Get ready for a delicious banana flavor explosion when you take a bite of this gluten free banana cream pie. Homemade vanilla pudding and fresh ripe banana slices in a flaky gluten free pie crust. It is the ultimate dessert!
If you love bananas as much as we do, you are going to want to check out these gluten free banana bars too. They are moist and delicious...and full of chocolate chips.
Click for Table of Contents:
When is the last time you made a cream pie? I honestly can't remember the last time I made one. I was shooting a tutorial video today to teach everyone how to make a flaky gluten free pie crust, and I needed to come up with a filling for the pie crust.
We had 4 over ripe bananas on the counter and that pretty much sealed the deal! If your bananas aren't ripe, don't worry. You can still easily make this recipe!!
Best ways to ripen bananas:
- Place your bananas on a baking sheet and bake at 225º F for 20 minutes.
- If you aren't in a hurry, you can put your bananas in a brown paper bag and let them sit on the counter. (Don't forget to close the bag!)
- You can grill the bananas. Just slit down the skin and place on a grill. Close the lid and cook at 300º F for 15 minutes.
Why this recipe is so good:
Sweet ripe bananas and vanilla pudding are nestled in a flaky gluten free pie crust. This is a classic dessert that is delicious all year long! You can use my simple gluten free pie crust recipe, or a store-bought gluten free crust.
Making this gluten free banana cream pie recipe from scratch is easy and I will walk you through every step.
Recipe step by step instructions:
The first step is to make the pudding pie filling. This will allow cooling time while you make the pie crust.
Step 1: Put a saucepan onto the stove and turn the heat to medium. Pour in your milk. (*Note it is important to use whole milk in this recipe. Non-dairy milk does not set as well and 2% and skim kinds of milk often don't set enough, leaving your pie filling "runny".)
Step 2: Add the sugar. Bring to a gentle boil, whisking the whole time. Turn the heat down to simmer. Next add the gluten free flour blend, butter, and vanilla.
Step 3: Temper the eggs with some of the hot milk mixture. If you haven't tempered eggs, scroll down to my tips and recipe FAQ for instructions
Step 4: Make my flaky gluten free pie crust recipe. That link will take you to a full video, the recipe, and step by step directions! You will want to bake the pie crust at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes to partially bake the crust.
Step 5: Slice 3 bananas and layer into the pie crust. This doesn't have to be perfect because they will move around a little in step 6.
Step 6: Pour the pudding batter over the bananas. Bake at 350º F for 18 minutes. Remove from the oven and put in the refrigerator to cool. Cool for 2 hours.
Step 7: Spread whipped cream (homemade, store-bought, or non-dairy) over the top of the pie.
Step 8: Optional, decorate the pie with banana slices from a 4th banana. Enjoy! You can also freeze the pie for a cold treat on a hot summer day!
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
The biggest reason why banana cream pie turns out runny is because the pudding didn't cook long enough to set.
This gluten free banana cream pie should be stored in the refrigerator to keep it from molding.
I used a gluten free flour blend to thicken my banana cream pie. You could use corn starch or tapioca starch to thicken this pie.
The best way to prevent the crust from getting soggy is to store the pie in the refrigerator or freezer. The crust will absorb moisture from the pie because it is a wetter filling.
This banana cream pie will keep up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
You can easily use a store-bought pie crust or graham cracker crust for this recipe.
How to temper eggs:
It is easy to learn how to temper eggs. It is important so that your eggs don't cook in the hot liquid before they are mixed in. To temper your egg yolks, add them to a small dish. Add a small amount of the hot liquid and stir quickly. Repeat 3x so that you have added enough liquid to warm the eggs to the liquid's temperature. Pour into the milk mixture.
Don't forget to keep whisking the whole time, this will prevent burning on the bottom of the pot and prevent lumps!
More Delicious Gluten Free Banana Recipes:
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Banana Cream Pie
- Gluten free pie crust
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup gluten free flour blend *See note
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk *See note
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 cups whipped cream topping *See note
- Make or use a store-bought gluten free pie crust. (*See note) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, add the milk, sugar, flour, and salt. Whisk and cook on medium heat until it gets a slightly bubbly. (Make sure to keep whisking constantly to avoid it burning on the bottom). Turn the heat to low.
- Put the 3 egg yolks in a mug or heat-safe container (not plastic). Take a spoon and add a spoonful of hot liquid to the eggs and mix quickly. Repeat 3x with the hot liquid to temper your eggs. Once the eggs are tempered you can pour them into the pot and whisk.
- Add the butter and vanilla and keep whisking. Turn the stove off and move the pan to a cool burner to allow some cooling.
- Slice 3 bananas (the fourth banana is for the top of the pie). Layer the banana slices in the pie crust.
- Pour the pudding mixuture over the bananas and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pie and put into the refreigerator to cool for 2 hours.
- Add a layer of whipped cream on top and decorate with the remaining sliced bananas.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)