Serve up these cheese-filled gluten free stuffed mushrooms for a mouthwatering appetizer everyone will love! Fresh mushrooms, cheese, and sausage combine to make a delicious bite-sized appetizer. You will love how easy this sausage stuffed mushroom recipe is to make!
If you love appetizers as much as I do, here are some of the best gluten free appetizer recipes on the blog!
Are you ready for something new to try? It is the holiday season and this easy stuffed mushroom recipe makes the perfect small bites appetizer for game day or any celebration!
If you love stuffed mushrooms that are full of cheese, sausage, and flavor, you need to give this recipe a try. You can enjoy them in under 40 minutes, and they are easy to prep ahead! If you are looking for more appetizers, give this easy Baked Chicken Wings recipe a try!
Why these mushrooms are so good:
These mushroom caps are stuffed with all of the good stuff. Cheese, gluten free bread crumbs, sausage, and they are absolutely flavor-packed! They are great for any get together and you can make them ahead and freeze them until you are ready to bake them.
If you love serving mushrooms as an appetizer, you will want to try these crispy Air Fryer Mushrooms too!
- Mushrooms - you can use white button mushrooms or cremini. You want to grab the package where the caps look large. In a pinch you can use mini portobello mushrooms.
- Sausage - a lot of raw sausage brands are naturally gluten free, make sure to read the ingredients labels. You can use a precooked sausage but you will need to cut it up really fine.
- Cream cheese - you can use full fat or low-fat in this recipe.
- Leeks - you can substitute onion or scallions if you can't find leeks.
- Jalapeño - if you don't like spice, you can skip this ingredient.
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Wash your mushroom caps and remove the stems. Chop up the stems into small pieces.
Step 2: Cook the sausage patties on medium heat. Shred them up as they cook. You can also use link style sausage and remove the casings.
Step 3: Add in the sauteed leek, mushroom stems, and jalapeno peppers. Cook for 5 minutes together.
Step 4: Add cream cheese and the gluten free breadcrumbs. Cook on medium-low heat until the cheese melts
Step 5: You will end up with this delicious cheesy sausage mixture. Stuff it into washed fresh mushroom caps. Bake at 350º F for 15-20 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked.
Enjoy this easy gluten free stuffed mushrooms recipe while they are hot and all of the cheese is melty and gooey :-).
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
I baked these mushroom caps for 20-22 minutes, but it really depends on the size of mushroom caps you use. Smaller mushroom caps can take a lot less time to bake than larger mushroom caps.
You can definitely make this stuffed mushrooms recipe dairy-free. Substitute a dairy-free cream cheese by Daiya or Kite Hill, and also substitute the cheddar cheese for Daiya's cheddar substitute.
This can be tricky! You definitely want to wash your mushrooms, but you need to do it carefully. Mushroom caps expand with water so don't wash them until you are ready to use them. Wash quickly, then dry them off with a paper towel to remove moisture.
You can freeze this stuffed mushrooms recipe, but you will want to freeze them before you bake them. Thaw and bake.
More Easy Gluten Free Appetizers:
Gluten Free Cheesy Sausage Stuffed Mushroom
- 24 fresh mushrooms * see note
- ¾ pound raw sausage patties * see note
- 1 leek sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno
- 1 package cream cheese * see note
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar
- ¼ cup gluten free bread crumbs * see note
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Optional 1 tablespoon cilantro
- Wash mushrooms and remove stems. Place the caps in a baking dish. In a pan, add leeks, garlic, chopped mushroom stems, and olive oil. Saute for 5 minutes on medium heat. Remove from the pan.
- Add raw sausage to the pan and cook on medium heat until browned. Use a spoon to chop the sausage so it shreds into small pieces. Cook until browned. Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Pour in the leek mixture, jalapenos, and cream cheese into the pan. Cook on low heat until the cream cheese is melted. Add shredded cheddar and allow to melt. (*Add cilantro if you like).
- Fill each mushroom cap with the mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes until mushrooms are cooked. Bake time will depend on how large your mushroom caps are.
- Please lightly wash your mushrooms before using them.
- Chop up your stems into very small pieces.
- You can use white button mushrooms or cremini sized.
- Full fat or low-fat cream cheese is fine to use in this recipe. Both will be creamy.
- Make sure to read the ingredients in the raw sausage patties you purchase. Most should be gluten free but you should always double-check.
- You can use gluten free bread crumbs or panko. My easy homemade gluten free bread crumbs recipe is really easy to make.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon desserts e-cookbook!)