This is by far my favorite fall soup recipe. My creamy vegan butternut squash soup recipe is savory-sweet with a hint of spice and pairs beautifully with a glass of Chardonnay.
You will love how quickly this soup comes together, making it perfect for a busy day. So, pull up a chair and a glass of wine and enjoy! If you love winter squash as much as we do, don't forget to check out all of my gluten free winter squash recipes on the blog :-).
Click for Table of Contents:
Is it beginning to feel like fall where you live? It's still pretty warm where I live, but the best part is that our evenings are cooling off by six or seven most nights now. Fall is coming! Yay!
Fall also means falling back into football season, or, as Mr. Fearless Dining likes to say, "falling back on the couch!" (Though, if you do, he advised, make sure you are drinking Butter, the amazing chardonnay from JaM Cellars, and not the JaM Cabernet, because white wine spills are easier to hide from your spouse!)"
Winter Squash Recipes
Another fall favorite is winter squash season. I know you can get winter squash year-round, but these vegetables are in their prime sweetness during the fall and winter. Give me butternut, acorn, delicata, kabocha, or any winter squash and I am a happy girl.
Mr. Fearless Dining will proudly say it is finally the "end of mushy zucchini season", which is always a good thing in his mind. Personally, I blame his mother for his acute hatred of all things summer squash!"
This easy butternut squash soup recipe is ready in under 20 minutes so you have more time to spend out of the kitchen with friends.
There is something comforting about a hot bowl of soup in the fall. I have so many amazing gluten free soup recipes for you to try! I hope you will agree that this is the best butternut soup recipe you have tried, it is that good!
After being introduced to Butter and JaM Cab, I am a JaM fan because these wines are so easy to pair with foods. They make versatile wines that are all about fun. Open up a cold bottle of Butter and make a pot of this quick and easy creamy butternut squash soup.
This naturally gluten free butternut soup is also vegan and paleo so it is perfect for anyone who loves comfort food! My creamy butternut soup is full of ginger, nutmeg, and a splash of chipotle for a kick.
- Butternut squash puree, (I used a canned organic butternut squash puree)
- Coconut milk
- Chipotle pepper
- Ginger, (powdered)
- Olive oil
- Arrowroot starch
To make this autumn squash soup quickly, I used a can of organic butternut squash puree. You can find this at your grocery store.
Canned vs freshly roasted butternut squash
Many like to know whether canned or roasted butternut squash is best to make soups with. I will be honest...I prefer organic canned butternut squash for making soups.
It is already roasted and flavorful...and you don't have to puree the heck out of the roasted squash to get all of the lumps out. If you decide you want to use roasted butternut squash, here
How to roast butternut squash:
- Cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Brush the squash with olive oil (or coconut oil works too!) and put the halves of squash face up on a baking dish.
- Bake the squash at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until it is soft.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the cooked squash and add it to a bowl. Add 3 tablespoons (or more if needed) of water and beat until creamy. For this soup recipe, you don't want your butternut squash puree to be too thick.
How long will this soup keep in the refrigerator?
This homemade butternut squash soup will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator since it is vegan.
Can you freeze the extras?
You can definitely freeze the extra soup! To freeze, I like to pour the soup into a Freezer Ziplock style bag. Squeeze all of the air out, seal, and freeze. It will keep in your freezer for up to 4 months.
How can you make butternut soup thicker?
There are several ways to make butternut soup thicker. You can use less liquid, or you can thicken the soup with arrowroot or tapioca starch. Make sure to whisk it constantly as you sprinkle in the starch or you will get lumps.
More Delicious Winter Squash Recipes to Try:
- The whole family will love this mild 30 Minute Butternut Squash Chili recipe.
- These crispy Gluten Free Delicata Squash Fritters make a great appetizer.
- If you are in the mood for soup, this Vegan Red Kuri Squash Soup is very popular. Sub butternut squash if you can't find kuri squash.
- This is a fun way to serve butternut squash. These Butternut Squash Noodles with Brown Butter Sage Sauce is the perfect side dish
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- 14 ounces butternut squash puree (I used a canned organic butternut squash puree)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (powdered)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- Add all ingredients except the cornstarch to a small pot and bring to a boil on medium high heat.
- Add cornstarch and whisk to blend.
- Turn the heat down to low to simmer for 10 more minutes.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)