This simple taco soup with chicken recipe makes a delicious taco soup recipe filled with chicken, black beans, fresh vegetables, and Mexican spices. This soup recipe is kid-approved, too! Make it in under 30 minutes.
If you are looking for a hearty soup recipe, my homemade taco soup is hearty enough to be a meal. It has lots of shredded low-fat chicken breast and vegetables. It makes a delicious healthy dinner the whole family is going to love!
Sometimes you make a soup and it is an unexpected hit. This shredded chicken taco soup is one of those pleasant surprises!
You will want to check out all of my homemade gluten free soup recipes...you are guaranteed to find your next favorite! And if you love onion soup, this gluten free onion soup is incredible with its caramelized onion flavors!
Why This Recipe is Great:
- Versatile: This homemade taco soup can be made with a variety of ingredients. I love adding different types of beans and vegetables.
- Flavorful: My taco soup is packed with flavor, thanks to the combination of spices like cumin, chili powder, and garlic. You can top it with traditional taco toppings like cheese, sour cream, and avocado, which add even more flavor.
- Nutritious: This soup is made with healthy ingredients like chicken breast, beans, and vegetables. It's also a great source of fiber and can help keep you full and satisfied.
- Easy to make: Taco soup is a one-pot meal that is easy to make in just 30 minutes.
- Chicken Breasts - I use chicken breasts for this recipe; you can also use boneless other cuts. You want boneless because it is easier to shred.
- Onions - You can use any type of onion for this recipe; I have even used leeks. My favorites are yellow and spring onions.
- Garlic - I love using green garlic in this recipe. Have you tried green garlic? It is only available for a short time in the spring, but it has an incredible flavor that is so good in this soup recipe. If you can't find green garlic, that is okay! Just substitute 2 minced cloves of regular garlic.
- Vegetables - The sky is the limit! I like to make this soup and use the veggies in the back of the refrigerator that will go bad soon. I use green beans, celery, and carrots for this recipe and the photos. You can also use jarred roasted red peppers!
- Chicken Broth - I prefer to use low-sodium, but either will work well.
If you love chicken as much as we do, you will want to check out ALL of my delicious Gluten Free Chicken Recipes.
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
This taco soup is so easy to make, and I want to apologize in advance for not taking many photos of it cooking. I will list out all of the steps, so you can follow along anyways.
Step 1: In a soup pot, add a little avocado oil (or another high-heat oil) and heat over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the rest of the chopped vegetables, like celery, pepper, garlic, and corn. If you only have zucchini and onion, use those in your healthy taco soup recipe!
Sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add the broth, spices, canned and rinsed beans, and raw chicken breasts.
Step 3: Cover and bring it to a rolling boil. Once the gluten free taco soup is boiling, let it boil for 10 minutes, then turn the heat down to medium-low to simmer.
Step 3: Cook the soup for 15 more minutes until the chicken is done.
Step 4: Remove the chicken and shred it with two forks or these meat shredders. The meat shredders make this so much easier.
If you want to try a delicious Instant Pot soup, give this Chicken Vegetable Soup recipe a try.
Step 5: Garnish your gluten free taco soup with sour cream, cheddar cheese, jalapeño slices, and fresh cilantro. Enjoy it as lunch or dinner. This soup also packs really well into a Thermos in a lunch box.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
This chicken taco soup recipe is naturally dairy-free. For toppings, substitute a dairy-free sour cream or omit it entirely. This soup is also naturally gluten-free.
You will find this soup is easy to make paleo by omitting the beans and dairy toppings. I recommend adding more vegetables, even sweet potato to help thicken the soup slightly.
You can easily make this recipe in your slow cooker. Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6 hours. Shred the chicken as described in this recipe when the soup is ready.
This is my favorite product! You can freeze leftover soup, pasta sauce, chili, stews, and even smoothies in single-serving portions!
How to Store Taco Soup:
Store this taco soup in an airtight container. It will keep fresh for up to 4 days. You can also freeze this shredded chicken taco soup for up to 4 months in the freezer. I love using the Souper Cubes (shown above) to freeze this soup in single-serving portions.
Here are more gluten free recipes for meal prep.
More Gluten Free Soup Recipes:
- Kids love this Country Hamburger Vegetable Soup! It is a great way for them to eat veggies.
- This easy Ground Pork Chili-Mac Soup is hearty and full of flavor.
- Easily the most popular recipe on the blog, my Grandma's Homemade Chicken Soup is the ultimate cold & flu buster.
Shredded Chicken Taco Soup
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
- 2 large organic chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic * see note
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup black beans or any beans
- 2-3 zuchinni chopped (2 if they are large)
- 3-4 carrots diced
- 1 small jalapeno chopped, seeds removed (Be careful, the oils can stay on your fingers for awhile)
- 32 ounces chicken broth low sodium
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt possibly more depending on your taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- green onions corn tortillas, and grated cheese to top
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add chopped vegetables.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add two raw whole chicken breasts, broth, spices, and water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts.
- Using two forks, shred chicken breasts and then return to the pot.
- Allow to cook 5 minutes.
- Serve with crushed corn tortillas, cheese, and green onions on top.
- To make this recipe paleo, omit the beans, cheese, and sour cream garnish.
- I used boneless chicken breasts, but you can also use thighs.
- This recipe is a great recipe for avoiding food waste. Use the vegetables you have on-hand!
- In the spring, look for green garlic. It adds wonderful flavor. Since it has such a short growing season, use regular garlic cloves if you can't find green garlic.
- This gluten free taco soup will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
This post was updated from an older December 2019 post with more recipe details.
Simplifying the art of baking and cooking gluten-free recipes.