If you love cheese with a hint of spice, this cheesy fire roasted hatch chile grits with a fried egg will make you hungry.
Today, I am going to make cheesy grits for breakfast. I am loving this new fresh mozzarella I found by Stella Cheeses. Fresh cheese has a richer flavor…and it melts beautifully in this recipe. If you haven’t tried fresh mozzarella, you are in for a treat.
I have breakfast on my mind today.
Most mornings are so rushed that we don’t have time for a delicious hearty breakfast. Now that it is summer, mornings are more relaxed. We have time to get back to basics and enjoy a meal together (when the kids actually get up before 10:00 in the morning!)
Fire Roasting Hatch Chiles
I am on the tail end of using up the hatch chiles I fire roasted a few months ago. I fire roasted them in bulk and then froze the extras. I love their peppery flavor. They are spicy, but not too spicy.
So back to breakfast.
I decided to add the hatch chiles and fresh mozzarella to the grits I was cooking. I love the flavor of corn and hatch chiles together, and I knew they would work well with the egg. (My kids balked at the jalapenos, so add at your own risk!)
Break the yolk and that yummy runny egg flavor meshes beautifully with the creamy grits.
How to make cheese polenta:
Cook the grits according to the package. When they are almost ready, add milk, hatch chiles, and diced fresh mozzarella cheese. Cook on low for 10 minutes until the milk is cooked in and the mozzarella cheese is melted throughout.
Fry your eggs sunny side up so the yolk can be broken over the cooked grits. Put the egg on top of the cooked grits and garnish with fresh chives and jalapeno.
More Delicious Gluten Free Breakfast Recipes to Try:
- 1 package fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fire roasted hatch chiles
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- fresh chives
- salt/pepper to taste
- In a pot, cook the grits according to package instructions. (I used 1 cup grits to 3 cups water with 1/2 teaspoon salt.)
- When the grits are almost done, add milk, chiles and cheese.
- Cook an additional 10 minutes until the cheese is melted throughout the grits.
- In a frying pan, add oil and allow the pan to heat up.
- Cook 4 fried eggs, sunny side up.
- Use salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread grits on a plate and top with an egg.
- Sprinkle chives on top.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: g
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 125 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 168mg Sodium: 115mg Carbohydrates: 3g Sugar: 2g Protein: 7g
Quick and Easy Breakfast Recipes