A gluten free waffle cone makes the perfect base for scoops of your favorite ice cream, frozen yogurt, or gelato. With this easy DIY gluten free waffle cones recipe, you can make homemade waffle cones in a snap!
When gluten free frozen waffles hit the market, my kids took matters into their own hands....literally :-). My son is credited for this brilliantly easy way to make waffle cones.
Today, you can buy fancy gluten free cones at many grocery stores, but my kids still prefer to make their own gluten free ice cream cones. And why not...it is so fun to smoosh waffles flat!
When we were first learning how to eat gluten free, there were NO gluten free ice cream cones available in the stores. My kids always had to eat their ice cream in a bowl, suffering the trauma of not getting a cone.
Making gluten free waffle cones is fun, too! Fill it with one of these creamy homemade no-churn ice cream recipes! Well, where there is desperation, there is creativity.
Step by step directions:
1. Use your palm to flatten a defrosted gluten free waffle. The flatter the better!
2. Pick up one end of the waffle and prepare to roll.
3. See how thin my son/assistant got his waffle?
4. Proceed to roll the bottom at an angle to form a cone shape.
5. Keep rolling the waffle. Keep the bottom very tight in that cone shape.
6. This is what the cone will look like when rolled.
7. Pinch the bottom closed so ice cream won't drip out when it melts.
8. Put a foil ball into the waffle.
9. Bake at 350º F for 10 minutes until crispy.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
There are quite a few great gluten free frozen waffles that you can buy in stores. We love Van's gluten free waffles, Kashi gluten free waffles (really check the label to make sure the ones you grab are gluten free!), Trader Joe's (wheatless), and now Eggo brand has a gluten free version of their waffles.
These cones are best used the same day or they lose their crispiness.
You can freeze these cones then bake them to re-crisp them.
Delicious ice cream recipes to make:
How to Make a Gluten Free Waffle Cone
- 4 gluten free waffles
- 1 strong hand
- 1 foil roll
- Defrost gluten free waffles in the microwave.
- With your hand, press down on the waffle to flatten.
- Roll into a cone shape.
- Pinch the bottom closed.
- Put a foil ball into the open cone side.
- Bake at 350º F for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool and fill with ice cream.
- You can make these with any brand of frozen gluten free waffles.
- These waffle cones are best used right away.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)
I have a metal tortilla press. I think it will work beautifully.
I have been wanting a waffle cone for so long. You have a smart kid ?. Too bad I can’t post a picture of the tortilla press. Blessings!
Wow, what a great idea!!! Thanks for letting me know, love the tortilla press idea.
Yet so effective!!!
Thank you for sharing.
My Dad is GF so this is perfect.
I am so glad Claire...my son was determined to figure out a way to make a gluten free cone 🙂
Necessity is the mother of invention, right? And having a waffle cone is a definite necessity in my book!
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting
What a creative solution! I'll have to share this one with my friend.
Thank you so much Julianne.