If you love seafood, wait until you try these healthy grilled mahi mahi foil packets. Wild mahi mahi grilled in foil with fresh vegetables, lime, and seasoning. Grilling mahi mahi in foil is perfect for cookouts and camping!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Safeway. All opinions are 100% mine.
You are going to love today's recipe!! I know a lot of my readers are big seafood eaters and I am excited to hear how you like this homemade mahi mahi recipe! If you haven't used foil packets to cook meals on your grill, you will love how easy this is!
I love mahi mahi because it is a mild fish, and my kids love it. We only buy sustainably raised seafood and the best place to find it is my local Safeway Grocery Store.
Open Nature® Responsible Choice™ Seafood is wild-caught and you can feel good knowing all their seafood products are caught in ways that preserve and safeguard future supplies to keep the ecosystem thriving.
Open Nature seafood products have no preservatives, and they even have a 100% money-back guarantee! Just look for the responsible choice logo!
You can find responsible choice seafood at all of the Albertson's family of stores including Albertsons, Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, Tom Thumb, and Vons.
We have three Safeway stores nearby and they all carry a wide variety of Open Nature seafood including mahi mahi, salmon, shrimp, halibut, bay scallops, Alaska cod, swordfish steaks, and yellowfin tuna.
You can also use the Safeway app to save money when you shop in their stores!
Are you ready to get cooking? You can also change it up by adding some of this Nut Free Pesto to the foil packet. Let's start with the ingredients.
- Open Nature Mahi Mahi
- Small potatoes
- Zatarain's Cajun Seasoning or Old Bay
- Salt, pepper, olive oil
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Wash mini potatoes and slice them in half. Microwave them for 5 minutes in a microwave-safe bowl. This will soften them enough to grill.
Step 2: Preheat your grill to 400 degrees F.
Step 3: Take a big piece of foil. Add your raw mahi mahi, potatoes, and asparagus. Sprinkle the fish and vegetables with either Zatarain's Cajun seasoning or Old Bay Seafood Seasoning. Drizzle with olive oil.
Step 4: Fold up the foil to close the packets. Leave a small section open so the steam can vent out.
Step 5: Grill with the grill cover closed for 10 minutes. Remove from the grill and enjoy hot.
What vegetables can go in a foil packet?
Feel free to use any vegetables you like. Safeway has tons of fresh vegetables both organic and conventionally grown. Some of my favorites include:
- Green beans
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
The exact time to grill mahi mahi depends on how thick your cut of mahi mahi is. The filets by Open Nature are not thick and mine grilled in just 10 minutes.
Insert a fork into the mahi mahi, if the fish flakes easily, the fish is done cooking. It will also feel firm to the touch.
Mahi mahi is wonderfully healthy fish. It is full of omega threes and protein, plus it makes a great low fat meal.
You can use either lemon or lime in this recipe.
This fish will keep up to 4 days in a refrigerator. Make sure to keep in a sealed air-tight container.
We also love using Open Nature shrimp in these recipes:
- Shrimp Fra Diavolo is a great recipe to enjoy.
- This Honey Garlic Shrimp is popular with kids and grownups a like!
🥗 Side dishes:
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Foil Packet Grilled Mahi Mahi
- 4 pieces Mahi Mahi thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon Zaitarin's Cajun Seasoning or Old Bay
- salt to taste
- Microwave the cut potatoes for 5 minutes to soften.
- Preheat your grill or oven to 375º F.
- Tear four pieces of tin foil.
- Add a piece of mahi mahi to each.
- Add the potatoes and some asparagus (or any other vegetable you like).
- Sprinkle the seasoning and salt/pepper over the fish and vegetables. Top with fresh lime slices.
- Drizzle olive oil over each and then fold up the foil. Fold up the foil packets and put onto the grill.
- Grill about 10 minutes and check. The potatoes should be soft and the fish firm.
- Remove the foil packets from the grill or oven and enjoy!
- Feel free to use any vegetables you like for this recipe. I love to prevent food waste and any vegetable will taste delicious so use what you have on-hand.
- Use thawed mahi-mahi. If yours is frozen, let it sit in room temperature water for 10-15 minutes in the package.
- You can cook this recipe on a grill or in the oven. The cooking time and temperature is the same.
- This recipe will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.