If you love grilled fish, this easy bacon-wrapped grilled tilapia recipe will make a delicious dinner. It is so easy to learn how to cook tilapia on the grill! Just in case you prefer to bake the tilapia in the oven, I include these directions as well.
Get ready for some delicious seafood recipes. Here are 50+ delicious gluten free seafood recipes for you to try.
Look no further than this mouthwatering grilled tilapia wrapped in bacon recipe. We are trying to incorporate healthy fish into a couple of meals a week and quite honestly, it has been rough. I have had a few successes with this Gluten Free Cod Fettucine Alfredo.
Here is my newest attempt to make fish edible for our kids. Tilapia grilled is a great way to prepare fish for little palates.
Bacon makes everything better, right?? It certainly does when you are talking about bacon wrapped fish!!
They ate the fish, gaining speed as they got used to the fact it tasted a lot like bacon. Neither child asked for seconds, but it was a huge success in the fact that they ate fish without all of the complaints.
Why this recipe is great:
First and foremost, my kids eat it. I love when they are willing to eat new healthy foods, even if it is wrapped in bacon. This recipe is easy to make with just 3 simple ingredients, and it is also a great recipe if you are on a budget.
I have lots of easy delicious gluten free budget recipes on my blog because gluten free can be so expensive!
What you need to make this:
The ingredients are so basic, so easy to find and you may already have them on-hand.
Recipe step by step directions:
Tilapia wrapped with bacon and ready for the grill.
(This grill basket has made it a lot easier. When I used foil, the bacon just didn't get as crispy as it does with a basket.)
On the grill and ready to cook, this grilling tilapia is going to be good!
Directions to Bake Tilapia In Foil:
Preheat your oven to 400º F.
For oven baking, wrap your tilapia in bacon as described above in the grill directions. Place the tilapia onto the foil and put it into a 9x13 baking dish. Fold the foil up around the fish so it catches the dripping. This will make clean up so much easier.
Do not cover the tilapia because you want the oven to brown the bacon. Bake for 12-15 minutes until done. The tilapia should be 145º F internal temperature. Serve hot and enjoy!
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
The tilapia should be 145º F internal temperature.
You can definitely use different fish. My kids prefer mild white fish best so any mild fish would work well like cod.
You can easily substitute turkey bacon if you prefer this to be low-fat.
This fish recipe will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
More Delicious Bacon Recipes to Try:
- Hearty Bacon Lentil Soup
- Gluten Free Maple Bacon Scones
- Mashed Potato Pie with Bacon Roses
- Bacon-Wrapped Cornish Game Hens
Grilled Bacon Wrapped Tilapia
- 4 tilapia filets
- 8 pieces long thick cut of raw bacon
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley to garnish
- Preheat the grill to 400º F.
- Spray coat a grilling basket with cooking spray.
- Put the tilapia in a dish. Coat with salt and pepper.
- Brush a small amount of olive oil onto the fish.
- Take two raw pieces of bacon and wrap it around the tilapia.
- Do this with all of the pieces of tilapia.
- Put into the grilling cage.
- (I kept a plate under the basket as I prepared the fish so it wouldn't drip all over the kitchen.)
- Put grill basket with the fish onto the grill.
- Cook on one side for 5 minutes on high heat and then flip the basket to cook the other side.
- Cook until the fish is flaky and white. Bacon may need a few extra minutes, and that is okay.
- Serve warm with parsley sprinkled on top.
- You can use tilapia or another mild white fish like cod in this recipe.
- Feel free to use turkey bacon to make this recipe low-fat.
- This fish will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)