These Gluten Free Gingerbread 7 Layer Cookies are as close to utopia as possible. They are the perfect marriage of gingerbread and seven-layer cookies! They are allergy-friendly, can be adapted in many different ways, and you can enjoy them in about 30 minutes!
I don't know what else to say about this mouthwatering gluten free seven-layer cookie recipe other than this short story. I caught my son running from the kitchen up the stairs with his hands hidden in his sweatshirt pockets.
Suspicion made me follow quietly behind him. These gingerbread 7 layer cookies must be really good for him to sneak food upstairs and risk getting a lecture :-).
As I suspected...he had two of these seven-layer cookies in hand. I will spare you the lecture I gave him, but please be warned, if you make these gluten free gingerbread 7 layer bars, watch all suspicious behaviors in your kitchen!
If you love these bars, wait until you try my gluten free caramel magic bars!
Why Make These Bars:
- If you are a fan of 7 layer bars, this Christmas holiday version is worth a try. They are allergy friendly and can be adapted in many different ways!
- You can enjoy a batch in about 40 minutes!
- These gingerbread magic bars are both gluten- and egg-free, and there is a dairy-free version too!
I enriched the gingerbread flavor with candied ginger. I bought my candied ginger at my local grocery store.
- Gluten Free Graham Crackers - I really like both Pamela's and Schar's brands. They crush a LOT easier than the S'moreables brand.
- Gluten Free Gingersnaps - Midel makes good gluten free gingersnap cookies, but you MUST triple-check the bag. They use the same packaging for gluten free and regular gingersnaps, and stores market them side by side. Look for the big gluten free label on the bag to make sure you grab the right one.
- Shredded Coconut- Use unsweetened.
- Candied Ginger - you can buy this at most grocery stores or make your own with this easy candied ginger recipe.
- Condensed Milk - you can use regular or coconut if you need this recipe to be dairy-free.
- Butter - Use unsalted butter. For dairy-free, use vegan butter. Most butter is gluten free but always check the label.
- Chocolate Chips - you can use milk chocolate, bittersweet, or dark chocolate chips. If you are dairy-free, Enjoy Life Brand chips are best. Ensure your chips are gluten free on my list.
- Nuts - Use any type you like. I tend to use walnuts or pecans, but other nuts also taste great.
You may also love these Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcakes.
- Add nuts like almond slivers or chopped pecans
- Try white chocolate chips instead of the dark!
- Add an almond meal to the crust for added protein!
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
Step 1: Crush gluten free graham crackers and gingersnaps in a large bag. You can also use a food processor. Mix them with melted butter and press them into a baking pan. You can crush them into a powdery consistency or more textured, as I did.
Step 2: Pour half the can of condensed milk over the cracker crust. Use a spoon to spread the condensed milk out evenly.
Step 3: Add the layers of unsweetened coconut and candied ginger.
Step 4: Continue the layers by adding chocolate chips, the remaining condensed milk, almond slices, and another layer of coconut.
Step 5: Bake for 30 minutes at 350º F. Allow to cool before slicing.
NOTE: The melted layers will be hot and a little giggly. Once these cookie bars cool, they will become more solid and firm. Do not eat hot or you will burn your mouth.
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can easily make this recipe dairy-free by using condensed coconut milk instead of regular condensed milk. Ensure your chocolate chips are also dairy-free by using the brand Enjoy Life chips.
I used an 8x8 pan to bake these gluten free gingerbread 7 layer bars.
These cookie bars will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container or up to 4 months in the freezer.
More Gluten Free Holiday Recipes:
- Gluten Free Candied Ginger White Chocolate Biscotti
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Donuts
- Gluten Free Eggnog Cupcakes
- Gluten Free Panettone
This post was updated with more details from an older October 2017 post.
Gluten Free Gingerbread 7 Layer Bars
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Add your gingersnaps and graham crackers to a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to crush them into crumbs.
- In a baking dish, spray coconut oil or other oil on sides to prevent sticking.
- In a small bowl, add all crumbs.
- Pour in melted butter and stir to mix.
- Pour crumb mixture into baking dish and spread along the bottom.
- Pat down crust.
- Add chips and nuts and spread along whole crust.
- Pour condensed milk all over the top of chips and nuts.
- Add ginger chips and then spread coconut along the top.
- Press down on everything slightly.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Cool before cutting.
- Gluten free graham crackers - I really like both Pamela's and Schar brands. They crush a LOT easier than the S'moreables brand.
- Gluten free gingersnaps - Midel makes really good gluten free gingersnap cookies but you MUST triple check the bag. They use the exact same packaging for gluten free and regular gingersnaps and stores market them side by side. Look for the big gluten free on the bag to make sure you grab the right one.
- Shredded coconut- use unsweetened.
- Candied ginger - you can buy this at most grocery stores, or make your own with this easy candied ginger recipe.
- Condensed milk - you can use regular, or coconut if you need this recipe to be dairy-free.
- Butter - use vegan butter or coconut oil if you are dairy-free.
- Chocolate chips - you can use milk chocolate, bittersweet, or dark chocolate chips. If you are dairy-free, Enjoy Life Brand chips are best.
- These cookie bars will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)