If you are gluten free and love pancakes for breakfast, it is important to know which brands of pancake syrup are gluten free. I include a list of brands of gluten free pancake syrup to try and even some delicious flavored syrup recipes!
Pancakes are one of our favorite foods and knowing what syrups are gluten free is key to avoiding stomach issues. Although we mostly make pancakes as our weekend family tradition, all of the syrup information and recipes are equally delicious on gluten free waffles and gluten free French toast too!
If you are a big breakfast fanatic, I have a lot of easy gluten free breakfast recipes to try!
Is Pancake Syrup Gluten Free?
The short answer is maybe. 100% pure maple syrup is almost always gluten free because nothing is added besides maple. I always recommend reading labels to look for hidden gluten, but I have never seen flour added to pure maple syrup.
If you are new to gluten free, this is a great guide to gluten free living with lots of tips to help you learn how to keep safe, identify safe products, and learn where gluten is hidden. It also includes a ton of other information as well as easy beginner-level gluten-free recipes.
Gluten Free Pure Maple Syrup Brands:
Natural maple syrup comes in different grades of maple syrup. The most common grade is A and B. Grade A is a great choice for your pancakes and it is the most commonly sold. Grade B syrup tends to be harvested later in the season and is darker and has more minerals. Here are some delicious syrups to try:
- Trader Joe's 100% Maple Syrup
- Kirkland 100% Maple Syrup
- 365 100% Maple Syrup
- Pure Canadian Maple Syrup brands are gluten free
- ChocZero Maple Syrup
- Maple Grove Farms
- Vermont Maple Syrup
- Nob Hill brand 100% Maple Syrup (Raley's store so this applies to their other stores.)
- O Organics 100% Pure Maple Syrup
Gluten Free Imitation Syrup Brands:
Imitation, or artificial maple syrup, is made with a combination of ingredients including high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, natural flavorings, caramel color, malt syrup, and artificial colors.
It is critical to read labels and look at the manufacturer's websites to really ensure an imitation syrup is safe for you.
- Aunt Jemima
- Mrs. Butterworth
- Log Cabin Natural Table Syrup
More Pancake Topping Ideas:
- Peanut Butter
- This easy caramelized Bananas Flambe
Pure Maple Syrup vs Imitation Syrup:
I am a big proponent of using pure maple syrup over artificial syrup. It is natural and is very unlikely to contain hidden gluten ingredients like those listed above. I always opt for the low-risk option.
Does IHOP Have Gluten Free Syrup?
IHOP has some gluten free syrup options. You just need to ask your server. I know a lot of gluten free people have gluten sensitivity and are not celiac and many do eat the gluten free pancakes at IHOP. I just want to note IHOP's gluten free pancakes are not considered Celiac safe.
Delicious Gluten Free Pancakes Recipes:
With all of this talk about syrup, I would be remiss if I didn't share some of my incredible gluten free pancake recipes with you! I can't wait to hear which you liked best!
- Traditional Fluffy Gluten Free Pancakes - They are also dairy-free!
- Homemade Gluten Free Buckwheat Pear Pancakes - A family favorite that is tasty with any fruit.
- Easy Gluten Free Cornmeal Pancakes - Slightly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside!
- Simple Grain-Free Cassava Flour Pancakes - These paleo pancakes are refined sugar-free too!
- Healthy Gluten Free Oatmeal Pancakes - Full of ripe banana flavor.
- Here are 13 more over-the-top gluten free pancake recipes to try.
Easy Gluten Free Syrup Recipes:
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon desserts e-cookbook!)