One bite of these fluffy Gluten Free Apple Cider Donuts, and you will want to make them over and over again. They are full of delicious apple cider flavors. These are the best baked donuts; you can make them in under 30 minutes.
Guys, this is my new favorite recipe...these donuts are so fluffy and so full of apple cider flavor. It is like your favorite fall flavors in a fluffy doughnut! I have been working on this recipe for a few weeks on and off, and I am really glad I have finally nailed it! Let me know what you think!!
If you love donuts, check out all of my delicious Gluten Free Donuts Recipes.
Why These Donuts Are Great:
- They are packed with apple cider flavor, and you do not have to cook and reduce the cider!
- These gluten free apple cider donuts are full of fall flavors, but you can enjoy them all year long!
- I bake these donuts in the oven instead of frying them, so they are lower in calories!
- You can make these in a donut mold, donut pan, or a little donut maker like Babycakes Donut Maker. (I use this donut maker in most of my donut recipes.) I recommend the silicone donut mold I link above. Getting the donuts to release onto the cooling rack is really easy.
I just made your apple cider donuts. Absolutely amazing!!Debbie H.
You may also want to try my Gluten Free Apple Cider Cake. It is the perfect snack cake for fall!
- Gluten Free Flour Blend - I tested this recipe using King Arthur Measure For Measure. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours, and I can not guarantee the recipe will work if you use other mixes.
- Xanthan Gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add one teaspoon.
- Baking Powder - I highly recommend using aluminum-free baking powder.
- Baking Soda - Any brand should work as long as it is gluten free.
- Sugar - Use regular white sugar and not powdered sugar.
- Ground Cinnamon - I like McCormick and Penzey's brands because they are gluten free.
- Apple Cider - Use a good apple cider. It will bring a lot of flavor to these gluten free apple cider donuts. You can use apple juice, but the flavor will not be quite the same.
- Eggs - Size Large.
- Butter - Use unsalted butter.
- Milk - I used almond milk, but any non-dairy or regular milk will work.
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350º F and be sure the oven rack is in the middle position.
Step 1: Add the dry ingredients to a large
Step 2: In a medium-sized bowl, add the wet ingredients. (I melt the butter until it is soft but not too hot.) Whisk the wet ingredients.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together gently. Do not overmix the batter. Overmixing = dense donuts!
Step 3: If you use a silicone donut mold, fill it with the apple cider donut batter. If you use a donut pan, spray it with coconut oil to prevent sticking. Fill each cavity with donut batter.
Step 4: Bake the donuts for 20-22 minutes. The actual time may vary depending on the size and depth of your donut pan. Place the donuts on a wire rack to cool when they are finished baking.
If you are using a donut maker, add the batter to the donut maker, and follow the manufacturer's directions for cooking time.
Step 5: Add the sugar and ground cinnamon to a bowl and stir them together.
Step 6: Melt one tablespoon of unsalted butter in a microwave-safe dish.
Step 7: Brush a donut lightly with the melted butter. This is the best way to get the cinnamon sugar to stick. Next, dip into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Be sure to coat the whole donut.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
If you want to try these in oil, you need to add more flour to make the batter firmer. As written, the donut batter is too soft to hold its shape to fry in oil.
You can easily make these apple cider donuts dairy-free by using a dairy-free butter like Smart Balance.
Store these apple cider donuts in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep fresh for up to 3 days. If you want them to last longer, I recommend freezing them. See below for instructions.
Yes, these donuts can be frozen. Place cooled donuts into a freezer bag and squeeze the excess air out. They will keep fresh for up to 4 months.
If you love apples, be sure to try these Gluten Free Caramel Apple Donuts too!
Made them they are delicious and easy to make."Kerry W.
More Gluten Free Donut Recipes:
- Fried Gluten Free Donuts. Coat them in powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or chocolate.
- These Gluten Free Vanilla Donuts are extra good from the pudding in the mix.
- Easy Gluten Free Lemon Donuts are one of the best ways to enjoy lemons.
- Gluten Free Jelly Donuts (aka Sufganiyot)
The Best Gluten Free Apple Cider Donuts
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend * see note
- ½ cup white sugar use regular sugar, not coarse sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder aluminum-free
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt sea salt is also okay
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg OPTIONAL
- 1 cup apple cider
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk or non-dairy milk
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. If you are using a donut maker, preheat the donut maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients (the first eight ingredients) and use a whisk to blend them.
- In a medium bowl, soften the butter and add the rest of the wet ingredients. Whisk to blend.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently. Do not over-mix the batter, or your donuts will turn out dense.
- Add the gluten free donut batter to a prepared donut pan or your donut maker. If baking the donuts, bake them for 15-20 minutes. The actual baking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of the donuts.
- Remove the donuts from the pan to a cooling rack and let them cool.
- Melt the additional butter and use a pastry brush to lightly coat the donuts with butter.
- In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar and coat each donut with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work. I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add one teaspoon.
- Store the donuts in an airtight container in your refrigerator. They will keep fresh for up to 3 days. Freeze them in a freezer bag for up to 4 months.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Looking for more? Get my FREE Gluten Free Lemon Desserts E-Cookbook when you sign up for my weekly recipe newsletter!