If you are looking for a quick and easy soup, this homemade Chicken Soup with Mushrooms and Wild Rice is a recipe you need to make! It has a ton of flavor, but you only need a few simple ingredients. Make this delicious soup in 30 minutes.
I love how easy it is to make homemade chicken soup when you are short of time. The lean chicken breasts cook in the soup, so there is no extra work! If you are looking for an easy recipe, make this soup.
This soup is great as a starter or light meal, or pack it in a thermos in your lunchbox! If you love soup, I have a lot of great easy gluten free soup recipes.
Why This Recipe Works:
- This soup works because you can make it in 30 minutes.
- It has many flavors and textures, making it a hearty filling soup.
- Kids love this soup.
- Customize the flavors by adding rutabagas, turnips, or parsnips.
- You can freeze this soup easily. I love to use Souper Cubes to freeze this soup in single-serving portions.
Tips For Success:
- Although I love to use chicken breast to keep this soup low-fat, you can also use chicken thighs, legs, or any chicken you have on hand.
- I highly recommend using wild rice in this recipe. You can use white rice if you can't find it in your local store.
- Once the soup is boiling, turn it down to a simmer.
- Save time by purchasing pre-cut carrots and celery.
If you love healthy soup, you may also love this simple Chicken Turmeric Soup recipe.
Here are the main ingredients in this homemade chicken rice soup with mushrooms. Don't forget this soup is naturally gluten free and has a dairy-free option.
- Chicken - Use skinless, boneless chicken breasts. Other parts also work well.
- Rice - I love to use wild rice in this recipe. You can see Is Rice Gluten Free to read more about possible cross-contamination of rice.
- Carrots, Celery, and Onions - These are staples for chicken soup. See Tips for Success for more vegetable ideas.
- Mushrooms - I used shiitake mushrooms, but any mushroom variety will work well.
- Chicken Broth - I used low sodium. You can read more about gluten and chicken broth to ensure no hidden gluten.
- Heavy Cream - You can use regular or non-dairy.
- Butter - Use salted.
- Parmesan Cheese - I recommend using grated and not shredded. VioLife makes a great dairy-free parmesan if you are dairy-free.
- Seasonings - I love using thyme in this soup recipe.
If you are looking for another mouthwatering chicken soup recipe, my Grandma's Homemade Chicken Soup is fantastic!
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
Step 1: Add oil to a soup pot. Add in the onions, carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes until the onions are transparent.
Step 2: Add the seasoning and raw chicken breasts.
Step 3: Add the rice, broth, and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 15 minutes, then turn the stove's temperature down to a simmer. Simmer 10 more minutes, then add the cream and stir.
Step 4: Remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Use two forks or these handy meat shredders to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Add the chicken back to the pot and stir.
Step 5: Add the parmesan cheese and any additional salt or seasonings. Mix and serve hot.
Serve this soup with:
Yes, you can easily make this soup dairy-free by omitting the parmesan cheese or using a dairy-free parmesan like the VioLife brand.
Store this chicken rice soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can also freeze it in Souper Cubes in single-serve portions.
More Gluten Free Soup Recipes:
- Grandma's Homemade Chicken Soup
- Slow Cooker Gluten Free Mushroom Soup (stovetop directions too!)
- Creamy Gluten Free Corn Chowder
- Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
Chicken Rice Soup with Mushrooms
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1 pound chicken breasts boneless is easiest
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- ⅓ cup onion diced
- ½ cup carrots chopped
- ⅔ cup mushrooms
- ⅓ cup celery chopped
- ¾ cup wild rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
Add After Boiling:
- 1 cup milk or ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- In a soup pot, add the butter, onions, carrots, mushrooms, and celery. Sauté for 5 minutes until the onions are clear.
- Place the raw chicken breasts on top of the veggies, add the seasonings and rice.
- Pour in the broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Boil the soup for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breast to a cutting board and use two forks or meat shredders to shred the chicken. Add it back to the pot and stir.
- Add the cream and parmesan. Stir and serve hot.
- You can use button or any mushroom. I like to use shiitake.
- Feel free to use either low-sodium or regular chicken broth.
- If you are dairy-free, you can use plant-based butter and dairy-free milk or cream.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days, freeze for up to 4 months.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Simplifying the art of baking and cooking gluten-free recipes.