This quick and easy Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup is full of hearty shredded chicken and your favorite fresh or frozen vegetables. It makes a great family meal or lunch packed into a thermos! Make it in just 30 minutes!
This homemade chicken vegetable soup recipe is special. It is hearty enough for a meal, yet it is comforting too. I remember my grandmother telling me this is a great soup for using up vegetables that may go bad.
Why this soup is great:
A long time ago, you never wasted food. This chicken tomato vegetable soup recipe is perfect to prevent food waste. Open your refrigerator up. What vegetables will go bad soon? Use those in this recipe. The flavor of the soup will carry through with any vegetables you have on hand.
- You will find this chicken soup perfect for those cold days!
- This soup is also low-calorie, so there is no guilt if you enjoy that second bowl!
- Pack it in a thermos for a hot lunch!
- Freeze it so you always have this healthy chicken vegetable soup when you want it.
- It only takes 30 minutes to make!
Don't forget to check out all of my gluten free soup recipes on the blog...if you love chicken soup as we do, you want to try all of the variations!
What pressure cooker is best for soup?
I have used both the Instant Pot and the Corsori pressure cookers. Both are easy to use and have a ton of safety features in place, so don't let it intimidate you!
This pressure cooker chicken vegetable soup can be made easily in either a pressure cooker or an Instant Pot. Each has slightly different operating instructions so the most important thing is to read the directions of the pressure cooker brand you choose to use.
This simple homemade chicken tomato vegetable soup is naturally gluten free (YAY!), paleo, whole30, keto, and perfect for anyone with food allergies. It is comfort food in a bowl!
- Chicken - I recommend using chicken breasts, but you can use thighs as well.
- Diced tomatoes - Use unsalted, unseasoned diced tomatoes.
- Chicken broth - You can use low sodium or regular chicken broth in this recipe.
- Vegetables - Use vegetables you have on hand, fresh or frozen.
- Cooking oil - Do not use olive oil. You want to use an oil that tolerates high heat. My favorites are avocado or canola oil.
Recipe step by step instructions:
Step 1: Add olive oil to the Instant Pot and sauté the onions and garlic on the Sauté setting for 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add the vegetables, diced tomatoes, raw chicken breasts, seasonings, and chicken broth to the Instant Pot. I used fresh peas, carrots, and broccoli.
Step 3: Close and lock the Instant Pot. Press the soup setting button. Allow the soup to cook. You can either let it depressurize slowly, or do a quick release.
Step 4: Carefully open the Instant Pot. Use tongs to remove the cooked chicken breasts.
How to shred chicken breasts:
I use two forks to shred chicken. The photo above is from a different recipe, but it shows you how to pull apart the chicken. If you prefer, these Meat Claws can shred your chicken even faster with less work. I am planning to get a pair soon to try them out.
Another option for shredding chicken is to place the cooked breasts into your stand mixer. Use the paddle attachment on low speed, and it will shred it up rather quickly.
Step 5: Put the meat back into the soup and stir. You can serve this Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup with rice or noodles. (*I do not recommend cooking the rice or noodles with the soup as it will affect the soup's flavor and texture.)
I love to call this compost soup. I look for the vegetables that may spoil soon that are in my refrigerator. More fun vegetables to use include:
- Green beans
- Potatoes (sweet and white varieties)
- Any other delicious veggies you have on-hand!
I also created a short chicken vegetable soup web story to watch for more tips.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can easily omit the chicken in this recipe. Just add extra veggies so you don't have a ton of broth with no veggies.
Yes! You can definitely make this soup on the stove. I brown the onions and vegetables for 5 minutes, then literally dump the raw chicken breasts and broth/water/seasonings into the pot.
Cover and bring to boil. Once the soup is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken and shred it. Add it back to the soup and serve hot.
Yes, you can make chicken and vegetable soup in the slow cooker. Saute garlic and onion in olive oil for approximately five minutes or until the onions are fragrant and translucent. Then add them and the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Right before serving, shred chicken. It is easiest if you can remove the chicken from the slow cooker to shred it, but do whatever works most comfortably for you.
You can easily use frozen chicken breasts in this soup recipe. Be sure to check the chicken at the end of the cooking cycle before shredding to ensure they have an internal temperature of 165º F.
Yes! You can easily use frozen vegetables in this soup recipe.
This Instant Pot chicken and vegetable soup will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an air-tight container.
Yes, you can freeze shredded chicken vegetable soup. The soup will last approximately 6-8 months in the freezer without affecting the taste. There are a couple of options on how to store the vegetable soup in the freezer.
I like to use freezer bags and fill them ⅔ full of the soup. Make sure to get all the air out of the bag. Lay the bag flat in the freezer until it is frozen. Then you can stand the freezer bag up to make more room in the freezer.
Another option is to use an air-tight plastic or glass container. I think it freezes easier in a glass container over plastic because you can heat it right in that bowl. But, choose the method you prefer.
To thaw the soup, set it on the counter or in the refrigerator until it is softened. Then you can heat it back up in a pot on the stove or in the microwave.
More gluten free soup recipes to try:
If you love chicken as much as we do, don't forget to check out all of my Gluten Free Chicken recipes!
Instant Pot Vegetable Soup with Shredded Chicken
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts * see note
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup onion diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- ½ cup peas
- 1 cup broccoli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (or 2 teaspoons dried basil)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add olive oil, garlic, and onion to the Instant Pot. Cook on sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add raw chicken, vegetables, diced tomatoes, seasonings, broth, and water.
- Close and lock the Instant Pot and cook on the soup setting.
- When the Instant Pot signals it is finished cooking, allow the Instant Pot to depressurize.
- Open the Instant Pot carefully and remove the chicken breasts.
- Shred the chicken and add it back to the soup.
- Serve hot, garnish with fresh cilantro or basil.
- Feel free to use any vegetables you have on-hand for this recipe.
- You can use different cuts of chicken if you like, you just won't have the shredded chicken.
- add the oil and onion to the soup pot. Cook for 2 minutes and add the rest of the vegetables.
- Cook the vegetables for 5 minutes. Add the chicken (whole breasts), broth, and the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 15 minutes and reduce the temperature to low.
- Simmer an additional 15-20 minutes
- Remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board and shred the meat. Add it back to the soup.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free strawberry desserts e-cookbook!)