Have you tried a popover yet? These pumpkin spice gluten free pumkin spice popovers are almost like a little airy souffle that you can hold in your hand and eat. This gluten free pumpkin spice popover recipe would make a great fall treat.
What is a popover?
As I mentioned above, a popover is like a souffle and a roll combined into one delicious bread. These pumpkin popovers rise way up above the pan as they cook. You have to get them out of the oven quickly because they fall pretty quickly as they cool down.
Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. These popovers would be gorgeous to serve over the holidays. Combine a basic popover recipe with pumpkin spice and you get the perfect pumpkin popover recipe!
If you love gluten free bread as much as we do, you will want to try all of my gluten free bread recipes.
As I first start off, I do need to tell you how deceptively easy this popover recipe is to make. You fill the little cups in the popover pan about halfway. And bam, they are light and fluffy right out of the oven.
When they are baking in the oven, they rise way up. You may worry that they will spill over the top edges!
I flavored my popover recipe with pumpkin spice for fall. You can easily omit the pumpkin spice and enjoy them all year long to make gluten free popovers!
Why these pumpkin spice popovers are great:
- These popovers are easy to make.
- You get delicious pumpkin spice flavor in every fluffy bite.
- Nobody will know these pumpkin spice popovers are gluten free!
- You can serve them with any meal!
- Gluten free flour blend - I tested this recipe using Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend and King Arthur's Measure for Measure Gluten Free Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours and I can not guarantee the recipe will work if you use other mixes.
- Xanthan Gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- Eggs - Use size large.
- Pumpkin spice - Use store-bought or make your own homemade pumpkin spice by blending 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger (more if you like it gingery!), and ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves.
- Milk - If you are dairy-free, use a non-dairy milk.
- Butter - Use vegan butter if you need these popovers to be dairy-free.
Recipe step by step directions:
Preheat the oven to 425º F.
Step 1: Add your dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
Step 2: Add your butter to a microwave safe bowl. Melt for 35 seconds to soften the butter. Add the rest of the wet ingredients to the bowl and mix.
Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Step 4: Mix gently being careful not to overmix the batter.
Step 5: Pour the batter into a greased popover pan. Fill each cup about ½ way.
Step 6: Bake at 425º F for 20 minutes then reduce the heat to 350º F for 10 minutes. Be careful not to open the oven door (they will completely deflate if you open it!)
Step 7: Take these beauties out of the oven and......ever so carefully remove them from their pan. Poke a tiny hole in the side of each popover with a toothpick. This will prevent them from deflating. Let them cool a bit then take a bite.
These fall flavored pumpkin spice popovers turn out crispy on the outside and moist and chewy on the inside. They would go wonderfully with any meal or have one with a cup of tea or coffee :-). These popovers are wheat free and Celiac safe.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
A popover pan is a deep pan with cups that are separated from each other so hot air can circulate around each cup.
If you don't have a popover pan, you can easily make this recipe for popovers in a muffin tin. Your gluten free popovers will just be a lot shorter. They will still rise up and taste light and fluffy!
If you didn't poke a hole in your popovers, they can deflate. Another cause is if you open the oven door too soon.
Popovers are usually best eaten right away, but they will keep up to 2 days in an airtight container.
More gluten free pumpin recipes:
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Shortbread
- Easy Gluten Free Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oats Parfaits
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Biscotti
Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Popovers
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free flour blend * see note
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 4 eggs large
- 1 cup milk or non-dairy
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 425º F. You won't bake the popovers at this temperature the whole time, but you want the oven to be very hot for the first 10 minutes of baking. I put my empty popover pan in the oven while it is heating up to get that warm too.
- Spray coconut oil in each cup of a popover pan.
- In a large bowl, add dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a small bowl, whisk all wet ingredients together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk to blend
- Fill each popover cup about ⅔ full with batter.
- Quickly put the pan into the oven. Bake at 425º F for 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350º F for 10 minutes. Do NOT open the oven door during baking time. This will cause your popovers to deflate.
- To prevent them from deflating when you take them out of the oven, quickly poke a hole in the side of each popover when you take them out of the oven. You can use a toothpick or sharp knifepoint.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Xanthan gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- These popovers will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer. Thaw then reheat them in the oven at 325º F for 15 minutes.
- Note: If you don't have a popover pan, don't worry. Many make popovers in a muffin pan. They just won't get as tall, but the bubbly fluffiness will still be there!
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)