anthony's Cocoa Powder. They test it to ensure it is below 20 ppm.
- Gluten Free Graham Crackers - You can use a few good brands, including Pamela's, Schar, and Kinnickinick.
- Cocoa Powder - I like Anthony's or Ghirardelli's brands.
- Condensed Milk - You can use the regular or dairy-free coconut version.
- Butter - Use unsalted butter.
- Chocolate Chips - Most brands are gluten free, but always check to be sure your chocolate chips are gluten free.
- Shredded Coconut - Use unsweetened coconut, or your bars will be too sweet.
- Peppermint Candy - Use crushed peppermint candy or crushed candy canes.
Tips For Sucess:
- Press the crust layer down firmly so these bars hold together.
- Let the bars cool fully before cutting them. I recommend chilling them in the refrigerator first. They will hold together a lot better.
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
Grease an 8x8 baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350º F.
Step 1: Place the gluten free graham crackers into a food processor and grind them into crumbs.
Step 2: Add the cocoa powder, peppermint extract, and melted butter. Pulse into a crust mixture.
Step 3: Pour the crust mixture into the bottom of the 8x8 pan. Spread the mixture and press with a large spoon to flatten the crust to cover the bottom of the pan.
Step 4: Add your choice of nuts and chocolate chips and sprinkle them over the crust.
Step 5: Pour the condensed milk over the chocolate and nuts.
Step 6: Sprinkle the coconut and top with the crushed candy canes.
Step 7: Pop them into the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Place the pan on a cooling rack for 30 minutes, then move it to the refrigerator to chill.
🔑 Sandi says: Use caution! These bars will be very hot and melty when they come out of the oven. Do not cut these until they are cooled.
Check out 100s of delicious gluten free cookie recipes. I love to create cookie recipes.
More Gluten Free 7 Layer Bar Recipes:
- Gluten Free Gingerbread 7 Layer Bars
- Gluten Free Pumpkin 7 Layer Bars
- Easy Gluten Free Caramel Magic Bars
Gluten Free Peppermint 7 Layer Bars
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1 ½ cups gluten free graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ cup +2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 cup shredded coconut lightly sweetened
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candy I used candy cane
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish.
- Place the graham crackers into a food processor and pulse to grind them. You can also crush them in a large zipper bag if you prefer.
- In a large bowl, add cocoa powder, peppermint extract, and gluten free graham cracker crumbs.
- Toss these with the melted butter.
- Pour crust into baking dish and spread to cover the bottom.
- Press down to compact the crust.
- Add nuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour the condensed milk on top.
- Add coconut layer.
- Top with crushed peppermint.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until done.
- Cool on a wire cooling rack for 30 minutes, then place in the refrigerator to chill for another 30 minutes. Do not eat them hot.
- Use caution, they are very hot when they come out of the oven!
- You can use any brand of gluten free graham crackers.
- Use unsweetened shredded coconut.
- To make these dairy-free, use coconut condensed milk, plant-based butter, and a dairy-free chocolate chip.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freeze in a freezer bag.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
This recipe was updated from a very old December 2014 post with more detailed information.
Simplifying the art of baking and cooking gluten-free recipes.