If you love desserts, this homemade vanilla cream sauce is better than whipped cream :-). Drizzle it on cakes and bread pudding. Not only is this sauce a winner on your favorite dessert, but it is the perfect base for cocktail recipes too!
This vanilla cream sauce is so good on desserts. Feel free to drizzle it on some of these Gluten Free Dessert recipes.
Fresh Vanilla Beans vs Vanilla Extract
Do you love vanilla beans? If you do, then you will love this simple vanilla sauce. Vanilla comes from a pod full of vanilla beans. Each pod has to have the vanilla beans scraped out, which is really labor-intensive.
Pure vanilla is more expensive, but it is really worth the price. Imitation vanilla extract just doesn't taste as good. You can use vanilla extract in this recipe, but you will lose some of the sweetness. A better alternative would be to use a vanilla bean paste.
This vanilla cream sauce is made from scratch in just minutes. This is made from wholesome ingredients because fresh is always better than something canned!
What can I use this vanilla sauce on?
Is there a vegan alternative?
This sauce is naturally gluten free and this sauce can be made vegan if you substitute coconut oil instead of the butter. It is perfect for those who have food allergies.
Add sugar and cornstarch to a small pot. Add a little hot water and whisk to blend the sugar sauce.
Add the rest of the hot water, butter, and a lemon slice and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat. Simmer until the vanilla sauce thickens. Cool and serve. I love that this vanilla cream sauce is made without heavy cream!
More delicious gluten free desserts to try:
Reader Jax said "Perfect! Made for an amazing dessert drizzled over pound cake and berries. Loved it!"
- An easy to use whisk so your cream sauce doesn't get lumpy.
- Mason jar to store your sauce in. It should keep in the refrigerator for a week.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Homemade Vanilla Cream Sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch * see note
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 slice of lemon
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- tiny dash salt
- In a small sauce pan, add sugar and cornstarch.
- Pour in a little of the hot water and whisk quickly to blend.
- Turn on the stove onto low heat and add the rest of the water, butter, vanilla, and lemon.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- You can use tapioca starch or arrowroot starch instead of corn starch.
- This vanilla sauce will keep up to 6 days in the refrigerator. You can freeze it up to 4 months.
- Slather this cream sauce on pie, ice cream, and cakes.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)