When it’s dinner time, and gluten free chicken fried steak is on the menu, everyone gets excited. There is no better comfort food than chicken fried steak. Plus, this recipe is gluten free, super easy to make, and brings a smile to everyone’s faces!
The crispy fried crust on the outside, tender, juicy beef on the inside. Set it on top of a pile of mashed potatoes, cover it in gravy, and you will be in utter food heaven. It’s that delicious! If you love comfort foods, you need to try this AMAZING gluten free fried chicken recipe too!
We discovered chicken fried steak back when we lived in Austin. It is the purest form of comfort food. When we went gluten free, I made it my mission to create a gluten free version!
My gluten free chicken fried steak recipe is as close to the real thing as I can get. I’m not just saying it because I am the one who came up with the recipe, it’s just really good!
I’m pretty sure chicken fried steak has been a family favorite for generations. We try to eat a lot of healthy food at the Fearless Dining household, but we also love to enjoy some comfort food from time to time.
This gluten free chicken fried steak fits the bill! And if you are looking for the most amazing fried chicken, try my gluten free fried chicken recipe!
Make it complete with my homemade gluten free gravy and mashed potatoes recipes!
For this gluten free chicken fried steak recipe, it is traditionally served with gravy and mashed potatoes. When frying this steak, the pan drippings are super greasy so you will want to make this gluten free gravy recipe.
For mashed potatoes, these Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes are out of this world good!!
If you’re gluten free or someone in your family is, I know how daunting it can be to get it all figured out. I promise after you have learned all the tricks and tips, you will be able to cook amazing good and be confident.
Take a look at Gluten Free Pantry Essentials And Equipment Recommendations as well as my Gluten Free Costco Shopping Guide. They both will give you lots of guidance and tips on how to eat gluten free without breaking the bank.
Are you ready to make this delicious gluten free dinner recipe?
What is cubed steak?
Cubed steak has a funny texture. The meat is pounded flat and if you look at it, you can see how a tenderizer machine has cut up the surface. This helps keep the meat tender for cooking.
Add your gluten free flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper to a bowl and whisk to blend.
Dip your cubed steak into the milk.
Take the cube steak out of the milk and dip into the flour mixture. Make sure to coat all sides! Now for my best tip, you are going to double coat the meat. This makes it turn out extra crispy!
Take your coated cube steak out of the flour, dip in the milk again, then re-coat with the flour. This double coating ensures the perfect chicken fried steak!
Heat oil in a 12″ cast-iron skillet.
What is the best oil for frying foods?
The best oils for frying are high heat tolerance oils like avocado oil, canola, and coconut. (I love coconut oil but it is best for frying donuts and sweet things.)
Fry the steak for about 4-5 minutes on each side. Exact cooking time depends on how thick your cube steak slices are. You will know to flip it when the side cooking in oil is all crispy.
Remove the steaks from the oil onto a paper towel-lined plate. Serve hot with mashed potatoes and gravy.
Why do they call it chicken fried steak?
The name chicken fried steak basically means that it is fried in the same fashion as the chicken is. It has a coating that gets crispy when it’s fried, just like chicken.
If you’ve never tried a chicken fried steak, I would say this is the time to do it. Once you try it, you’ll be in love.
What’s the difference between chicken fried steak and country fried steak?
The main difference between a chicken fried steak and a country-fried steak is the gravy. A traditional country fried steak is topped with brown gravy as compared to a chicken fried steak that has a white or creamy based gravy. In my opinion, they both taste great!
How do you store chicken fried steak?
It’s best to keep the gluten free chicken fried steak in a sealed container. You don’t want air getting to it, so make sure it’s airtight. Then place it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Can you freeze this recipe?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze gluten free chicken fried steak. It makes lovely leftovers, so it’s excellent for meal planning. First, wrap the steak in plastic wrap then place it in a freezer-safe bag or container. Freeze for up to 1 month.
How do you reheat chicken fried steak?
The best way to reheat chicken fried steak is to warm it in the oven. Heat it at 350 degrees for around 15 minutes. It should keep the crust nice and crispy instead of soggy.
If you’re in a hurry, you can always microwave it for a couple of minutes until it’s hot. (Just note if you do microwave it, the breading will be soggy.)
If you love this gluten free chicken fried steak, you should see some of my other gluten free dinner recipes.
- This baked Gluten Free Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken has fewer calories than fried chicken
- You won’t believe what you can do with a waffle maker! Check out this Crispy Gluten Free Eggplant Parmesan recipe
- This German Schnitzel With Potato Salad is wonderful with most meals.
- 1 pound cube steaks (usually this is 4 slices)
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- Add the flour and spices to a bowl and whisk to blend. (Make sure you use a bowl wide enough for dipping the meat in!)
- In another bowl, add the milk.
- Dip the cube steaks in the milk, then in the flour. Coat both sides.
- Now you want to double dip so that you get a nice crispy coating. Dip the milky flour-coated cube steak back into the milk, then the flour mixture.
- Place the meat on a plate and heat the oil in a skillet.
- You want the oil to be two inches deep in your skillet.
- When the oil is hot, add the cube steak.
- Cook until the side in oil looks golden and flip it over to cook the other side. This should take anywhere from 3-5 minutes per side depending on how thick your cube steak is cut.
- Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate. This will help absorb extra oil.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy.
Use caution frying because the hot oil can spatter. I cook my fried foods outside on a burner that is attached to our grill.
There are affiliate links in my posts. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- King Arthur Flour, Measure for Measure Flour, Gluten Free, 3 Pound
- Cave Tools Grill Tongs - 20% Thicker Stainless Steel Won't Bend - Dishwasher Safe 17" Long Handle Protects from BBQ Heat - Locking Bracket for Easy Storage - Cooking in Kitchen or on Weber Barbecue
- Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 556Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 38gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 406mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 22g