I am so excited to share this ooey, gooey melty cheese White Queso Dip recipe with you. I added beef chorizo to add some spice and zing! If you love cheese dips, this white queso is the ultimate for chip dipping! Even better, it is ready in just 15 minutes!
Grab some tortilla chips and get ready to satisfy that cheese craving!
Click for Table of Contents:
Thank you Cacique® for sponsoring this post. Visit your local grocery store to pick up your fave Cacique® product for a delicious dinner tonight!
Chorizo queso dip is by far one of our favorite appetizers to serve in the fall. Nothing makes getting together with friends better than serving up this appetizer. Do you have a favorite appetizer you love to serve?
I have made this white queso dip recipe for years...it never goes out of style, and our friends love it. It brings back memories from when we used to live in Austin (before everyone moved there!) There was a cute little restaurant called Chuy's. It had a very eclectic style, and they were known for their stuffed queso appetizer.
It has been years since I have gone back to Austin, but when we do get back, we ALWAYS stop by Chuy's. I loosely base my queso fundido recipe on my memory of their stuffed queso.
Why this recipe is so good:
Creamy thick melty cheese combined with chorizo, fresh tomatoes, and scallions make this dip crazy good. It is simple to make and takes about 15 minutes.
Grab a chip and dip it into this chorizo dip. Stir the chip around to blend the chorizo and tomatoes into the cheese, repeat. Scoop up some of the melty cheese, and eat. Repeat.
What is typically in a queso dip?
- A melting cheese, or combination of cheeses
- Jalapeños if you like a kick of spice
- Some include salsa, though I have not tried this.
The first thing I use to make queso is my favorite melting cheese, Cacique® Manchego. This cheese has a nutty earthy flavor that works beautifully with the deep spice of chorizo. Cacique® uses fresh milk that is free of rBST, so you can feel good serving it to your family and friends.
With Cacique®'s cheeses, chorizo, Mexican crema, and sour creams, you can create quick and easy Mexican recipes that make it easy to savor the tastes and flavors of Mexico. This simple queso is ready in under 15 minutes!
Are you ready to learn how easy it is to make this white queso cheese dip?
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Gather your ingredients. I have Cacique® Manchego and beef chorizo, and some fire-roasted green chiles too. Cacique cheeses and sausages are all gluten free!
Step 2: Slice up the cheese and add it to a saucepan. This cheese is soft and really easy to cut into cubes.
Step 3: Add the cheese, heavy cream, butter, and green chiles to a saucepan. Heat on low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper and stir this in.
Step 4: Add the Cacique® Beef Chorizo and scallions to a skillet. Cook for 10 minutes until the chorizo is cooked.
The chorizo gets creamy as it cooks.
Step 5: Pour the queso fundido into a bowl and spoon the cooked chorizo on top. Add chopped cherry tomatoes and scallions.
You can vary this recipe by adding cooked vegetables to the chorizo. You can also garnish with Cacique®'s delicious flavored sour creams like their Chipotle or Cilantro Lime flavors.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can use any cheese that melts smoothly. Cheddar cheese, queso fresco, and Oaxaca cheese are also good.
The best way to keep queso creamy is to keep it warm. It will harden as it cools.
The best way to thin the queso is with more liquid. Add a tiny bit at a time until the queso is your desired thickness.
This queso will keep up to 3 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
More delicious appetizers:
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Homemade Chorizo Queso
- 10 ounces manchego cheese * see note
- 3 tablespoons roasted green chiles
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 9 ounces beef chorizo
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Take a medium-sized saucepan and add cubed cheese, butter, cream, chiles, and salt. Cook on low heat until the cheese is melted.
- In a frying pan, add raw chorizo and half the scallions. Cook over medium heat until the chorizo is done.
- Pour the cheese into a bowl. Add the chorizo mixture in the middle of the melted cheese. Top with chopped tomatoes and the remaining scallions.
- You can stuff this white queso cheese dip with all sorts of delicious things. You can add grilled vegetables, chili, and even bacon.
- If you can't find manchego cheese, try cheddar, oaxaca, queso blanco, Monterey Jack, and Velveeta.
- This queso will keep up to 3 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
- To prevent your queso from thickening, keep it warm. The cheese will begin to harden as it cools.
- If you need to thin your queso dip, add a little bit of liquid and stir. Repeat until you have your desired consistency.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)