These gluten free cornmeal scones are a delicious savory scone recipe. Dip these delicious scones into stews or soups, it is the perfect gluten free bread.
If you are a scones fanatic like we are, you will want to sink your teeth into all of my tasty gluten free scones recipes!
I found a beautiful delicata squash at my local farmer’s market yesterday. Delicata squash is a sweet delicious squash that is delicious to use in baking! Just check out this recipe for Delicata Squash Brownies!!
What is Delicata Squash?
Delicata squash is just starting to hit the markets. It is a long yellow oval-shaped winter squash with beautiful dark green stripes and an orange flesh. They are the yellow squash in the photo above :-).
I was surprised to read that this variety of squash is as high in beta-carotene as other winter squashes. It is, however, a great source of fiber and potassium, making it a healthy addition to your cooking. Delicata squash has such a mild, sweet flavor, and I suspected this vegetable would be incredible in a savory gluten free scone.
If you have been following my blog for a while, you know I love to hide vegetables in my baking, like in this sweet Gluten Free Butternut Squash Breakfast Bread. Up until recently, my kids have been none the wiser to this. As they get older, they seem to have special vegetable detection powers…much to my dismay.
For this recipe, I decided to use organic cornmeal as the main flour in this gluten free cornmeal scone recipe. I worry about GMOs with corn so I make sure cornmeal is organic…It is worth it because the sweetness from the cornmeal blends beautifully with the delicata squash.
How to Cook Delicata Squash:
- Roast delicata squash with some olive oil in the oven.
- Sauté delicata squash in a pan with olive oil.
- If you are in a hurry, you can also cook delicata squash in a microwave by cutting the squash in half. Remove the seeds and place face down on a microwave-safe dish. Add a little water and microwave for 5-8 minutes.
Delicata squash cooks up very easily in just a little bit of olive oil. Once they are tender, they can be used in lots of different recipes. I love to eat sauteed delicata squash!
Can you roast the delicata squash in the oven?
You can definitely cook the delicata squash in the oven. Roast it at 350F degrees for 30 minutes if sliced, 45 minutes if you just cut the squash in half lengthwise to roast.
The delicata squash mixes well into this gluten free scone dough.
Put a piece of parchment paper onto a baking sheet and press the dough into a round shape. Cut the raw dough into wedges and bake. It is so easy!
More Delicious Gluten Free Scones Recipes:
- Chestnut Flour Bacon Apple Scones
- Gluten Free Strawberry Scones
- My Favorite Date and Pecan Scones
- Gluten Free Eggnog Chocolate Chip Scones
How to make cornmeal scones:
- 1 cup delicata squash, diced
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free corn flour
- 3/4 cup Authentic Foods Multi Blend Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a frying pan, heat up olive oil on medium heat.
- Cook cubed delicata squash until tender.
- Allow squash to cool.
- In a large bowl add cornmeal and gluten free flour. Whisk in all other dry ingredients to blend.
- Add cold butter and use a pastry blender to cut butter into the dough.
- Add squash and wet ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Put a piece of parchment paper down on a baking sheet.
- Put dough onto the sheet and spread to a circle shape (see photo above.)
- Make 8 cuts, similar to a pizza. If dough sticks to the knife, wipe off before making the next cut.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until done.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 207 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 14mg Sodium: 399mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 1g Protein: 5g
More Delicious Gluten Free Scone Recipes to Try