This super stuffed air fryer twice-baked potato recipe is one of the best things you will ever taste! These twice-baked potatoes are cheesy and loaded with flavorful grilled chicken, cheese, and bacon. They can be topped with sour cream and chives. I know you have to be getting hungry now!
Whenever we used to eat out more, we always got excited about ordering cheesy twice-baked potatoes. They are family-friendly and kid-approved! We love them because they are so full of flavor, and with the diced chicken, they can also make a satisfying meal!
Mr. Fearless Dining and I have been working on eating a little better at home, so I was determined to make a healthier version of homemade potato skins.
That is when the idea was born for these super stuffed potatoes! Cooking them in the air fryer is also the perfect way to cook them.
Don't forget to check out all of my easy Gluten Free Air Fryer recipes for more recipe ideas!
Why This Recipe Is Great:
- With all of the added protein, these twice baked potatoes make a meal!
- The air fryer cooks a twice baked potato so much faster than an oven.
- They make great appetizers!
- Kids love them. With the cheese and bacon, you can add veggies too!
If you are trying to decide on what air fryer to get, I have a great list of the best air fryers for gluten free. I include a great pros and cons list for each model.
This recipe is gluten-free, egg-free, nut-free, and soy-free. I include dairy free options in the Ingredient Notes section.
- Bacon - You can use raw bacon and cook it, or use pre-cooked bacon.
- Sour Cream - Use full-fat or low-fat. If you are dairy-free, use Kite Hill or another dairy-free sour cream.
- Cheddar Cheese - I recommend VioLife or Daiya cheeses if you are dairy-free.
- Grilled Chicken - I use chicken breast because they are leaner, but you can use any chicken cut. To save time, you can buy frozen grilled chicken strips like Trader Joe's Just Chicken.
- Potatoes - Russet potatoes are the best for this recipe because of their silky texture.
- Heavy Cream - Do not use half and half. If you are dairy-free, So Delicious now makes a dairy-free heavy cream.
- Chives or Scallions
I wanted to share a few other ideas to add to your potatoes to try as well.
- Sweet Potatoes taste amazing and would go perfectly with all the other ingredients.
- Ranch Dressing - Drizzle your favorite gluten free ranch dressing on the loaded potato skins. So yummy!
- Jalapenos - If you love a little spice, finely dice some jalapenos and toss on top before putting them in the air fryer.
- Pepper Jack Cheese - Pair the pepper jack with the cheddar or replace it completely. It adds a fantastic element of spice!
I had a smaller 3.4-quart Corsori Air Fryer, but they no longer make the one I own. I am recommending the larger version of the air fryer I have. It frequently goes on sale so keep an eye out for sales!
- 1. The size is great for a family of 4.
- 2. Clean-up is really easy.
- 3. It cooks food really well.
- 1. The baskets are dishwasher safe, but tough to fit in our specific dishwasher model.
Which air fryer and what size?
Are you ready to give this easy recipe a try? For this recipe, I cooked my potatoes in this air fryer.
I ended up with the small-sized 3.4 qt air fryer, which barely fit my potatoes. If you are a larger family, I highly recommend you get this larger 5.8 qt sized model air fryer. I have a lot of regrets about not getting this larger one. This brand has been great so far and has had no weird off-gassing that we noticed.
How To Make Air Fryer Twice Baked Potato:
Step 1: Wash your potatoes. Pierce the potatoes with a fork to vent the hot air as they cook.
Step 2: Place them in the air fryer and set to cook at 400º F for 15 minutes. Open the air fryer after 15 minutes and flip the potatoes over. Pierce this side and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Step 3: Cut your cooked baked potatoes in half and scoop out the potato middles into a bowl.
Step 4: Add the shredded cheese, salt, pepper, and heavy cream. Mash the potatoes until they are creamy.
Step 5: Mix the grilled chicken chunks and chopped bacon into the mashed potato mixture.
Step 6: Scoop the potato and meat mixture into each baked potato skin.
Step 7: Top with cheese. Bake in your air fryer at 350º F for 4-5 minutes to heat and melt the cheese. Eat them hot by themselves or enjoy them as a side dish.
An air fryer is an awesome kitchen appliance that is becoming increasingly popular. If you have ever used a convection oven, it’s the same concept. Only it’s a much smaller scale.
It works because the air fryer will heat up the air, and as it circulates, it cooks the food. In many cases, it’s faster than a regular oven. And it’s much healthier than frying food in oil.
You can use several different kinds of potatoes to make twice-baked potatoes. I prefer russet potatoes because they are large, but you can also use red, white, and sweet potatoes.
Yes, you can make these air fryer loaded baked potatoes ahead of time. Just follow the recipe as directed, then allow them to cool. After they have cooled completely, tightly wrap them with plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container. Then, when you are ready to serve, bake them until the cheese is melted; add sour cream and chives, then devour!
You can easily make this vegan using a meat replacement like vegan bacon. You will also need to use vegan butter or sour cream instead of heavy cream and vegan cheese instead of regular cheese. Kite Hill makes a great vegan sour cream, and VioLife makes the best vegan cheeses.
If you don't have an air fryer, no problem! Just bake your potatoes in an oven at 400º F for one hour, then scoop out the middles and stuff as directed in the recipe. Broil your stuffed potatoes to melt the cheese.
You may also love this Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries recipe.
More Potato Recipes To Try:
- Healthier Funeral Potatoes With Fire-Roasted Hatch Chiles
- Bacon Ricotta Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Easy Fresh Herb Gluten Free Potato Salad
- Mardi Gras Jambalaya Stuffed Baked Potatoes
Loaded Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes
- 3 large potatoes * see note
- 2 grilled chicken breasts sliced
- 3-4 slices of cooked bacon
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chives
- Preheat your air fryer to 400º F.
- Wash your potatoes and pierce each several times with a fork. This will allow hot steam to vent out of the potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes for 15 minutes each side in the air fryer.
- When the potatoes are done, stab a fork inside. If the potato is soft in the middle, it is finished cooking.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise and scoop the potato middles out of each one into a large bowl.
- Add the heavy cream, cheese, chicken, and bacon to the potato middles and mix well.
- Scoop the potato mixture back into each potato skin and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350º F for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot as a meal or side dish.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
This post was updated from an older July 2020 post with more recipe details and oven baking options.
Looking for more? Get my FREE Gluten Free Lemon Desserts E-Cookbook when you sign up for my weekly recipe newsletter!