If you are looking for a side dish that people will be raving about, you need to try this gluten free mashed cauliflower with cheese recipe. It is an easy cauliflower cheese bake that even your pickiest eaters will love.
This new gluten free mashed cauliflower recipe is a tried and true winner. It is full of cheese and baked cauliflower flavor. When I first made this recipe, I really didn't think my picky eater would touch this. Imagine our surprise when she had seconds!!
This cauliflower cheese bake is easy to make ahead for easy meal prep. Serve it with dinner or over Thanksgiving as a tasty side dish.
Why This Recipe Is Great:
- It is easy to make ahead so that you can save time!
- Everyone loves it, even the picky eaters.
- You can use gluten free panko or bread crumbs on top. It is very easy to make homemade Gluten Free Breadcrumbs too.
- Cauliflower - Use whole and cut it up. You can also buy it pre-cut or use riced cauliflower.
- Cheddar Cheese - Use cheddar or any blend of cheese. Check to be sure your shredded cheese is gluten free.
- Parmesan Cheese - You can use grated or shredded since it is melted in.
- Butter - I use unsalted, then salt in my recipe to taste.
- Gluten Free Panko or Bread Crumbs - You can buy them or make your own DIY Gluten Free Bread Crumbs.
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
Step 1: Add a vegetable steamer basket to a large pot. Fill the pot with water up to the bottom of the vegetable steamer.
Wash and chop the cauliflower and place it in the steamer basket. Bring the pot to a boil and cook for 10 minutes until the cauliflower is steamed soft.
Step 2: Drain the water and remove the vegetable steamer. Put the cauliflower back into the pot and add the butter, parmesan, salt, garlic powder, and cheddar cheese.
Step 3: Mix with a large spoon. Mash the mixture as you mix until your cauliflower has the mashed texture you want.
Preheat the oven to 350º F.
Step 4: Spread the mashed cauliflower in a greased 8x8 baking dish. Use a large spoon to spread it out evenly.
Step 5: Sprinkle the gluten free panko and parmesan over the top of the mashed cauliflower.
Step 6: Bake for 40 minutes until done. Serve warm.
Serve this mashed cauliflower recipe with:
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can make this dairy-free if you use VioLife (my favorite) dairy-free cheese.
Yes, cauliflower is healthier and less starchy than mashed potatoes.
The best way to prevent mashed cauliflower from getting soggy is to drain it well and add minimal liquids before mashing.
Store leftovers in an airtight container. They will keep fresh for up to 4 days.
More Gluten Free Side Dish Recipes:
- Roasted Green Beans
- Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Thyme Butternut Squash
- Deli-Style Gluten Free Macaroni Salad
Mashed Cauliflower with Cheese
- 6 cups cauliflower about 2 large heads of cauliflower
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup parmesean cheese
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup parmesan
- ½ cup gluten free panko or bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Place a steamer basket in a pot and add water to the pot up to the bottom of the steamer.
- Wash and chop the cauliflower into large pieces and place in the steamer basket. Cover the pot.
- Turn the stove on medium-high heat and bring it to a boil. Let the steam cook the cauliflower for 10-12 minutes until it is soft. The cooking time may vary depending on how large the cauliflower pieces are.
- When the cauliflower is finished cooking, drain the liquid.
- Remove the steamed cauliflower from the basket and put it into the empty pot. Add the cheese, salt, pepper, butter, and garlic powder.
- Mix the ingredients together, mashing the cauliflower as you mix.
- Spread the mashed mixture into a greased 8x8 baking dish. Use a large spoon to spread it out evenly.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko and the remaining parmesan cheese. Mix.
- Sprinkle the topping on the mashed cauliflower.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- You can buy gluten free panko or bread crumbs, or make it homemade with this Gluten Free Bread Crumbs recipe.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Looking for more? Get my FREE Gluten Free Lemon Desserts E-Cookbook when you sign up for my weekly recipe newsletter!