Creamy gluten free mushroom soup that is made in your slow cooker, this delicious soup cooks while you are at work or school! (And don't worry, I include directions for making this recipe stovetop too!)
If you love soups, you will want to check out all of my delicious gluten free soup recipes. There is a soup recipe for every season including cold soups for summer!
Click for Table of Contents:
When is the last time you had mushroom soup? For me, it has been years. A few months ago my daughter posted a question on my Instagram asking what gluten free foods readers would like to see on my blog. Two different people chimed in that they missed mushroom soup!
Well, I make mushroom soup often yet I never wrote it up for the blog. It completely slipped under my radar! I am so glad I can help readers by offering a flavorful simple gluten free mushroom soup recipe to make.
What mushrooms are best for soup?
You can use so many different mushroom types for this soup recipe. This time I used cremini mushrooms, but most white or brown mushrooms are all fine. Here are some more fun mushrooms for soup:
- Lion's Mane
For this soup, I chose to use my Crock Pot (aka slow cooker). This is a great dump and go soup. You can cook the onion and garlic ahead and then add it to the slow cooker, or just dump all of the ingredients into your Crock Pot if you are in a hurry.
Making mushroom soup from scratch is simple! I like to cook my onion and garlic slightly before adding it to my slow cooker. I feel like this gives a more caramelized flavor to the soup.
Are you ready to give this easy slow cooker mushroom soup a try?
The first step is to cook the onion and garlic. In a sauté pan, add the oil, onion, and garlic. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add the onion and mushrooms to your slow cooker.
Pour the rest of the liquid ingredients and seasonings in. Cover and set the slow cooker to cook. If you want the soup sooner, cook on high for 4 hours. If you want this soup to cook while you are at work, cook on low for 7 hours.
How do you thicken soup?
I thickened my mushroom soup with tapioca starch, but you can also use corn starch or potato starch. All three starches are gluten free and are great for thickening soup.
Lumps are such a pain when you are trying to thicken the soup. My best secret to avoid lumps is to put the thickener in a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup hot soup broth and whisk quickly to blend. Add 1/4 cup additional soup and whisk. Pour the mixture into your soup pot and mix well.
Can you freeze soup?
This mushroom soup recipe is definitely freezable. To freeze this soup, I like to use these Soup Cubes because they freeze my soup in single portions. It is easy to defrost stovetop or in a microwave oven. Freeze your soup in this cube container, then move the frozen soup cubes to a ziplock freezer bag.
Can you make this soup stovetop?
You can definitely make this soup stovetop! Add your oil and brown the onion and mushrooms like you would for the slow cooker version. Add the rest of the soup ingredients to the soup pot, cover, and simmer on low for 30 minutes. Add thickener and whisk to blend.
Why not dip some delicious Gluten Free Focaccia Bread into this soup?
More soups to try:
- This gluten free Zuppa Toscana Soup is also easy to make in your Crock Pot.
- Gluten Free French Onion Soup is great all year long!
- If you hate food waste, this easy Chicken Vegetable Soup is a great way to use up vegetables in the back fo your refrigerator!
- If you have an Instant Pot, this Instant Pot Chicken Soup recipe is my Grandma's classic recipe converted to be made in the Instant Pot!
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons mushroom umami
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch (for thickening!)
- In a pan, add the butter, onion, and garlic and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion mixture to your slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients except the tapioca starch.
- Cover the slow cooker with a lid and set to cook on high for 4 hours or 6 hours on the low setting. Even better if your Crock Pot has a setting where it starts cooking on high and switches to low automatically.
- When the soup is done, garnish with sour cream, parsley, or thyme.
1. See above in the post for stovetop cooking directions.
2. I bought the mushroom umami at Trader Joe's. If you can't find it, substitute with miso paste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 619mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g
**If your gluten free flour blend doesn't include Xanthan Gum, please add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon! **Please note this nutrition information is calculated by a recipe plugin and is an estimate based on the ingredients used in this recipe.