If you love grilled fish, this easy bacon-wrapped grilled tilapia recipe will make a delicious dinner. It is so easy to learn how to cook tilapia on the grill! I also include these directions if you prefer to bake the tilapia in the oven.
Bacon makes everything better, right?? It certainly does when you are talking about bacon-wrapped fish!!
Here is my newest attempt to make fish edible for our kids. Tilapia grilled is a great way to prepare fish for little palates. I have had a few successes with this Gluten Free Cod Fettucine Alfredo.
They ate this fish, gaining speed as they got used to the fact that it tasted like bacon. Neither child asked for seconds, but it was a huge success in the fact that they ate fish without complaints.
Get ready for some delicious seafood recipes. Here are 50+ delicious gluten free seafood recipes for you to try. During the colder months, you may enjoy this easy grouper recipe. It is pan-seared and is great.
Why This Recipe is Great:
- First and foremost, my kids eat it. I love it when they are willing to eat new healthy foods, even if they are wrapped in bacon.
- This recipe is easy to make with just 3 simple ingredients.
- This grilled tilapia recipe is also a great recipe to make if you are on a budget.
I have so many easy, delicious gluten-free budget recipes on my blog because gluten-free can be expensive!
- Tilapia – Although this recipe features tilapia, you can make any bacon-wrapped fish. This is tasty with salmon, too!
- Bacon – Use regular or turkey bacon to wrap the fish.
- Cooking Oil – Use canola or avocado oil. These oils work well with high heat.
- Salt and Pepper
Step 1: Be sure your tilapia is thawed. Most tilapia is sold frozen, so it is important to thaw it before grilling.
You can thaw tilapia by letting it sit in the refrigerator for a day or two or let the package soak in room temperature water for an hour.
Step 2: Wrap a piece of bacon around the tilapia. Preheat the grill to 400º F.
Step 3: Gently place the bacon-wrapped fish in a grill basket. This grill basket has made it a lot easier. When I used foil, the bacon didn’t get as crispy as it does with a basket.
This grilled tilapia will be good on the grill and ready to cook!
Directions to Bake Tilapia In Foil:
Preheat your oven to 400º F.
For oven baking, wrap your tilapia in bacon as described above in the grill directions. Place the tilapia onto the foil into a 9×13 baking dish. Fold the foil up around the fish so it catches the dripping. This will make cleaning up so much easier.
Do not cover the tilapia because you want the oven to brown the bacon. Bake for 12-15 minutes until done. The tilapia should be at 145º F internal temperature. Serve hot, and enjoy!
Sides to Serve With Tilapia:
- This Gluten Free Mashed Cauliflower Casserole makes an incredibly flavorful side.
- Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes are a quick and easy side dish to serve with fish.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Grilled tilapia will keep fresh for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
The tilapia should be at 145º F internal temperature.
You can definitely use different fish. My kids prefer mild white fish best, so any mild fish would work well like cod.
The two best ways to grill tilapia are to either use a grill basket or cook the tilapia on foil on the grill.
More Recipes With Bacon to Try:
- Hearty Bacon Lentil Soup
- Gluten Free Maple Bacon Scones
- Mashed Potato Pie with Bacon Roses
- Bacon-Wrapped Cornish Game Hens
Grilled Bacon Wrapped Tilapia
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
- 4 tilapia filets
- 8 pieces long thick cut of raw bacon
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley to garnish
- Preheat the grill to 400º F.
- Spray coat a grilling basket with cooking spray.
- Put the tilapia in a dish. Coat with salt and pepper.
- Brush a small amount of olive oil onto the fish.
- Take two raw pieces of bacon and wrap it around the tilapia.
- Do this with all of the pieces of tilapia.
- Put into the grilling cage.
- (I kept a plate under the basket as I prepared the fish so it wouldn’t drip all over the kitchen.)
- Put grill basket with the fish onto the grill.
- Cook on one side for 5 minutes on high heat and then flip the basket to cook the other side.
- Cook until the fish is flaky and white. Bacon may need a few extra minutes, and that is okay.
- Serve warm with parsley sprinkled on top.
- You can use tilapia or another mild white fish like cod in this recipe.
- Feel free to use turkey bacon to make this recipe low-fat.
- This fish will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn’t test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Your go-to haven for gluten-free living, where I share hundreds of delicious, family-friendly recipes, helpful gluten-free resources, and allergen-friendly options for everyone!