This easy gluten free fried chicken recipe is seriously the best ever. One bite of this crispy, juicy gluten free fried chicken and you will be hooked!
Learning how to eat gluten free is easy AND delicious when you have fried chicken recipes like this one.
Delicious Gluten Free Fried Chicken!
When the owner, Ari, of Proposition Chicken in San Francisco, told me he was going to share his exclusive gluten free fried chicken recipe with us, I thought about how incredible this was. How often do you feel safe eating fried chicken at a restaurant? It is one of those things I truly miss.
What foods do you miss most after going gluten free?
I miss those crusty loaves of bread and comfort foods like fried chicken.”
Comfort foods like these rarely happen in the gluten free realm, or if they do, they are rarely any good. (Looking at this photo of gluten free fried chicken is really making me hungry!) This recipe for fried chicken will bring back those memories of real crispy fried chicken. The kind your grandma made!
Is there Gluten in Fried Chicken?
Unfortunately, traditional fried chicken does contain gluten. Not only do they coat the chicken in flour, but the fryers in many restaurants become contaminated because they also fry other gluten foods in the fryer.
Well, now our family can get its gluten free fried chicken fix at Proposition Chicken. As I mentioned in my interview with Proposition Chicken, they have a dedicated gluten free fryer to prevent cross-contamination. (They take a lot of other steps to keep things safe that you can read about in the interview link above.)
What types of gluten free flour can you use to make this fried chicken?
The best gluten free flours to use for frying gluten free fried chicken, and other savory dishes like Gluten Free Eggplant Parmesan are:
- Tapioca Flour (the star of this easy chicken recipe)
- Cassava Flour
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour Blend (in the red label bag)
- Gluten Free Bisquick
Any of these gluten free flours make great fried chicken breading.
Do You Need A Fryer to Make Fried Chicken?
The short answer is no, you do not need a fryer to make fried chicken. You can use a cast iron skillet like I did. I have also heard from readers that this simple gluten free fried chicken recipe works in an air fryer!
How Long Do I Cook Fried Chicken In Oil?
The length of time to cook fried chicken depends on whether you cook it in a frying pan, air fryer, or deep frying. You want to make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is 165F degrees when cooked.
- A deep fryer like this recipe calls for takes about 18 minutes.
- This fried chicken will take around 25 minutes to cook in an air fryer (I have yet to use an air fryer, but this is the time suggested by a reader.
- Cooking this fried chicken recipe in a skillet with an inch of oil will take about 25 minutes. You will need to turn the chicken often so all sides get crispy.
This super easy fried chicken recipe makes chicken moist and flavorful.
We hope you enjoy this recipe and can get to Proposition Chicken to try their chicken dishes out. The owner is cool and even better, this restaurant “gets” gluten free. I feel safe going here to eat their crispy fried chicken.
Please note you can also use this recipe to make gluten free chicken tenders and gluten free chicken nuggets!!”
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- Tapioca flour. This fries up to make the crispiest skin.
- Large cast iron skillet. My favorite skillet for frying.
Easy Fried Chicken Cooking Tip: Our outdoor Weber grill has a side burner attached. I use this to make my fried chicken. I hate when hot oil splatters all over my kitchen, and that hot oil smell permeates EVERYWHERE! Avoid all of this if you can and cook this outside.
How to make this easy gluten free fried chicken recipe:
- 8-10 pieces Chicken of your choice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- Put all ingredients (except chicken) into a container and whisk until fluffy.
- In a large dish, pour marinade over butchered chicken.
- Move chicken around to make sure it is all covered in marinade.
- Refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Drain marinaded chicken in a large strainer.
- Place chicken in the tapioca flour and move it around to cover the whole piece of chicken.
- Let rest 2-3 minutes on a baking pan.
- Gently heat oil in a Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
- Fry chicken until it has an internal temperature of 160 degrees, about 18 minutes depending on the piece of chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper.
There are affiliate links in my posts. This doesn't change the cost you pay for an item, it just means a tiny commission comes to Fearless Dining to help offset the costs of running this blog. Thank you for your support!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 300 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 101mg Sodium: 152mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 2g Protein: 27g
More Yummy Recipes to Try!