If you are looking for a kid-friendly gluten free vegetable side dish, these pan-fried sweet potatoes with leeks and honey are so good! This savory-sweet dish goes with so many entrees.
Today is all about simplicity.
Do you ever need an easy recipe that is simple to make? Our family loves sweet potatoes. No matter how picky my kids are, this is the one vegetable they will always eat.
Pan-fried sweet potato rounds are easy to make, and because they are sliced thinly, they cook really quickly, too.
Why This Recipe is Great:
- There are no long ingredient lists, complicated steps, or hard-to-find ingredients. Just an easy sweet potato side dish recipe that is perfect all year round.
- This pan-cooked sweet potato dish is paleo, vegan, and totally kid-friendly.
- All you need is four simple ingredients, yet these four ingredients yield a wonderful flavor. The honey caramelizes to create a glaze on the sweet potatoes.
- This side dish is a tasty accompaniment to any dish, including spicy foods. It is really easy to cook sweet potatoes on the stove. I use a cast-iron skillet because it gets hot and crisps the sweet potatoes.
Dinner is always best with two or more sides, so here are some additional gluten free side dishes to choose from :-).
- Substitute sweet yellow onions for the leeks.
- Substitute pure maple syrup for the honey.
- Add in a teaspoon of ground cinnamon for more flavor.
This is a great vegetable slicer. I love the handle so that you don't cut your fingers!
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
Step 1: Slice your sweet potatoes thinly or in thicker slices.
Step 2: Slice your leeks thinly. They will caramelize as they cook, adding a delicious flavor to your sweet potatoes.
Step 3: Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add your leeks or onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes until they are softened.
Use coconut oil or another high-heat oil. Do not use olive oil in the pan. Olive oil is not made for high heat and can add an off taste if used in this recipe.
Step 4: Add the sweet potatoes and continue to cook them until they are almost softened. Drizzle on the honey and cook until they are soft enough to pierce with a fork.
It takes about 15-20 minutes to pan-fry sweet potatoes, depending on how crispy you like them.
Store these sweet potatoes in an airtight container, and they will keep fresh for up to 4 days.
It is one of my favorite ways to cook sweet potato rounds.
Of course…yams have a very similar flavor profile to sweet potatoes.
You can easily air fry these sweet potatoes. Place into an air fryer basket. Cook at 375º F for 10 minutes. You will want to drizzle the honey on when they are cooked because the baked honey may be hard to clean from the basket.
Serve one of these delicious gluten free recipes with these pan-fried sweet potatoes with honey for a great family dinner.
- Gluten Free Fried Chicken – This is the best gluten free fried chicken.
- Herb Roasted Chicken – If you love the flavor that roasts in, this roasted chicken is juicy and tender.
- Grilled NY Strip Steak – This grilled steak is perfect for making at a cookout.
- Air Fryer Honey Garlic Salmon – Use your air fryer to make this salmon quickly.
Sweet Potato and Leeks with Honey
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
- 4 sweet potatoes sliced
- 2 leeks sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add sweet potatoes and leeks.
- Cook until done. (The sweet potatoes will be soft if you stick a fork in it.)
- Turn heat to low.
- Drizzle with honey.
- Toss to coat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn’t test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
This post was updated from an old July 2104 post with better recipe details.
Your go-to haven for gluten-free living, where I share hundreds of delicious, family-friendly recipes, helpful gluten-free resources, and allergen-friendly options for everyone!