There is nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter evening. This chili mac ground pork soup is one of my son’s favorites.
Pour some of this comforting hot soup in a bowl and garnish with a dollop of sour cream, cheese, and fresh cilantro.
I have to put an unsolicited plug in for an organic meat CSA that we receive each month from Prather Ranch. (**I am not being compensated, nor have I received any free product. Cooking with this healthy fresh meat is so convenient.)
For several months we have paid for a subscription service and we get a box of meat each month. We get fun things like ground pork and beef, pork scallopini, many different cuts of steaks, roasts, free-range chicken, and even ribs.
Ground pork is as easy to use in recipes as ground beef, or ground turkey. It has a hearty flavor, but it is a little higher in fat than other ground meats. Ground pork is a tender meat and I thought it would add a lot of extra flavor to this soup.
(I have created a few minced pork recipes besides this ground pork chili. If you are looking for more ground pork recipes, try these delicious Ground Pork Asian Lettuce Wraps or these Ground Pork Mini Meatballs.)
This ground pork chili recipe satisfies my son, who is in a constant state of growth…and yes, he is now 5’8 at only 13 years old! We are sharing one of his favorite soups, Ground Pork Chili Mac Soup. My son loves soup recipes that have a little spice, so this is a soup I make in bulk.
This ground pork is perfect to use in this macaroni soup.
How to cook gluten free macaroni and other kinds of pasta:
Note, when using gluten-free macaroni for this soup recipe, there are some tips to make sure your pasta stays al-dente and doesn’t turn to mush.
- Cook the pasta according to directions.
- Drain the pasta immediately into a colander. When pasta sits in a colander, it continues to cook!
- Dump the pasta in a bowl of ice water. This halts the cooking process so that your pasta stays firm.
Here is a short video of how I made this soup. I put it on YouTube so the file size wouldn’t slow down this page. It is my very first video and I still have a lot to learn :-).
Go here to see all of the delicious gluten-free soup recipes on my blog 🙂
How to make homemade chili mac ground pork soup
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups cooked gluten free elbow pasta
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- sour cream, cilantro and cheese for garnish.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Brown ground pork.
- Add onion, carrot, zucchini and garlic.
- Cook until onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add water, tomatoes and sauce, beans, broth, spices.
- Stir then cover the pot.
- Reduce heat to medium low and bring to a boil.
- Add cooked pasta towards the end.
- Reduce heat to a simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, cheddar cheese and cilantro.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 279 Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 40mg Sodium: 668mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 4g Protein: 15g
These light and fluffy gluten free cheddar herb muffins will taste amazing with this soup!
Want a dessert to finish off the meal? Give this Fool Proof Gluten Free Apple Cake a try.
More Yummy Gluten Free Recipes To Try!