Serve up these cheese-filled gluten free stuffed mushrooms for a crowd-pleasing appetizer! Fresh mushrooms, cheese, and sausage combine to make a delicious bite-sized appetizer. You will love how easy this sausage stuffed mushroom recipe is to make!
If you love appetizers as much as I do, here are some of the best gluten free appetizer recipes on the blog!
Click for Table of Contents:
Are you ready for something new to try? It is holiday season and this easy stuffed mushroom recipe is perfect for New Years AND game day! My team isn't in the playoffs, but I couldn't be more excited to watch the game anyway!
You are going to love serving your friends these gluten free cheesy sausage stuffed mushrooms.
Cook the sausage patties. Shred them up as they cook. You can also use link style sausage and remove the casings.
Add in the sauteed leek, mushroom stems and jalapeno peppers. Cook for 5 minutes together.
Add cream cheese and gluten free breadcrumbs.
You will end up with this delicious cheesy sausage mixture. Stuff it into washed fresh mushroom caps.
Enjoy this easy gluten free stuffed mushrooms recipe while they are hot and all of the cheese is melty and gooey :-).
How long do you bake?
I baked these mushroom caps for 22 minutes, but it really depends on the size of mushroom caps you use. Smaller mushroom caps can take a lot less time to bake than larger mushroom caps.
Can you make these dairy-free?
You can definitely make this stuffed mushrooms recipe dairy-free. Substitute a dairy-free cream cheese by Daiya or Kite Hill, and also substitute the cheddar cheese for Daiya's cheddar substitute.
Do you wash mushroom caps before using them?
This can be tricky! You definitely want to wash your mushrooms, but you need to do it carefully. Mushroom caps expand with water so don't wash them until you are ready to use them. Wash quickly, then dry them off with a paper towel to remove moisture.
Can you freeze this appetizer?
You can freeze this stuffed mushrooms recipe, but you will want to freeze them before you bake them. Thaw and bake.
Things You Need To Make This Sausage Stuffed Mushroom Recipe:
- Cast iron skillet to cook up the sausage mixture.
- This handy food chopper can chop up those mushroom stems easily.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Cheesy Sausage Stuffed Mushroom
- 24 fresh mushrooms stems removed
- 3/4 pound raw sausage patties
- 1 leek sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Optional 1 tablespoon cilantro
- Wash mushrooms and remove stems. Place the caps in a baking dish. In a pan, add leeks, garlic, chopped mushroom stems, and olive oil. Saute for 5 minutes on medium heat. Remove from the pan.
- Add raw sausage to the pan and cook on medium heat until browned. Use a spoon to chop the sausage so it shreds into small pieces. Cook until browned. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour in the leek mixture, jalapenos, and cream cheese into the pan. Cook on low heat until the cream cheese is melted. Add shredded cheddar and allow to melt. (*Add cilantro if you like).
- Fill each mushroom cap with the mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes until mushrooms are cooked.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)