These gluten free delicata squash cornmeal scones are a delicious savory scone recipe
Dip into stews or soups, it is the perfect gluten free bread.
I found a beautiful delicata squash at my local farmer’s market yesterday. Delicata squash is a sweet delicious squash that is delicious to use in baking! Just check out this recipe for Delicata Squash Brownies!!
Delicata squash are just starting to hit the markets. It is a winter squash with beautiful dark green stripes and an orange flesh. I was surprised to read that this variety of squash
I was surprised to read that this variety of squash is as high in beta-carotene as other winter squashes. It is, however, a great source of fiber and potassium, making it a healthy addition to your cooking.
Delicata squash has such a mild, sweet flavor, and I suspected this vegetable would be incredible in a savory gluten free scone.
If you have been following my blog for a while, you know I love to hide vegetables in my baking. Up until recently, my kids have been none the wiser to this. As they get older, they seem to have special vegetable detection powers…much to my dismay.
For this recipe, I decided to use organic cornmeal as the main flour in this gluten free cornmeal scone recipe. I worry about GMOs with corn so I make sure cornmeal is organic…It is worth it because the sweetness from the cornmeal blends beautifully with the delicata squash.
There are many ways to make cooking delicata squash easy
- Roast delicata squash with some olive oil in the oven.
- Sauté delicata squash in a pan with olive oil.
- If you are in a hurry, you can also cook delicata squash in a microwave by cutting the squash in half. Remove the seeds and place face down on a microwave-safe dish. Add a little water and microwave for 5-8 minutes.
Delicata squash cook up very easily in just a little bit of olive oil. Once they are tender, they can be used in lots of different recipes. I love to eat sauteed delicata squash!
The delicata squash mixes well into the gluten free scone dough.
Put a piece of parchment paper onto a baking sheet and press the dough into a round shape. Cut the raw dough into wedges and bake.
How to make cornmeal scones:
- 1 cup delicata squash, diced
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free corn flour
- 3/4 cup Authentic Foods Multi Blend Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a frying pan, heat up olive oil on medium heat.
- Cook cubed delicata squash until tender.
- Allow squash to cool.
- In a large bowl add cornmeal and gluten free flour. Whisk in all other dry ingredients to blend.
- Add cold butter and use a pastry blender to cut butter into the dough.
- Add squash and wet ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Put a piece of parchment paper down on a baking sheet.
- Put dough onto the sheet and spread to a circle shape (see photo above.)
- Make 8 cuts, similar to a pizza. If dough sticks to the knife, wipe off before making the next cut.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until done.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 186 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 14mg Sodium: 274mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 1g Protein: 5g
More Delicious Gluten Free Scone Recipes to Try