If you love magic bars, these caramel gluten free magic bars are a treat for you! Creamy, gooey sweetness on top of a gluten free graham cracker crust. The caramel comes from caramel chips, which melt right in!
We are crazy for cookies in the Fearless Dining household. If you are a gluten free cookie fanatic too, please check out all of my delicious gluten free cookie recipes.
Don't these gluten free magic bars look good! You may recognize these as 7 Layer Bars, but many call them magic bars too. If sweet desserts are your thing, grab a pan because you will want to eat these gluten free bars!
Why these are great:
Oooey gooey magic cookie bars made with simple ingredients. My family loves them! They are easy to customize, and you can even make these delicious gluten free magic bars dairy-free!
- Gluten free graham crackers - I love to use Pamela's Honey Graham's best as they crumble better than some of the other brands.
- Condensed milk - Use the regular dairy version, or for dairy-free, use coconut condensed milk.
- Chocolate chips - Use any flavor you like. I love using dark chocolate and bittersweet to offset some of the sweetness.
- Shredded coconut - Make sure to use unsweetened.
Are you ready to give this easy caramel magic bars recipe a try?
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 2: Place the graham cracker crumbs in a bowl and add melted butter. Mix well.
Step 3: Dump the crumbs into a greased 8x8 pan and spread with a spoon to cover the bottom. Use the back of the spoon to press the crumb mixture down flat.
Step 4: Next, add your condensed milk layer. You can use either regular condensed milk or dairy-free condensed milk made from coconut.
Step 5: Add the layer of caramel chips or Kraft Caramel Bits. You will love the flavor these add!
Step 6: Spread the shredded coconut layer over the caramel chips. If you love coconut as much as we do, you should check out these Gluten Free Almond Joy Cookie Bars!!
Step 7: Add lots of chocolate chips!
If you love chocolate as much as we do, check out these Gluten Free Chocolate recipes!
Step 8: Add sliced almonds or another nut type that you love. Feel free to substitute in walnuts, pecans, or any other type of nuts you like!
Step 9: Bake the bars at 350º F for 20-25 minutes. Allow cooling completely before cutting.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
These magic bars freeze really well. In fact, I recommend freezing them to help the gooey ingredients mesh together. It also makes cutting them a LOT easier!
Yes, condensed milk is gluten free. As always, you want to read the label in case a manufacturer changes their ingredients.
This recipe works really well with both regular condensed milk and dairy-free coconut condensed milk. I chose to use coconut condensed milk because I am a coconut fanatic.
If you want these bars to be dairy-free too, use the coconut condensed milk I mention above and use Enjoy Life dairy-free chips (skip the caramel chips) and use a dairy-free butter!
You can use any type of chocolate chip for this recipe. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or bittersweet chocolate chips all taste delicious so use the one you like best! (I will say Ghirardelli is very good for chips that are gluten free. If you want dairy-free chocolate chips, Enjoy Life makes great chips!)
These magic bars will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator. I also love to freeze them. To freeze, add them to a freezer-safe zip-style bag. Lay them single file and freeze flat.
More delicious gluten free cookie bars:
Gluten Free Magic Bars
- 2 cups crushed gluten free graham crackers * see note
- 6 tablesoons butter
- 1 can condensed milk * see note
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup caramel chips
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Put graham crackers in a bag and smash to crumbs.
- Add the crumbs to a bowl and mix with melted butter.
- Pour into an 8x8 greased baking dish.
- Pour in the crumb mixture.
- Pour ¾ of a can of condensed milk on top and spread to cover the crumbs.
- Add chips and coconut.
- Drizzle remaining condensed milk on top of coconut. Add almonds.
- Bake for 22 minutes until done.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- I like to use gluten free Pamala's Honey Grahams best because they crumble really well. You can also buy gluten free graham cracker crumbs.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, use vegan butter, coconut condensed milk, and dairy-free chocolate chips by Enjoy Life.
- These gluten free magic bars will keep up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- You can freeze these bars in zip-style freezer bags. Make sure to freeze single file and lay the bag flat until the bars are frozen.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon desserts e-cookbook!)
(*This blog post was updated from an older 7/2017 post with more information and a video.)