These super stuffed air fryer twice baked potatoes are one of the best things you will ever taste! They are a crowd-pleasing dish that everyone will rave about.
These twice baked potatoes are cheesy, loaded with flavorful grilled chicken, cheese, and bacon. They can be topped with sour cream and chives. I know you have to be getting hungry now!
Whenever we used to eat out more, we would always get excited about ordering cheesy twice baked potatoes. They are family-friendly and kid-approved! We love them because they are so full of flavor, and with the diced chicken, they can also make a satisfying meal!
Mr. Fearless Dining and I have been working on eating a little better at home, so I was determined to make a healthier version of homemade potato skins.
That is when the idea was born for these super stuffed potatoes! Cooking them in the air fryer is the perfect way to cook them too.
Don't forget to check out all of my easy Gluten Free Air Fryer recipes for more recipe ideas!
What you need to make this:
- Bacon - You can use raw bacon and cook it, or use pre-cooked bacon.
- Sour Cream - Use full-fat or low-fat. If you are dairy-free, use Kite Hill or another dairy-free sour cream.
- Cheddar Cheese - If you are dairy-free, I recommend VioLife or Daiya cheeses.
- Grilled Chicken - I use chicken breast because they are leaner but you can use any cut of chicken.
- Potatoes - Russet potatoes are the best for this recipe because of their silky texture.
Which air fryer and what size?
Are you ready to give this easy recipe a try? For this recipe, I cooked my potatoes in this air fryer.
I ended up with the small-sized 3.4 qt air fryer and it barely fit my potatoes. If you a larger family, I highly recommend you getting this larger 5.8 qt sized model air fryer. I have a lot of regrets not getting this larger one. This brand has been great so far and had no weird off-gassing that we noticed.
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Wash your potatoes. Pierce the potatoes with a fork to vent the hot air as they cook.
Step 2: Place them in the air fryer and set to cook at 400º F for 15 minutes. Open the air fryer after 15 minutes and flip the potatoes over. Pierce this side and cook an additional 15 minutes.
Step 3: Cut your baked potatoes in half and scoop out the potato middles into a bowl.
Step 4: Add the shredded cheese, salt, pepper, and heavy cream. Mash the potatoes until they are creamy.
Step 5: Add in the grilled chicken chunks and chopped bacon and mix well.
Step 6: Scoop the potato and meat mixture into each baked potato skin. Top with cheese.
Step 7: Bake in your air fryer at 350º F for 4-5 minutes to heat and melt the cheese. Eat them hot by themselves or enjoy them as a side dish.
I wanted to share a few other ideas to add to your potatoes to try as well.
- Sweet Potatoes - They taste amazing and would go perfectly with all the other ingredients.
- Ranch Dressing - Drizzle your favorite gluten free ranch dressing on the loaded potato skins. So yummy!
- Jalapenos - If you love a little spice, finely dice some jalapenos and toss on top before putting in the air fryer.
- Pepper Jack Cheese - Either pair the pepper jack with the cheddar or replace it completely. It adds a fantastic element of spice!
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
An air fryer is an awesome kitchen appliance that is becoming increasingly popular. If you have ever used a convection oven, it’s the same concept. Only it’s a much smaller scale.
The way it works is that the air fryer will heat up the air, and as it circulates it cooks the food. In many cases, it’s faster than a regular oven. And it’s much healthier than frying food in oil.
Eating potato skins is actually pretty good for you and gives your body lots of healthy nutrients. Potato skins are full of vitamins and fiber!
You can use several different kinds of potatoes to make twice baked potatoes. I prefer to use russet potatoes because of their large size, but you can also use red potatoes, white potatoes, and sweet potatoes.
Yes, you can make these twice baked potatoes ahead of time. Just follow the recipe as directed then allow them to cool. After they have cooled completely, tightly wrap them with plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container. Then when you are ready to serve, bake them until the cheese is melted, add sour cream and chives then devour!
You can easily make this vegan by using a meat replacement like vegan bacon. You will also need to use vegan butter or vegan sour cream instead of the heavy cream, and vegan cheese instead of regular cheese. Kite Hill makes a great vegan sour cream and VioLife makes the best vegan cheeses.
If you don't have an air fryer, no problem! Just bake your potatoes in an oven at 400 degrees for one hour, then scoop out the middles and stuff as directed in the recipe. Broil your stuffed potatoes to melt the cheese.
More potato recipes to try:
- Healthier Funeral Potatoes With Fire-Roasted Hatch Chiles
- Bacon Ricotta Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Easy Fresh Herb Gluten Free Potato Salad
- Mardi Gras Jambalaya Stuffed Baked Potatoes
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Loaded Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes
- 3 large potatoes * see note
- 2 grilled chicken breasts sliced
- 3-4 slices of cooked bacon
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chives
- Preheat your air fryer to 400º F.
- Wash your potatoes and pierce each several times with a fork. This will allow hot steam to vent out of the potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes for 15 minutes each side in the air fryer.
- When the potatoes are done, stab a fork inside. If the potato is soft in the middle, it is finished cooking.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise and scoop the potato middles out of each one into a large bowl.
- Add the heavy cream, cheese, chicken, and bacon to the potato middles and mix well.
- Scoop the potato mixture back into each potato skin and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350º F for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot as a meal or side dish.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)